Taxol and Constipation - Help!

Taxol and Constipation - Help!

Posted by scaredysquirrel on Jul 12, 2017 10:23 am

Not a subject I like to discuss, but alas I seem to be suffering from chronic constipation with the Taxol treatments.  I can "sort of" go, but it is not much.  I took a couple of Senokot tabs last night but I don't want to get dependent on them.  I may try following the schedule the hospital gave me of increasing the Senokot - at least today.  I'm thinking of calling the nurse's help line.  I probably didn't drink enough water the day after my treatment.  I usually drink as much water the day after as the day before.  Any suggestions?

Re: Taxol and Constipation - Help!

Posted by Pokie on Jul 12, 2017 11:29 am

The nurses gave me a list of foods to eat to help with constipation and a receipe for a prune type spread, plus using the Senokodt. They are a great resource for dealing with side effects.
all the best

Posted by scaredysquirrel on Jul 12, 2017 12:59 pm

Pokie, thanks.  I will ask my nurses next Monday.  I don't see my Oncologist unitl July 20th so I will make sure to ask the nurses and maybe the Dietitian hot line.

Posted by sundog on Jul 13, 2017 8:51 pm

I had Senokot by prescription throughout my treatments, as well as another laxitive that was prescribed. They gave me a schedule to take them on as it was a common side effect. I took them on schedule and had no issues. I also drank 6-8 cups of water every day during treatment. I would not worry about being dependent on them at this point as they are just during your treatment to counteract what the taxol and steroids are doing to you. 

Posted by sundog on Jul 13, 2017 8:55 pm

Just reading the other thread about taxol fatigue, and yes, Docusate was the other drug they prescribed for me. 

Posted by Elsie13 on Jul 17, 2017 3:46 pm

I used Lax-A-Day.  That sort of worked, or worked a bit too well sometimes!?  Also I had toasted oatmeal bread most days for breakfast. 

Posted by scaredysquirrel on Jul 25, 2017 3:53 pm

My bowel problems seem to be okay now.  I took only one Senna last night after my treatment and it was not as hard on my system.  I think I don't need the 2 tabs as suggested.  Anyway, I'm mostly drinking lots and lots of water before and after treatment and eating lots of fiber.  Mother nature is really amazing once you get her on track again!!

Thanks everyone!