HPV+ Throat Cancer: What to Expect in Treatment

Re: HPV+ Throat Cancer: What to Expect in Treatment

Posted by JamesT on Feb 19, 2019 10:42 pm

Hello DaveClauser‍ 

Saliva production is still very low.  Still have a dry mouth...

I need to use the xylimelts at night time and have water with me all the time.

There are still foods I won't eat, cause I know they will be too dry.

What's very much improved is my ability to taste and eat anything I want without it hurting my throat.

So much improved vs where I used to be.

Sincerely,

James

Posted by Vincenzo06 on Mar 12, 2019 12:14 pm

Hello all....any experience on related subject to share here is much appreciated.

I am week 4 post treatment for HPV base of tongue SCC....and now in recovery which I am finding as difficult as treatment.   I have PEG tube still as my throat is still burning and too sore to swallow solid food.  I can drink water but that is about it.  I also still have so much phlegm I have to carry a cup to spit in and a napkin to wipe every where I go.

I am getting very impatient with the recovery process and not being able to eat by mouth.  Anyone with similar issues/experience and thoughts or suggestions I would really appreciate.  Maybe just slow down and give it more time?  

I guess it took 7 weeks of radiation to kill the tumor so maybe it takes about the same for the healthy remaining tissue to heal?

Posted by Brighty on Mar 12, 2019 12:21 pm

Welcome Vincenzo06‍ ! Glad you found us.   unfortunately ,  recovery can be a very slow process.    I'm going to tag JamesT‍  here who can share his experience  with you.     

Posted by Wendym on Mar 13, 2019 2:09 pm

Thank you for all of the information.  I have a question that might seem trivial but were you able to get yourself to the hospital for treatment or did that become difficult with regards to fatigue.  My husband is on day 4 of radiation and did have the chemo on day one.  

Thanks so very much,

Wendy

Posted by Brighty on Mar 13, 2019 2:14 pm

Wendym‍  that's not the least bit trivial    I wouldn't  suggest driving yourself to treatment.   Just my opinion.     My fiance  had too much fatigue  and was unable  to drive.   Some people  do.   BUT I would recommend  it.   

Posted by Brighty on Mar 13, 2019 2:15 pm

Wendym‍  sorry.. typo..  I meant to write I would not recommend  it.

Posted by Wendym on Mar 13, 2019 3:05 pm

Thank you for your response, I figured it would be difficult.

Posted by JamesT on Mar 14, 2019 1:14 am

Hello Vincenzo06‍ 

Yes, unfortunately the recovery is a slow process and where it seems like it is taking forever for improvements the months start to pass and soon enough you will look back and say, wow it's so much better now than what it was.  Now appreciate I am saying that after 18 months.

The radiation does take a toll on your body.  I still have big issues with my mouth being so dry.  Hopefully that improves with some more time.

Sincerely,

James

Posted by JamesT on Mar 14, 2019 1:18 am

Hello Wendym‍ 

That question varies by person.

For myself I was able to drive myself a lot of the time, but then I did find as the pain increased and my pain killers were increasing, it was making it dangerous to drive myself.

It really depends how your husband is feeling.  There might be days that are better than others that driving would be ok, and others that aren't.

Sincerely,

James

Posted by christines on Mar 14, 2019 6:00 am

i agree with most of what you say but m mouth is my bigget problem i had 35 pouts of radiation on a bac kof the tongue tomur 
cat scan show everything is fine. but with in the last 18 months i enedddup with two trhoat operations i was spiting up ice cube size blood cloots they say it was ulcers and very serious operation since that time have not been apple to swallow the size of a pee or drink i am on a g tube and everthing must go thru that,  am used to it know o no problem, but i till experience burning sores in my throat  /restriction on my throat likes it narrowing m tongue has shrunk to half it size and i have troublrespeaing and this has not gottnn any better in 15 monthss and  cannot find someone who is welling to look o how tho fx tl or if there i some prescripton exercise or minor operation that can
be done

Share with your friends: