Dietary supplements, Natural remedies versus traditional treatments and Information overl...

Re: Dietary supplements, Natural remedies versus traditional treatments and Information overload.

Posted by Essjay on Jan 5, 2020 6:42 pm

Hi Dot75‍ I’m sorry about your husbands diagnosis. I think your questions are great ones for the oncologist tomorrow, they should be able to refer you to your centres dietician for some expert advice. We have to be honest about supplements when going through treatment - there are some contraindications.

well done on your 65lb weight loss by the way - totally awesome. No wonder you knee feels better :)
Triple Negative Breast Cancer survivor since July 2018

Re: Dietary supplements, Natural remedies versus traditional treatments and Information overload.

Posted by Brighty on Jan 5, 2020 6:44 pm

Hi Dot75‍  although I'm no expert  I have read posts on here about  certain vitamins counteracting the effects of the chemo.    I would say to wait to talk to the doctor before giving him  vitamins or suppliments .   
​​​​​
Help is out there. All you have to do is reach out.

Posted by Buffythevampire on Jan 5, 2020 8:03 pm

Dot75‍ I also would agree that you should wait to talk to the Oncologist before giving any supplements/vitamins. During my chemo, my red and white blood cells were low and I looked online for foods that might raise the levels up. It did raise the levels up for me slightly (one time at least). Iron rich foods are liver (yuck!) or beef and I believe spinach. I remember my Oncologist saying I wasn't allowed to take a probiotic but I was allowed to eat probiotic yogurt (Activia)

Posted by Dot75 on Jan 5, 2020 9:09 pm

Thank you for the advice, I will talk to the oncologist tomorrow about what supplements if any could he possibly take.  The problem with food that would be good for him is that he doesn’t eat much of any variety.. eggless are leas or corn, meat is beef only no organ meats...and of course he likes the unhealthy processed lunch meats....milk cheese butter...no yogurt etc.  Makes it very hard to feed this man nutritious food. Of course he like desserts too lol...we eat. Dry different indeed.

Posted by Cynthia Mac on Jan 6, 2020 7:00 am

Dot75‍ , Good luck at the oncologist’s appointment today!

Chiming in with what my Dad was told - no supplements unless the oncologist says so! Because of the chemo he is on, (and it varies from patient to patient), he has to take B12 and Folic Acid. He also takes a calcium plus D3, but this is for his osteoporosis, not his cancer. Dad has never had an issue with iron, so I can’t help you with that.

Like Buffythevampire‍ Says, Dad’s oncologist said he can’t take antioxidant supplements (Vitamin C, turmeric capsules), but he can still eat foods that have  these things in them - oranges, curries, and blueberries - as long as he doesn’t overdo it (he said, for example, not to sit down and eat a whole bag of oranges...)

What I can recommend to you is to hide veggies into his food - spinach is especially “hideable”: I layer it into lasagna, chop it into meatloaf, hamburgers, and pasta sauce. A half cup of beans (kidney beans, baked beans) has 25% of an average person’s daily iron requirements, so you could substitute the egg in a meatloaf for beans to bump up the iron content, and you could sneak ground beans into a pasta sauce (or almost any sauce, really - Sechewan, hoisin - but he probably doesn’t eat those, based on what you’ve written.) I’ve even heard of people hiding vegetables in cake. Jerry Seinfeld’s wife wrote a cookbook about substituting vegetables in food.
“When the root is deep, there is no reason to fear the wind.” - Japanese saying

Posted by Dot75 on Jan 6, 2020 9:41 am

Well we got a call this morning that we have to be at the hospital early so they can repeat his blood work,it was too low on Sat.  Fingers crossed that the chemo will proceed.  I will e asking about supplements I can give him.  Thank you to all of you! 

Posted by Lacey_adminCCS on Jan 6, 2020 10:06 am

Dot75‍ 

Looking forward to hearing how it goes today! I hope you get answers and all is well for treatment.

Lacey

Posted by Dot75 on Jan 6, 2020 3:18 pm

Well an update on the chemo for today....chemo has been cancelled for a week because his white count was too low.  The oncologist said supplements won’t help but they also won’t do any good...he said save your money!! I’m going to continue with the D3 though and the magnesium.  It is okay to give stool softeners etc.  He has put him on an injection starting on the fifth day after chemo.  This will boost the white cell count and we won’t have to miss any more chemos. The side effects could be headache, leg ache (which he has anyway) said take a Tylenol if he has a headache. Blood work will be this Sat. Again and then chemo on Monday.  I have rescheduled all the blood work apts again.   Thank you again for all the advice...now I will teach myself how to give him these injections. 

Posted by Cynthia Mac on Jan 7, 2020 8:40 am

Dot75‍  having chemo treatments postponed is something that happens, I’ve learned. Dad’s had to have several moved back over the course of his two runs. 

Your doctor said the same thing as my doctor! (Actually, mine shrugged, and said, “It’s your money.” Not exactly a ringing endorsement, eh!)

One thing about taking Tylenol when you’re in chemo: because chemo suppresses the immune system, chemo patients are often told to watch for fever, as this can be an early sign of an infection. When Dad was on one of his chemo meds, they had him taking his temperature every day, so as a precaution, I asked him to take his temperature before he took the Tylenol just so we could be sure he was OK before he took something that would “hide” that particular symptom. Your husband could be on a different chemo med, and this might not be necessary, but it’s something I thought you might find helpful.

Posted by Dot75 on Jan 7, 2020 9:36 am

Hi Cynthia MAC yes he has to take his temp to make sure there is no infection....that is a great idea to take his temp before taking the Tylenol. The oncologist did say to watch out for that because the Tylenol can mask the fever.  We have been taking his temp off and on so I will make sure I take it before he takes any Tylenol to be on the safe side. I have heard from another gal I know who had to take the injections and she said the pain was unbearable that she ended up smoking marijuana and I know my husband would have no part In That!!!  I am hoping for minimal side effects for him.
thanks again, Dot

Posted by Lacey_adminCCS on Jan 7, 2020 10:39 am

Dot75‍ 

I just wanted to say your husband is so lucky to have you organizing appointments, researching information, and talking to his medical team. It's not easy but you keep plugging along.

Do something nice for yourself today you deserve it!

The low blood count explains why he was so tired and had no energy!

Take Care,
Lacey

Posted by CentralAB on Jan 7, 2020 12:34 pm

Brighty:
Hi Dot75‍  although I'm no expert  I have read posts on here about  certain vitamins counteracting the effects of the chemo.    I would say to wait to talk to the doctor before giving him  vitamins or suppliments .   
​​​​​

This is probably the best advice for most cases now. I think that health care professions are becoming more open to "alternative" therapies and the like, so once a person is fully asseses and knows what they are dealing with, and what meds they will need, then they can decide on "alternative" medicine options. I have noticed in some of the documents posted in the beginning of this topic (back in 2015) talk about "studies" done, but when I read the details closer, I found that the studies were done with 18, 20, sometimes a little more people. Although the language used was "medical" sounding,  IMO those kinds of numbers are quite low to be able to make an informed decision. I am sometimes a bit of a health food nut, or a supplement nut, so I am not against them; I just think its important to be able to make informed decisions about what we put into our bodies, or use for adjuncts to traditional treatments.  I have learned over the years that one has to be careful about the conclusions sometimes being made for said supplements.

For eg, some supplements are water soluble, others are lipid soluble. And in some cases, these kinds of details can be missed, and then unintended consequences will happen. I think supplements are a generally good idea, but I would advise that people use them wisely. We still get "diet" advice from people once in a while. Seems as though there is no end to the different combinations one can find.

Posted by CentralAB on Jan 7, 2020 12:40 pm

Dot75:
Well we got a call this morning that we have to be at the hospital early so they can repeat his blood work,it was too low on Sat.  Fingers crossed that the chemo will proceed.  I will e asking about supplements I can give him.  Thank you to all of you! 

Your husband is blessed to have you for his advocate and helper. I hope you will let us know how it goes today. There are some supplements that are classed as food, and I think most of those should be ok to give, unless the doctor says other wise. I was thinking of protein powders. I use them a bit for my wife. They come in some good flavors and some even have fibre in them, or you can add a bit of fibre. Ensure makes a type of protein drink with vitamins and fibre. Most pharmacies or health food stores carry these items.

Posted by Dot75 on Jan 7, 2020 2:55 pm

Great idea about the protein powders...I tried him on boost he didn’t care for them and I myself use premier protein which has 30g of protein In each drink. I think he is getting sick of them lol....I do have protein powder and I could add that into some things like his pudding I make him.  Thanks for all the tips and ideas. Dot75

Posted by Cynthia Mac on Jan 8, 2020 8:09 pm

Thanks, CentralAB‍ , for reminding me about using protein powder to “bulk up” foods.