Let's discuss what you listened to

Let's discuss what you listened to

Posted by Nicole_admin on Dec 22, 2014 9:05 am

A few months ago we were discussing things to bring to chemo and one of the common themes was music. What songs would you include on a playlist for treatment, why would you include those songs?

Let’s discuss, what music did you listen to while going through treatment?

0849def47f8c9caa955a23e38a6aea03-huge-ja

Re: Let's discuss what you listened to

Posted by pixie on Dec 22, 2014 12:37 pm

Pharell's happy was played a lot. I also listened to Hole's Live through This. And Joey Ramone's Don't worry about Me. It was his last album before he passed from cancer. Live through This has always helped me through some tough times and Happy is simply a great song and I'm happy I lived through it (chemo).

Posted by Bethney on Jan 1, 2015 10:59 pm

Actually,  I listened to and watched the TV. I watched funny talk shows and it made the time seem to go quicker.

Posted by Toughestfrail on Jan 3, 2015 5:31 pm

Leonard Cohen helped allot.

' If It Be Your Will' was a favorite:

If it be your will
That a voice be true
From this broken hill
I will sing to you
From this broken hill
All your praises they shall ring
If it be your will
To let me sing

as was , ' Halleulah' , and ' 'Suzzanne' :

And Jesus was a sailor
When he walked upon the water
And he spent a long time watching
From his lonely wooden tower
And when he knew for certain
Only drowning men could see him
He said "All men will be sailors then
Until the sea shall free them"

And ' The Tower of Song' when I just wanted to chill to a hypnotic rhyttmn.

Posted by Christina M on Jan 3, 2015 7:27 pm

I mostly listened to anything by Loreena McKennitt - who is my absolute FAV!!  also my go to music to help with anxiety was my Indigo Dreams CD  which focuses on relaxation with visualization, breathing exercises and relaxing music. 

Posted by Windancer on Jan 5, 2015 7:44 am

Bethney wrote:
Actually,  I listened to and watched the TV. I watched funny talk shows and it made the time seem to go quicker.
I agree, while everyone has their "own" way of handling the treatments, there is no right or wrong thing. I tended to watch light hearted comedies or things that made me happy. IMO you had to very somewhat careful in your music selection because as wonderful as music is you did not want it to even remotely bring you down during this time.

Terry
"Never Give Up, Go Around, Go Over, Go Through but Never Ever Give Up".

Posted by Addie on May 15, 2015 10:56 am

I brought my laptop and a DVD series. As I didn't have much chance to watch it at home. It made me actually look forward to my treatments in order to watch my show.

Posted by cancertakesflight on Aug 19, 2015 7:56 pm

I never listened to music or watched TV or DVDs. I made the mistake of thinking that I could read a book. I was too tired to read and not tired enough to sleep. I often felt like I was in limbo. I didn't have a DVD player or an ipod. It might have been a great purchase and made the treatments fly by if I had at least one of these items. I did manage to sleep through most of a five hour treatment. The volunteer darted over to see me as soon as she saw me open my eyes. She had to make sure that I had a least one candy during my treatment in the cancer suite. It sounds so luxurious.
Laughter is a lifestyle choice. www.laughterandcancer.com/blog

Posted by bethS on Aug 19, 2015 8:38 pm

I take my iphone which has a music app on it but i fall asleep for the most part.  I was going to wtch a movie on netflix on my ipad but just never got around to going all the way down to the shop to buy wifi time.... would sleep through a movie, as well so perhaps that's not such a bad thing!!

Posted by walsh8 on Nov 29, 2015 6:36 am

Rachel Platten's. Fight Song.....It gives me courage.
This time of year.....Zu Zu's Petals.   .....also gives me hope.

Posted by scaredysquirrel on Feb 3, 2017 10:26 pm

I have an MP3 player loaded with songs my dear husband hand picked for me.  I was already playing thme daily on my trip to work before I even got diagnosed with breast cancer.  One of my favorite songs is "Lullaby" by Sean Mullins.

"EVERYTHING'S GOING TO BE ALL RIGHT, ROCKABYE.."

Posted by jorola on Feb 4, 2017 1:17 pm

Mick didn't listen to music but he had an anthem going to his radiation treatment:

Radioactive by Imagine Dragons

It was his ringtone on his cell and he would play it every time he went into his treatment.

Oi
Live, Laugh, Love

Posted by Lacey_adminCCS on Feb 4, 2017 2:02 pm

Sounds like he has a great sense of humour! 

Posted by PatClax on Feb 8, 2017 2:34 pm

Depending on the group of patients in the chemo clinic that particular day, we would chat with each other or watch TV.  Most often we were like our own little support group, much like this discussion board, giving each other tips on coping with side effects, swapping recipes, etc.  Usually the most senior patient would dictate what we watched on TV -- it was either HGTV and we all would drool over the Property Brothers or watch game shows :)  Some people would bring books with them but they would be put away before they were really opened and they would join in on the discussions.

Posted by Lacey_adminCCS on Feb 8, 2017 2:47 pm

Hi PatClax,

That sounds so nice- truly making the most of a tough time. Human connection is so important!

Did you keep in touch with anyone?
Are you still taking time to enjoy the property brothers on TV :) ?

Lacey

Posted by scaredysquirrel on Feb 27, 2017 2:20 am

Hey thanks for the suggestions! I have an IPOD and an IPAD, but I also have a portable DVD player I could bring.  I don't have WIFi so that might be an idea.  I also have an MP3 player.