Lets Talk Chemo

Re: Lets Talk Chemo

Posted by Buffythevampire on Aug 18, 2019 7:05 pm

I don't know if it's possible or not, but this last batch of grastofil injections seems to have bigger needles. They hurt!! I got my last batch of injections in 2 parts as they were out. The first 2 were normal but the last 2 hurt. I am not sure if my stomach is more tender. I have 1 more left and I am contemplating freezing the area to make it hurt less.

Posted by Treepeo on Aug 18, 2019 9:42 pm

Hi Buffythevampire‍,

The needles aren't bigger.  Your stomach does start to hurt after a while.  That is why they suggest that you keep rotating where you inject, to make it less likely that you will develop sore spots.  But even though I rotated, my stomach hurt too.  Sometimes the injection itself hurt and sometimes not.  I never knew what to expect.  The other thing is that when you clean the area first with an alcohol swab, make sure it is completely dry before you inject, otherwise it will sting.

I seem to recall that we were sort of on the same schedule.  Aren't you close to finishing your chemo?  I am now done and also finished my last Grastofil injections.  What a relief!  I never felt my chemo was over until I had finished my seven days of injections.  I bet you feel the same way.

Posted by Buffythevampire on Aug 18, 2019 10:12 pm

Treepeo‍ I do rotate from left to right of my belly button. I have one more injection tomorrow. I still have 1 more cycle to go also. I will have to wait a little longer for the alcohol area to dry just in case that's the reason.

Posted by Treepeo on Aug 19, 2019 10:27 am

Buffythevampire‍, some injections seem to hurt regardless of what you do.  And I also found that during my last three cycles in particular, I started getting internal pains in my abdomen.  I don't think they list that as a possible side effect, but I am convinced that these injections caused me some abdominal discomfort as well.  But it is all worth it, given that it boosts our immune system.  We need all the help we can get.

So after this you only have one more chemo session to go?  Oh my gosh, you must be so happy!  You are almost done with this part of your treatment.  What a relief it will be when you no longer have to deal with all of this stuff.  I am so happy for you.

Posted by Buffythevampire on Aug 19, 2019 2:30 pm

Treepeo‍ So today, I looked at my last needle after I took the protective cover off of it. I noticed it was crooked. I thought great, this is definitely going to hurt. But surprisingly it didn't. Must have found the right spot. Phew!! No more injections for a few weeks now.

My stomach has been off too. Got told by my Doctor to eat Probiotic yogurt. It's weird, I can almost feel things move in my stomach. It feels better when I put my hand on it. 

Posted by Buffythevampire on Aug 21, 2019 6:50 pm

So this is a first for me, the past few days I am actually struggling to finish eating a meal. Went out for dinner last night ordered a burger and took half the burger and fries home. In a way, I am glad as I have gained way too much weight. I am going to scale down on the portions.