+ Reply
Duodenum Cancer
DCS
3 Posts
Had surgery in December seeing oncologist tomorrow for consult I joined so I can get an idea of what I’ll be going through on this journey
4 Replies
Trillium
2372 Posts

@DCS - I’m going to tag a few members with duodenum cancer who hopefully can share with you. All the best with your consult tomorrow.

@MBR @cb66 @Lilly74 @Starrynight @Michou @rebootbill @KLB

#duodenum

cb66
18 Posts
@DCS
Hello DCS, No idea which section of my small intestine that my mass was located but I had surgery to remove it at the end of Oct ‘22. Pathology showed margins were clear but 1 of 12 lymph nodes were positive. Saw the oncologist on Dec 9 and was told that adenocarcinoma in the small intestine was quite rare. It would take decades to produce studies as they see 1 case every 5 years or so. To hopefully prevent a recurrence she recommended, at that time, that I do 8 cycles of IV Oxaliplatin and Capecitabine pills to clean up any rogue cells that may have broken away during surgery. She said it had to be started 8-12 weeks after the surgery date. She strongly recommended that I cancel a planned family vacation to Mexico in February which I sadly decided to do. I was given to Dec 20th to decide if I would choose to go ahead. My concern was the extensive list of possible side effects...it all sounded overwhelming and quite devastating. Once she told me that a recurrence would be treatable but no longer curable, doing nothing did not seem like a sensible option though. By the time decision day had rolled around my oncologist had discussed with colleagues and based on the fact that they had recently reduced the clean up treatment for colon cancer to 4 cycles they decided it made sense to follow the same guideline. Start date was Jan 17th. Treatment known as CAPOX consists of 2 hrs of IV infusion at BC Cancer and 2 weeks of pills to take home, followed by a 1 week break before starting the cycle over again. Also prescribed a steroid and anti-nausea medications. No expert, I am only 5 days in. Side effects have been manageable but at times challenging. Cold sensitivity, extreme prickly feeling in arm that had the infusion, annoying tingling in fingers and toes only relieved by applying a heating pad, first bite syndrome and fatigue are the main ones. Hope this isn’t too much info. Feel free to reach out anytime.
DCS
3 Posts

@Trillium
Thank you much appreciated

DCS
3 Posts

@cb66
I had much the same conversation with my chemo Dr yesterday I had a foot and a half of my small intestine taken and 12 lymph nodes 2 of which had cancer present He says the prognosis is very good so I just have to get through the next 6 months of CAPOX Also cancelled my plans for Europe travel til next year Right now I’m just happy to be on the right side of the grass and will take it as it comes

+ Reply