+ Reply
Prostate Cancer
Rmandev
1 Posts
Hello all. Nice to meet everyone.

A little about me. I was diagnosed at 52 with Stage IIIC Prostate Cancer in August 2020 with a Gleason score of 9. I am 2 years post RP, have had 33 rounds of EBRT and 1 year of ADT with Eligard. Pathology post-op revealed spread to margins and bladder neck. Last check up in July 2022 showed no cancer thankfully but the residual Eligard effects may have contributed to that so the next check up/blood work will be very important. I’m trying to deal with the physical changes which I have no choice but to try to accept, but definitely finding some of the unseen issues, the mental side of things, equally tough. Sleep doesn’t come easy many nights which is something I never had any issue with previously. And I have lost alot of my easy-going nature and am quick to anger which is unlike me. I definitely don’t laugh like I used to, I’m a lot more serious and intense or so I have been told.

I’m told I’m lucky as there are treatments, but somehow it doesn’t feel that way. I’m hoping the community will be a source of positivity that I need very much. Life over limb, I get that, but peace and tranquility are also needed and those are things I find lacking since I started this journey. I just want to get back to as close as my old self as I can.

I’m looking forward to interacting with, and learning from, others and their experiences. That’s enough for now, download over. :)

Thanks for reading.
4 Replies
Jackwb
437 Posts

@Rmandev Welcome aboard. I'm about 5 years into my journey, 2 years cancer free but now my PSA indicates that the cancer is coming back. More bloodwork in a couple of weeks and we'll see how I'm doing.

I too had issues with sleep after surgery and have found that a little CBD oil before bedtime has made a huge difference. I learned this from friends and family who also have issues…cancer, arthritis, other surgeries. We all use different products and strengths…I use Reprise Max oil, 0.3 ml before bed…best night's sleep ever with no buzz or side effects. My 93 year old mother uses something similar to deal with joint pain after a shoulder and knee replacements and swears by it.

Whitelilies
2656 Posts

@Rmandev Hello…..this community will surely support you, and share positive experiences and more….

For Peace & Tranquility…..I find Mother Nature, is best to soothe the soul……get outdoors daily…a brisk walk….crunch the leaves beneath your step…..inhale the cool air….look at the sky……I even JUST sit, on a park bench…and think….out with negative thoughts….and IN with positive ones!

Self care - also can aid with peace…..do ONE thing, a day, that makes YOU calm/happy. Tea? Coffee? Ice Cream? Good book? Good movie? Just carve out some ME time…..and enjoy the peace return…..

Let us support you.

Warmly

Whitelilies

#Peace and Tranquility

Bluenoser13
86 Posts

Hi @Rmandev

I was very similar to your diagnosis as well and had an RP followed by 33 radiation sessions.

It’s a natural feeling to be “off” the way you felt before your surgery. You have experienced a major change in your body and life and are learning to accept those changes.

like @Whitelilies said, I too found some anger relieve walking, reading and talking to those closest to me about my experiences.

We all have our own path and have to learn to adapt to our “new” life. There may also be some help from your cancer team that can provide some other professional folks that you could talk with.

We are here for you so please keep us posted in as much as you feel comfortable in doing so. Thanks and take car, you’ve got this!

DSJ
156 Posts

@Rmandev Hi. It seems we have a very similar history. I was diagnosed in September 2020 with advanced PCa, had an RP in December which wasn't fully successful, then started ADT in March 2021 and RT started a few weeks later (33 sessions / 66 Gys). PSA has been undetectable since then and I continue on ADT until April 2023 (2 years).

You are one of the very few people I am aware of who also went through the same treatment very rapidly and in retrospect I am beginning to realize it has been very tough to deal with all of the side effects over such a short period of time. Throw in developing lymphedema, a brain tumor scare, and a few other things for good measure.

One thing I have observed is that we all respond differently to Eligard (leuprolide). I suffer most from joint pain and hot flushes while others don't but they may gain a lot of weight while my weight has been stable. It's a mystery.

As for the psychological effects it's pretty much a given that we will suffer from depression and anxiety from time to time. This is due to the fact that the huge reduction in testosterone also reduces estrogen to almost zero and there is a strong correlation between low estrogen in men and anxiety / depression. This all added to the loss of our male identity through the treatment and the fear and anxiety common to many cancer patients and things are bound to go south from time to time.

It's not you - it's the drug so don't blame yourself. According to my psychologist and my peer navigator's personal experience, it will take about one year before the side effects of Eligard will be gone. If I read your message correctly it seems you have at least 6 months to go still?

The best advice I got from one of Canada's top oncology psychologists and men's health experts was to exercise when feeling down and he was right. It works. I'm now into a regular exercise program twice a week at Wellspring and I love it. It's a cheap high.

Some other coping measures I employ is writing how I feel when I'm really down and angry or alternatively, to list all the things I feel grateful for. I find writing is therapeutic for me. Even writing this message is helpful.

If you have not done so, see if you can connect to a “peer navigator” (run by True North) if that program is offered in NB. Also, connect to a Prostate Cancer Support group. There are chapters across most of Canada and they usually meet twice a month. The good thing that comes out of this is in meeting other men who have undergone similar treatment and are doing fine. (70% of us will avoid recurrence for the next 10+ years.) While I don't speak with my Peer Navigator a lot, it is reassuring to know there is someone there who I can talk to who has been through what I am experiencing.

Hope this offers some useful ideas.

Best wishes and take care.

+ Reply