+ Reply
Ovarian cancer
MIB
12 Posts
I have a rare form of ovarian cancer called mesonephrotic like adenocarcinoma. I would like to connect with other ovarian cancer warriors/survivors.

How do you cope with side effects like neuropathy or mouth sores? How do you cope with bone pain?

How long have you been in remission , if this applies?

MIB
11 Replies
Sadie12
267 Posts

Hello @MIB

We've connected previously, so you may remember that I have been in remission for about 21 months from Stage 3 High Grade Serous Ovarian cancer.

I did suffer from neuropathy in my toes and pad of feet just behind the toes during chemo. It was mostly numbness, not much pain. I finished chemo in Mar 2021…the numbness has dwindled to very mild in the outer 3 toes, more on one foot than the other. I didn't really DO anything to prevent, manage or heal from it…although I swear that yoga contributes to my health and healing in many ways.

Our cancer centre provided a mouthwash recipe…¼ tsp baking soda, ¼ salt in 1 cup of water. Mix it daily, keep it beside the sink and rinse every time you walk by. My oncologist suggested making a batch for each sink so that you are constantly rinsing with it.

I only had pain for the 3 days following chemo...and I think I would describe mine as muscle pain. Xtra-Strength Tylenol did the trick but I know the nurses would have provided something stronger, if needed.

Are you still in chemo? I am sorry that you are having bone pain. I hope you find something that will help.

Sadie

Gutierv
10 Posts
Hello @MIB, I finished my chemo treatment last May. For mouth sore, I used the mouth wash recipe given by the hospital. I used it when I wake up, after eating and before going to bed at night. It really helped a lot. I had bone pain after chemo treatment but I think it was only after my first and second treatment. It was not that bad and it went away the next day. It was just hard to sleep. As for neuropathy, my finger tips and toes were a bit numb. I did not do anything and eventually it was gone.

When I felt something after treatment, I call the cancer centre of the hospital and they help me or if they don’t know the answer, they contact my doctor for answer and the call me back. The nurses in the cancer centre are really great.

I hope that you will feel better.

Glory22
41 Posts

@MIB Hello, I'm 44 and have previous hx of breast cancer (stage 1, diagnosed 2018) and stage 3 high grade serious OC (stage 3, diagnosed 2021). I'm in month 13 of NED. I take 500mg of Olaparip (Lynparza) daily and go for lab work and Avastin infusions every 21 days. I will continue with this maintenance plan for one more year. I ordered Prevention brand oncology mouthwash on Amazon and it worked great for me. I take Tylenol arthritis and use extra strength CBD cream for muscle and joint pain. During chemo I had slight neuropathy only in my fingertips and it's mostly gone away now.

@MIB
Good Morning

I had quite bad neuropathy in my feet, it went on several months after treatment. I used soft gel ice packs wrapped in damp thin dish towels. I iced them a couple times a day. I avoided anything hot, hot tub, hot shower etc. I also massaged them or had my husband massage them with sensitive skin Aveeno lotion.
The second rounds of chemo the nurses iced my feet and fingers during the treatments , this helped too.

I hope you find relief. Ruth

MIB
12 Posts

@Sadie12 Hi Sadie, I do remember you. Thanks for the encouragement.

I'm just waiting for my 3rd chemo.

I'll keep in touch.

Mary

MIB
12 Posts

@Sadie12 That's encouraging about neuropathy. Mine is in the heels and plantar area. I'm used to pins and needles in my fingers. I can still do up buttons etc.

The pain I felt did seem to be in the bones, but only

MIB
12 Posts

@Sadie12 Sorry, my phone keeps freezing. I use the mouthwash too, but just baking soda. I have a prescription mouthwash, but I haven't filled it because it is expensive. It will be a backup.

Congratulations on being cancer free for 21 months.

MIB

MIB
12 Posts

@Gutierv Thank you. That is encouraging. I felt much better in my third week. I was able to do more things.

Stay well.

MIB

MIB
12 Posts

@Glory22 Thanks for your post. Tylenol helps a bit. The pain lasts only a few days, but it's hard to walk.

Today is my third chemo. I'll see how it goes.

Best wishes for complete healing.

MIB

MIB
12 Posts

@DaisyDogsMa Thanks. My foot neuropathy isn't too bad. They've reduced one of my chemos to keep the neuropathy to a minimum. I can order magic mouth wash for the sores, but baking soda helps.

All the best, and thanks for replying to my inquiry.

MIB

MIB
12 Posts

@Glory22 I also use Voltaran and I have nerve pain medication

+ Reply