+ Reply
“End” of treatment and closure?!
Skye2
303 Posts
So, I’m 2.5 weeks out from my final breast cancer surgery, which was the last of my active treatments. Since March 2020, I’ve had 3 surgeries, 5 months of chemo as well as radiation. The only thing now is being on Letrozole.

To me, I felt relief and a sense of “closure” at having my last surgery, but as cancer survivors, are we ever truly over it? I do refer to my cancer in the past tense ie/ I had kidney cancer… I had breast cancer, and am told I’m cancer free, but sometimes I still feel like a cancer patient!
I know I will be watchful for any changes but I almost feel like I have a bit of a grace period since mine is so recent… I have to say though, I had a pretty good dose of “scanxiety “ when I went for my 2 year U/S follow up for my kidney cancer last February!!! It also freaks me out a bit that there is no follow up for my breast cancer!🤷‍♀️
Anyway, just thought it was an interesting point to ponder the “closure” aspect…. I look forward to hearing others’ perceptions.
Sue
3 Replies

@Skye2
Great ponderings for sure. My active treatment was completed in 2011 and I had 8.5 years of hormone therapy after that. On my last day of radiation I thought there would be some sense of “closure” - nothing. Just didn't have to go back the next day. No parade, no cupcake. My onc appointment 2 weeks later didn't give it to me either. I had decided to celebrate with a “I kicked cancer's a**” party but realized that mentally, it was still kicking my butt. So I held off on that for 4 months.

Now all these years later, for the most part I don't think about it ( except for being knee deep in it every day at work lol ) unless there is a bump, lump, ache or pain and then, because of my history, we have to do tests to eliminate “that”

With that, I say congratulations on having ALL those surgeries and treatments behind you and I hope there are MANY good days ahead of you now.

Don't forget to ring our virtual bell if you haven't already: https://cancerconnection.ca/discussions/viewtopic/80/66268

How is the surgery healing coming along?

Lianne

Skye2
303 Posts

@Lianne_Moderator
…healing well! Surgeon is happy anyway! I was having ongoing pain by the time I was supposed to go back to work, so asked for a few extra days off, and I’m glad I did. Pain is almost resolved, and I’ll be ready to start back to work on Monday.

@Skye2
Glad you got the extra time. Wishing you smooth sailing for Monday.

Lianne

+ Reply