+ Reply
Hi my name is Shakti . Today itself i have been diagnosed with breast cancer stage1 / Grade3 / HER2 +ve . Still not able to absorb the information . Don’t know what it means ?
Shakti
1 Posts

Breast cancer

3 Replies
Whitelilies
2536 Posts

@Shakti Hello Shakti and welcome to our caring community……I am sorry for your reason to join - you just received, today your diagnosis……you found a group of people who are eager to listen and share and support each other.

You already posted - this is terrific…..soon members will chime in and share their experiences, and support you.

Here is the breast cancer link-perhaps read through…..of others' experiences……some may be very similar to yours……ask a question, share feelings etc……we will respond.

Try NOT to check out Google; it is outdated, and not knowing your medical details or file……write down your questions……for your Dr…

Do you have an appt coming up?

Let us support you.

Welcome Shakti

Whitelilies

#Breastcancer #DCIC

@Shakti I understand how you feel. I was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2011 and I have not had a recurrence. I hope that gives you some comfort.

When I was diagnosed I was stage 2b. Her2 negative but ER and PR positive. I was stage 2.

Even just this much is a lot to understand right away. Cancer has its own language and it's no wonder that anyone has to try and understand everything in a short period of time. It will come with time. I used to tell myself, “Everything's okay until proven otherwise.” i dealt with things as they came. Take time to breathe.

@Whitelilies has given you a great link to follow to talk to more people who have or have cancer. @Runner Girl has experience with breast cancer and being HER2 negative. If yiu want me to see you next post you can type @ followed by cancertakesflight. When you are part way through typing matching user names come up. Click my name and it will get highlighted in blue.

Ask any questions you want.

cancertakesflight

Runner Girl
3008 Posts

@Shakti
Hello and welcome. I'm sorry you've received a breast cancer diagnosis. Thank you for the tag @cancertakesflight

Let me provide a little info on what you've got:

https://cancer.ca/en/treatments/tests-and-procedures/her2-status-test

HER2 is a protein that helps breast cancer cells grow quickly. Breast cancer cells with higher than normal levels of HER2 are called HER2-positive. These cancers tend to grow and spread faster than breast cancers that are HER2-negative, but are much more likely to respond to treatment with drugs that target the HER2 protein. https://www.cancer.org/cancer/breast-cancer/understanding-a-breast-cancer-diagnosis/breast-cancer-her2-status.html

This is a site that does a fantastic job of explaining breast cancer: https://www.texasoncology.com/types-of-cancer/breast-cancer/stage-i-breast-cancer

I was 52 in 2018 when I was diagnosed with IDC, ER+ and HER2+. I had a lumpectomy and sentinel node biopsy (clear). I was Stage IIA and Grade 3. Being HER2+ makes you Grade 3 - aggressive. Fortunately there are a number of treatments available for this. I had 6 rounds of chemo, 17 rounds of herceptin (for the HER2 protein - 1 full year, 1 treatment every 3 weeks, minimal side effects), 21 rounds of radiation. This has been followed by 2 years of Tamoxifen and just over a year of Anastrozole.

This cancer is highly treatable and you are in the very early stages so that is really to your benefit. You have a steep learning curve over the next short while, so try not to get overwhelmed. If you have any questions please reach out.

Runner Girl

+ Reply