+ Reply
Radiation or no
Jeannette
4 Posts
Hello, I am at my journey where I have to make the decision to complete the 16 doses of radiation for breast cancer . I am lost as to what to do and would like to hear about anyone who’s been stuck at this crossroads of whether or not to do radiation
7 Replies
Runner Girl
2886 Posts

@Jeannette
I had 21 doses of radiation for breast cancer. 16 whole breast and 5 boost (targeted at the tumor bed). I used the cream as directed by my radiation oncologist and while my skin reddened it did not break or blister. I would go at 7:30 am for my treatment and then go off to work for the day.

What are your concerns about having radiation?

Whitelilies
2440 Posts

@Jeannette Hello Jeannette and welcome from ON! I am sorry for your reason to join us here; but glad you have. You already posted - terrific…..members will soon chime in and answer your concern/radiation. (@Runner Girl already has)

Welcome Jeannette

Whitelilies

#Breastcancer

Jeannette
4 Posts

I am so very sorry for the loss of your mom. My heart goes out to you during these awful sad times in your life.

Jeannette
4 Posts

I have only had one consultation with my oncologist who suggested i take off time during the treatment and 4 weeks after becuase of the fatigue I will feel and burns to the skin. Also mentioned that by having radiation it will increase the risk of a new cancer by 1%. honestly it’s information overload and wanted to know what the experiences for others has been.
part of my wonders what it would be like if I declined the radiation treatment.

supersu
1295 Posts

@Jeannette
good morning from over here. sun is shining, and it looks like a beautiful summer day ahead here in Alberta. I hope the same for you wherever you are.

re: radiation
exactly 2 years ago I was off work, and was planning for return to my health care provider duties in just a few weeks. hard to believe how time flies. I had 16 sessions of radiation.
it was explained to me that the surgery got rid of the masses, but the radiation was the key to catching the rogue cells that may be elsewhere. I was told that the radiation DECREASED recurrence. I did have a few of the expected side effects, but nothing I couldn't handle.

I am happy to answer any questions about the process, as it happened here for me. ask away - no questions too big or too small around here.

I never really felt super fatigued, but certainly would have had I been working daily, (luckily I was fortunate enough to have a benefits plan and employer that covered my absence). being off of work was the best gift I have EVER given myself. happy to discuss that further as well.

let us know how things move along for you. have a great weekend.

cheers
su

#breastcancer #radiationtherapy #timetoheal

Jeannette
4 Posts

Thank you , your reply is most helpful. One of the toughest choice I have to make is allowing to give myself permission to take that time off and that I cannot control everything.

supersu
1295 Posts

@Jeannette

oh ya…..give yourself the permission!!!

I will say it again, if you can afford to live on a little less income, and work can manage without you: GIVE YOURSELF THE PERMISSION. ha ha ha

it honestly was the BEST summer of my adult life. now I realize COVID may have played into my situation; but I rested, I discovered enjoyable pastimes, and I connected in distanced person with a group of women who were not breast cancer patients or supporters in that way, but just friends.
I have never made time for social stuff like that, (too busy working), and we spent hours sitting in a field, on our lawn chairs, (thxs COVID-haha), sipping tea and jibber jabbering for hours.
it was magic.

could I have worked??? sure I could have worked.
as an adult that has gone thru some 💩 in my life; ya I could have pushed thru it as I have done in the past, but gurl…..just treat yo self.
when has there ever been a better time for that?

my mental health and physical health benefitted more than I probably even know.

best to you friend, as you make these hard decisions.

cheers
su

#permissiontoheal #treatyoself #YOUarenumberONErightnow

+ Reply