+ Reply
Introduction
bograni
6 Posts

Has anybody had any trouble uploading their profile picture? I seem to go about in circles on this site and unable to load my profile picture to introduce myself. I was diagnosed with Breast Cancer Her2 Positive last October in 2021 and started chemo (adriamycin cyclophosamide) for two months and then Taxol for 3 months (once a week every week for 3 months). I had a mastectomy (right breast) and DIEP in mid May and I had the most uncomfortable four weeks post surgery as my drains were removed four weeks after surgery. Unfortunately, the pathology report showed that the cancer did not regress enough. I am currently undergoing radiotherapy and will start another 6 months of chemo (xeloda). Can anyone tell me the side effects of xeloda please? Thanks and I am happy to connect on this site.

9 Replies

@bograni Welcome to the site. I'm sorry that you are having trouble posting your profile picture; however, when I look at your post, I do see what I believe is a picture of you. I clicked on your username, and you picture is displayed there. So I believe you have some success there.

As for xeloda, I went to the magnify glass in the top right corner of my screen, clicked on it, and put xeloda in the search field. This looks at all posts on the site for references to that medication. You can then look through the posts about it. If the side effects are not mentioned, you can ask questions by replying to those posts.

I am hoping that you got some information from your doctor and/or pharmacist about potential side effects. Also, please keep in mind, that not everyone reacts the same to medications so what may happen to one person does not mean it will necessarily happen to you, but you will have at least gained some real-world examples.

If you want to tag someone, if you type @ and then a few letters of their username (no space between @ and the name), a list of names will appear for you so that you can select the name you want. With that tag, the person associated with it will receive a message so that they know there is something for them to look at.

If you want to practice, type @ followed by cancertakesflight and I will reply to you to let you know that I saw your post.

Hang in there. You are not alone when you are on this site.

cancertakesflight

Runner Girl
2885 Posts

@bograni
I'm sorry you have to undergo more chemo.

Capecitabine is the generic name for the trade name drug Xeloda. In some cases, health care professionals may use the trade name Xeloda when referring to the generic drug name capecitabine.

Here is a link to a page with information about Xeloda: https://chemocare.com/chemotherapy/drug-info/xeloda.aspx

Side Effects:
Important things to remember about the side effects of capecitabine:

Most people will not experience all of the capecitabine side effects listed.
Capecitabine side effects are often predictable in terms of their onset, duration, and severity.
Capecitabine side effects will improve after therapy is complete.
Capecitabine side effects may be quite manageable. There are many options to minimize or prevent the side effects of capecitabine.
The following side effects are common (occurring in greater than 30%) for patients taking capecitabine:

Low white blood cell count (This can put you at increased risk for infection)
Low red blood cell count (anemia)
Nadir: Meaning low point, nadir is the point in time between chemotherapy cycles in which you experience low blood counts.
Onset: N/A
Nadir: 10-14 days
Recovery: N/A
Hand-foot syndrome (Palmar-plantar erythrodysesthesia or PPE) - skin rash, swelling, redness, pain and/or peeling of the skin on the palms of hands and soles of feet. Usually mild, has started as early as 2 weeks after start of treatment. May require reductions in the dose of the medication)
Diarrhea
Elevated liver enzymes (increased bilirubin levels) (see liver problems)
Fatigue
Nausea and vomiting
Rash & itching
Abdominal pain
These side effects are less common side effects (occurring in about 10-29%) of patients receiving capecitabine:

Poor appetite
Low platelet count (This can put you at increased risk for bleeding)
Mouth sores
Fever
Swelling of the feet and ankles
Eye irritation
Constipation
Back, muscle, joint, bone pain (see pain)
Headache
GI Motility disorder
Numbness or tingling (hands or feet)
Not all side effects are listed above. Some that are rare (occurring in less than 10% of patients) are not listed here. However, you should always inform your health care provider if you experience any unusual symptoms.

Wisesage
28 Posts

@bograni I am currently on capcetabine, just finishing cycle 4. The side effects @runnergirl posted are real. I could barely walk in my second week of cycle 1 on 3800 mg/day (body mass dependent) and then had huge shards of skin peeling off my feet on cycle 2, and very high bilirubin count at a reduced dose. They have played around with my dose again, I am now on a 50% one and had a week deferral as well, with much better results. Fatigue is less, bilirubin is normal limit, feet are still tender with neuropathy in the balls of my feet and toes, but I can function. Other than that it is so much easier to tolerate than IV chemo. 2 more to go! Just stock up on lanolin cream for hands and feet. I am try a product from Bass Farms in Indiana that is supposed to a miracle drug for skin issues, but not really an issue at this dose. Beat of luck to you. I too did not have NED after surgery, so this is a necessary evil to get through.

Mosi
214 Posts

@bograni
Your pic is showing up just fine. I’m on my 7th round of Capecitabine (2 weeks on, 1 off). It was difficult while having radiation as it amplified the effects of the radiation. I did have severe burns after the radiation treatments. They were managed by bandaging the area with lots of cerve and flamazine. Since radiation burns were addressed I have had no problems with Capecitabine. The foot and hand issues that @Wisesage has been dealing with are common I hear and my oncologist inspects my feet more thoroughly than any podiatrist 😂. No problems so far. I hope this is helpful. Please let m know if you are doing this chemo with radiation. I have tips. 😉

Kasey

bograni
6 Posts

@Mosi Thanks for your response. I am supposed to start Xeloda and they say it is safe alongside the radiotherapy. I do hope I do not have to deal with any burn issues in addition to all the fatigue.

bograni
6 Posts

@Wisesage Thanks for your response. I am waiting to start my second bout of chemo (Xeloda) and hope that I do not have any burn issues. I have two more weeks of radiotherapy to undergo and already the fatigue is getting to me.

bograni
6 Posts

@Runner Girl Thanks sooo much! You really have provided helpful info. Thanks again.

bograni
6 Posts

@cancertakesflight thanks for your warm response and yes, I do have enough info from the other responses as well as through navigating this site. Once more, many thanks :)

Mammabear
312 Posts

@bograni Sorry for your diagnosis. I HATED the drains. I threatened to have my nurse friend take them out at home if they didn't get rid of them after a few weeks.

I am stage 4 HER2+. As for the meds. I had taxol every 3 weeks for 4 cycles for cancer 1.0 and weekly for 5 months with my recurrence (what I call 2.0). Side effects were very different. I never had fatigue with the larger less frequent dose but did have body aches (walked like I was 100). With the small more frequent dose I had loads of fatigue and less body aches. HER2 reacted very well with taxol so hopefully between that and your other drug you can knock it on its a**.

+ Reply