+ Reply
My Dad was diagnosed with bile duct cancer
May11
1 Posts

Hi everyone. My name is Phuong. I’m living in Ontario. My Dad removed his gallbladder 12 years ago. Unfortunately, he was diagnosed with bile duct cancer in May 2022. Doctor said it was too late to do surgery and my Dad strongly refused chemotherapy. He’s living in Vietnam with my whole family.

It is extremely shocked for my Dad and my all family. My Mom, my sisters and I are supporting him but it’s really confusing. We don’t know what we should do. If anyone here has the same situation, please give me some help with your experiences of living with bile duct cancer with chemotherapy.

Thank you so much,
Phuong

4 Replies
Whitelilies
2440 Posts

@May11 Hello Phuong and welcome from ONT! So glad you reached out to us…..I am sorry, to hear of your dads' diagnosis, and he lives so far away……so challenging, on your entire family…..Please know you have found a caring community here……let us support you!

Please meet @lke92 @Kairol (From ONT) Thank you folks, so much….if you could share your experiences/for your loved ones, with Bile Duct Cancer, here, to support our brand new member @May11 (From ONT), as her father, has same diagnosis….I am hopeful to connect you all, together….for support and more….Much appreciation.

Phuong…..if you wish to reach out/'tag' a member; just type “@”screen name (no space after @), select name, turns blue, they receive your message…..

Keep sharing; we are listening!

Welcome Phuong

Whitelilies

#caregiving #bileductcancer

Runner Girl
2886 Posts

@May11
Here is some info from Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Centre in the US: https://www.mskcc.org/cancer-care/types/bile-duct-cancer-cholangiocarcinoma/treatment/chemotherapy#:~:text=The%20standard%20chemotherapy%20drugs%20for,and%20capecitabine%20(Xeloda%C2%AE).

And more information from the American Cancer Society: https://www.cancer.org/cancer/bile-duct-cancer/treating/chemotherapy.html

I hope this info lets you talk to your dad about his decisions and the possible choices he has.

lke92
8 Posts

@May11 Hey there. So sorry to hear about your dads diagnosis. Please know that you are not alone. My name is Lauren and I live in Listowel, ON. I am in a very similar situation as you - my dad was diagnosed in May and we just found out last week that surgery is not an option. He is getting 2 injections this week to try and slow the growth but we dont know any more than that. Unfortunately I don’t have a lot of answers for you but I just wanted you to know that you’re not alone and I am sending positive vibes to you and your family.

Cynthia Mac
3982 Posts
Hi, Phuong May11

It’s really hard to know how to support a loved one when there’s such a long distance involved. Your Dad is lucky to have all the family supporting him.

You’ve already got some good resources to get information, so I’m going to offer some suggestions for you to offer long-distance support.

I helped my Dad through two bouts of chemo when he had lung cancer, but I was nearby, so I could check in on him. For you, what I would recommend is to let your Dad “lead” - keep in touch with your family in Vietnam to give you updates as to how he’s feeling. He’s apt to have a few “low days” after chemo treatments, so that might not be a good time to call OR a call from you might just be the thing he needs to boost his spirits at that time!

There are things you can probably do from a distance to boost his spirits, too - with the Internet we can order flowers and fruit baskets, we can face-time and even play games with face-time, so if your Dad has a particular game you can both enjoy on-line, that might help him pass some time on days when he’s feeling good.

If you have any questions or want other ideas, just come here and ask.

#longdistancecaregiving
+ Reply