+ Reply
Still above ground !
CandiceRG
68 Posts
So I got COVID for the first time since the pandemic began on day 5 post chemo (when my side effects take a big uptake). It was without a doubt the sickest I have ever been. I was able to get IV Remdesivir as an outpatient which helped and kept me out of the hospital. Definitely do not want to go through this again. Any suggestions on what my spouse can do to not bring home illnesses while I'm so immunocompromised?
This has also postponed my chemo...next treatment isn't till July 15. I have my interim PET tomorrow....I'm wondering if the treatments stay the same will this delay reduce my likelihood of a cure? If the pet isn't showing good results it likely doesn't matter that there's a delay because I'll be changing treatment anyway.
10 Replies
Whitelilies
2447 Posts

@CandiceRG Hi Candice….I am sorry to hear that you got covid…..(yikes while having chemo….what a challenge)….

Ideas for hubby (and you) to curb the spread of covid, while home/while immuno-compromised……When he comes in the front door….LOTS of hand sanitizer….change clothes….straight to laundry basket….frequent/thorough wiping of “common touch” objects/areas - ie taps, tv converter, fridge door handle, microwave buttons, door knobs….let fresh air in the home-if possible….wash towels frequently…..and of course: Watch TV - 6 Feet Apart! (together…..but apart…..and safer…..)

Hoping your next session goes as planned…..

Warmly,

Whitelilies

CandiceRG
68 Posts

@Whitelilies thank you for the guidance :) all those make sense and are straight forward.

Lolie
5 Posts

It's common for chemo cycles to be delayed for one reason or another. We get sick, our bloods don't bounce back in time, our side effects aren't under control. Try not to worry about it too much.

CandiceRG
68 Posts

@Lolie your right. Can't change so I guess I will just try to make the best of it.

RBION
141 Posts

HI @CandiceRG - one of the precautions we took early into Covid was the purchase of a HEPA filter air purifier - these type of filters can exchange room air about 4 times an hour and will trap most anything in the air including the particulates we're concerned about. We did some research to buy the device suited to the size of our living room - it sits on the floor near the window about half way between my husband's chair (he's the one immunocompromised) and the couch. One thing that we have going for us is our house doesn't have central heating or A/C which means the air isn't being spread throughout the house via duct work and vents, making the Hepa filter/air purifier more effective.

Jamiwark
22 Posts

@CandiceRG I had the same problem with my hubby bringing home bugs . In 4 months of chemo I caught Covid but a light case which was over before my next treatment in every 14 days . The next was pneumonia which postponed my last treatment and I’m still recovering from the pneumonia . We must have slacked off on the cleaning procedures at home . Good luck to you .

Cupcakes
203 Posts

Hi @CandiceRG your subject line made me laugh. I’m glad you are still above ground! Ugh covid and chemo suck. Although I didn’t personally mind my chemo being delayed I do understand your question. Like @Lolie says it is super common for chemo to be delayed. The last chemo I was on I think almost every single round was delayed by a week to 3 weeks. From everything from low blood counts to getting covid to family emergencies to travel. Life just gets in the way. Well.. no one can argue with what @Whitelilies said 😜 that’s some sound advice !!! 😃😃

MNbOK
34 Posts

@CandiceRG Perhaps you could encourage your spouse to get every vaccination & booster available [I've had 3 and ½ so far], wash or sanitize his hands often, and wear a mask whenever he is outside, or maybe even when he is in the same room as you are. Invite him to change into something more comfortable when he gets home and wash everything he took off. Open all the windows to let the fresh air move through the house. Buy a really good fan + air filter for any room you spend a lot of time in together. Eat healthy foods, stay active, love and support each other (you are both going through this journey).

CandiceRG
68 Posts

@MNbOK we both have had 4 COVID vaccines and I have had the influenza one but I have to admit I didn't think of suggesting he get that in the fall too. We switched to a plant based diet 4 years ago so at least that is a win. I'll definitely look at a good room air filter for when we can no longer open up the windows. Lots of good advice. i truly appreciate the feedback 💓

MNbOK
34 Posts

@CandiceRG It sounds like you and your husband have already made a lot of thoughtful and supportive decisions about your health. You will do well together.

+ Reply