+ Reply
Wait times part 2
Sisu67
14 Posts

Hi there, I previously posted about my husband having to wait about 6 weeks from original diagnosis of Nodular Melanoma to having his WLE and Sentinal Node biopsy (he was told 1-2 weeks from surgeon). His lymph nodes have cancer in them (2 of 4). So, surgeon wants a CT scan. Again he was told 1-2 weeks but his appointment is scheduled for July 19 which is 5 weeks after he saw surgeon and two months after WLE. I thought the first delay was a fluke and surely they would move quicker this time. Not the case. I also heard once he was in the system things would move quicker. No again. This seems unacceptable to me given the nature of this cancer. He is on the phone advocating and our hope he gets an earlier scan and the cancer stays put. How long can he possible wait with his lymph nodes affected before it spreads? That's a rhetorical question but it seems like he's just a number and no one cares. Again, this is a big Toronto hospital with a big cancer centre. Can they not do better? Had they removed his mole within two weeks the first time I am sure it would not be in his lymph nodes now. We are scared and frustrated. More so with the lackadaisical approach and lack of empathy from system. Doctor seems wonderful but nurses, admin and staff not so much. Can ombudsman at hospital help at all? This doesn't make any sense……

7 Replies

@Sisu67

Ugh! The waiting game is the worst. I am sorry you and your husband find yourselves waiting again. I am sure you have either thought of this or have done it already but I always push to be put on a short notice/cancellation list. And don't hesitate to check in with the office on occasion to keep you front of mind. ( I am sure receptionists hate me saying that ) You can see if his husband's GP can do anything as well as check with social worker or patient navigator where he is being treated.

Having said that, the time lines are not so out of the ordinary, especially considering covid. I completely understand that is no consolation. Not sure why they even gave you that short timeline knowing it was likely unreasonable.

I hope he can be seen sooner than later for both your piece of minds .

Lianne

Sisu67
14 Posts

Update! He just received notice that his CT scan is now this Thursday! Thank goodness………he called the office yesterday and I guess it helped……:) thank you for listening!!

JustJan
1628 Posts

@Sisu67 I’m glad your husband’s CT scan was moved up. That is excellent news. Hopefully once those results are in his treatment plan can get started pretty quickly.

CandiceRG
47 Posts

@Sisu67 I'm really glad your husband was able to get in sooner. As a past Unit Clerk we could get quite annoyed with Dr's giving unrealistic expectations to patients. I was lucky to get timely tests and diagnosis, ironically I was wishing it would all slow down. I was not mentally ready to sit in the chair for my first chemo. But 4 treatments in i have accepted it. I'm attaching a picture you may like, if your username is on point :)

c7869c0056430f79e8898767a3cf5b68-huge-px
Sisu67
14 Posts

@CandiceRG thank you so much. Love the shirt. All the best to you……

@Sisu67 - great news! Will be thinking of you both Thursday.

Circle back and update us as you get more information, if you are comfortable doing so.

Lianne

law1
716 Posts

@Sisu67 ----you got this!! I am so glad you and your husband lit the fire under the cage so to speak.

Please keep us all posted as this site is such an extremely important support system.

+ Reply