+ Reply
Side effects
CountryGal
14 Posts
Hello,
I have just joined this site after completing my chemo therapy. I had my 4th treatment then ended up in the hospital with Colitis. My first week in the new year in the hospital. Happy New Year to me.
I am still taking antibiotics orally for about another week. The doctor and I agreed to halt chemo and cancel the last 2 sessions. I had been through enough diarrhea.
The healthy diet I have always had is not good for my poor abdomen right now. Salads and fresh fruits are too hard on my bowels.
Would like to know what others are eating.
8 Replies
Boby1511
1037 Posts

@CountryGal

Hi there,

I had some serious diarrhea with radiation. My doc prescribed home hydration. Really picked me up. Are you getting enough fluids? Or retaining enough? Perhaps ask your doc if hydration may help. They come to your home and hook you up. Brought a lot of relief for me.

Sending you best wishes.

Whitelilies
2267 Posts

@CountryGal Hello and welcome from MB! I am sorry, for your reason to join us here; but sure glad you have!!

I did not have chemo…..but I have had radiation/bowel surgery too….so I have experienced, my fair share (and then some)….of diarhhea…..

Agreed Salads and Fruit, are at times, too harsh, for a tender abdominal area/GI etc….pass on those…..increase water (as was mentioned earlier)….stick to the BRAT diet….Bread, rice, apple sauce, toast…..this will help thicken things up…lessen the loosey-goosey times….and hopefully, soon, diarrhea will be no longer….try melba toast too….crackers….perhaps try Immodium (over the counter)…..I discovered it comes in a mint liquid form (and pills/capsules too)….tastes great AND if you just want a BIT, the liquid is the best solution…..take a swig; pretend it is wine! (Dont gulp !)

Wishing you the best…..let us know, how you are doing…..

Welcome Again

Whitelilies

CountryGal
14 Posts

Hydration

was the hydration other than drinking water?

CountryGal
14 Posts

Diet

thanks for the BRAT diet

they confiscated the salad off my tray here in the hospital. I wondered what the salad dressing was for. I put it on my egg salad sandwich. It spruced it up a bit.

my diet has changed 360 from what it once was. All the carbs I once avoided are mainstay in my diet now. A learning experience for me

wendy

Cynthia Mac
3871 Posts
CountryGal‍ , I’m going to try and answer your hydration question, which I think was meant for Boby1511‍ :

When my Dad was in chemo, he had “home hydration.” Dad’s oncologist set him up with a homecare service when he started treatment, and they ordered saline drips in case they were needed after a treatment. Dad was a pretty stubborn guy, so he made sure he drank enough fluids so she didn’t have to use them.

Water isn’t the only thing that counts toward hydration: any clear beverage - tea, coffee (decaf preferred), vitamin and electrolyte waters, broth soups, stews, and milk are all ways of getting fluids into you, if you can have them. You could ask about fruit juices, too, particularly clear ones like apple and cherry and cranberry.

#hydration #dietarytip
Boby1511
1037 Posts
CountryGal
hi there,
dehydration isn’t always mind over matter. I was drinking a lot of watered down apple juice and eating soup. It wasn’t enough with my diarrhea and vomiting.
home hydration nurses come and hook you up with an iv and run a bag. You can still walk around as it’s in this tiny pack sack that you can carry around. They can also add for electrolytes. If ur struggling.
you don’t want to throw off the potassium as that iv burns and burns.
the iv drip is usually over 4 hours. U still continue to drink on top of it. U can get a couple times a day but I did ok with once a day. I usually did evenings.
hugs.
CountryGal
14 Posts

Side effects- tks Boby1511

CountryGal
14 Posts

Side effects- tks Cynthia Mac

+ Reply