+ Reply
Received the shock of my life
Scomo
9 Posts

I have been having back pain for the past six months. Finally did a mri in the US. I was just told there are multiple lesions on my spine and tumour. The doctor said we need to figure out where the cancer is coming from. I have a breast lump from which I did a mamo in April showing nothing suspicious. I don’t know how to process, feel shocked, almost numb, really scared. i can’t sleep. My mind is racing. 😥

8 Replies
Whitelilies
1901 Posts

@Scomo Hello and welcome from ON! Of course it is shocking to “hear those words”…..one would never “expect” pain, to become lesions…..Please know…..it is OK to feel numb…to feel scared…..to even feel angry……all emotions, are all over the map……

I too, was in complete shock, when I awoke, from my 1st colonoscopy…..the Dr hovered over me…..(I thought they all hover?) and said “those words” right to me - I was half out of it….and the shock then set in.

Perhaps…..once the primary cancer/location is confirmed, and a treatment plan is in place….then things, begin to “settle”….you breathe out….and keep carrying on.

Please meet @JustJan (also from ON)..Thank you so much, if you could share your experiences, here, to support our new member, also form ON….(Breast)/similar path……much appreciation….she received a very new diagnosis…….

Let us support you….

Welcome Scomo

Whitelilies

#Breastcancer

Whitelilies
1901 Posts

@Scomo Please have a look at the link below (Breast)…you can read, of others' experiences, similar to yours…and reach out/"tag" anyone, if you wish to (or ask a question etc); simply type “@”screen name (no space after @) and a few names will drop down; select name you wish; turns to blue ; this is OK; they will receive your message.

We are all here, to support you.

Whitelilies

Dave58
423 Posts

@Scomo Hi and welcome. I'm sorry You had to find us but glad you did because you'll never find a more caring and informative bunch of people than any where else but here.

We're a Family here and now You're a part of this Family. This is your safe place. You can rant, scream, chat or ask ANY question you feel you need answered. As a Family we won't just post and run away but will stay with you through out your cancer journey.

Now as to how you cope with this. You're actually doing a pretty good job because this will pull your emotions from every direction and everybody doesn't process this the same way. I was fine, had a little pain on my left side, nothing to even worry about. I had just a bit of shortness of breath if I ran up some steps. I just figured I was out of shape. Saw my Doc on July 29th and on August 4th was informed I had inoperable Stage 4 lung cancer.

I went through exactly the same emotions you did for about 2 weeks. I went to bed thinking “ I have cancer ” and woke up thinking “ I have cancer ”. It wasn't until I found this site that I was able to pull my life back together. My wife is a huge help too and I sincerely hope you have someone like that to help you.

I'll try and find some others to help you. Looks like they found you ! 😁

JustJan
1291 Posts

Thanks for the tag @Whitelilies. @Scomo Welcome to our community. There Is nothing quite like the shock of hearing you have cancer and I’m so sorry you had to hear those words. When I was first diagnosed I thought the anxiety would get me before cancer even had a chance. I definitely can appreciate what you are experiencing now.

I was diagnosed with triple negative breast cancer following my screening mammogram, at the age of 59. This happened in January 2019. I had a lumpectomy, I declined chemo, and I had 16 rounds of radiation. I had just started radiation when I found out I also had ovarian cancer. When I finished radiation, I had a total hysterectomy, followed by chemo and I am currently taking a maintenance drug which I will complete in about a weeks time. I also found out that I am BRCA1 positive and I will be undergoing a prophylactic bilateral mastectomy in early 2022 to help prevent recurrence.

I am happy to answer any questions you may have. Know that we are here to help support you wherever journey takes you. Sending you a virtual hug.

Scomo
9 Posts

Thank you @Whitelilies @Dave58, for sharing this info and welcoming me with open arms. While my mind and body are still processing, it’s comforting to know I’m not alone and know where to turn to. ❤

Scomo
9 Posts

Thank you @JustJan for sharing your story and for comforting me. ❤

Dave58
423 Posts

@Scomo Please feel free to post me anytime.

+ Reply