+ Reply
Transportation to hospital for surgery
Emgee
31 Posts

I’ve been trying to find how to register for Wheels of Hope which apparently provides vaccinated drivers to take cancer patients for treatments. I am scared to take a cab to hospital for my surgery and don’t have anyone who can drive me. I called the Canadian Cancer Society but no one has returned my call. Are there any other options anyone can suggest? Thank you.

7 Replies

Hi @Emgee

I'm sorry to hear you haven't heard back from us yet. Did you try our 1-888-939-3333 number?

I would be happy to assist you further with getting in touch, Please private message me if you would like some assistance.

Take Care,

Lacey

Emgee
31 Posts

Thank you, Lacey. After I posted this, I decided to try the chat feature on the Canadian Cancer Society website. I was delighted to get a response using the chat. I was told I would need a referral from the nurse or doctor at the cancer centre, and then could access the service. I was glad to find this out in advance of my consultation so that I can ask for the referral in time to have this in place before my surgery. Thank you for responding.

Boby1511
521 Posts

@Emgee

hi there. I’m glad you found access. I was lucky during radiation I had my mom drive me everyday. 30 sessions. The womans a saint. There were times I was very cranky and well she was there to take it out on. I feel bad. I was very tired and ill and tired of it all. Spent over a year in treatment with surgery and chemo then radiation. Mom and I made it thru.

sending you best wishes. hugs

Emgee
31 Posts

That’s what moms do. And you sure went through a lot. I am 💯 percent sure your mom understood your exhaustion, stress, and pain and that she could provide a safe space for you to release your feeling. I hope you’re feeling so much better now. Hugs right back for you 🤗

Emgee
31 Posts

Today Mark from Wheels of Hope called me. He explained after the referral is faxed to them from the cancer centre, it will likely only take a day, and someone will call me to set up my account. There is a $100 yearly fee which can be waived for financial hardship. Most importantly to me, all drivers must be double vaccinated, and cars are disinfected. They do need more volunteer drivers, so please encourage anyone you can to call or email to volunteer. This is such an essential service.

supersu
433 Posts

@Emgee

thanks for the update re: Wheels of Hope!
what a FANTASTIC service these folks provide.

I was lucky enough to live close to my cancer centre; I forced myself to walk most days and called that my exercise program. 15 minutes to and 15 minutes from-- I weirdly calculated that it must offset all my #pizzagintherapy!

but I will be honest, there were a couple days I just didn't have the energy and had to call an Uber. thank heavens I was able to do that….knowing that there is an affordable option for folks who cannot budget things like that, made my day!

I cannot wait to pass along the information to anyone/everyone I meet who is looking for meaningful volunteer opportunities.

cheers
su

#volunteerisanotherwordforLOVE #WheelsofHope

Emgee
31 Posts

It really is so essential especially during COVID-19. You made me smile talking about walking off the pizza! Thank you for letting people know they need more volunteers. 🍕 🚙 🚗

+ Reply