+ Reply
Starting chemotherapy
Jaspreet
6 Posts

Hi everyone, my name is Jaspreet. I am 31 years old and have recently been diagnosed with Invasive Ductal Carcinoma. I have undergone unilateral mastectomy Plus a procedure to remove further positive margins under the skin.
I will be going for my first round of chemo on Monday. I will also be cold capping throughout my procedure. If anyone has tried cold capping, I’d love to hear about your experiences. I am feeling anxious of the unknown and scared about the changes to come.

5 Replies
Dave58
88 Posts

@Jaspreet Hi and welcome to “ Our ” site, which of course is now your site too. I, unfortunately can't be of any help with your questions except to say You will receive very knowledgeable answers and TONS of support, On the support side we'll stick with you no matter what… bank on it. I wish you the very best !

@Jaspreet I'm sorry to hear about your diagnosis, but I'm glad that you have started your treatment plan. Each phase is a bit scary. It's the unknown. Unfortunately, you get familiar with it and it is less scary. I'm not sure what chemo you are having. I had ACT. I had AC together and then T. If you aren't having the same thing, the AC are the first two letters of each type of chemo. For the first four treatments, I had AC. I had T (Taxol) for the last four treatments. Even though all the drugs were chemo, there was an uncertainty about how I would react to the Taxol compared with my experiences with AC.

Like you, I had a unilateral mastectomy. I had both Ductal Carcinoma In Situ (DCIS) and Invasive Ductal Carcinoma (IDC). That was over 10 years ago, when cold caps were not even an option, so I can't really help you there. Click the cold caps tag at the bottom and you will find other posts that have been tagged with “coldcaps”.

The first couple of days are when you will likely feel the most nauseated, but you will likely be given some medication to help with that. One thing that no one told me was to keep hydrated. It will helps with the chemo because it helps to flush the toxins out of your body. The only bonus of getting dehydrated was that when I had chemo, my moles fell off. Unfortunately, they came back later. :-)

Please let me know how your first treatment goes. I'm hear for you.

#coldcaps #chemotherapy #invasiveductalcarcinoma

cancertakesflight

Jaspreet
6 Posts
cancertakesflight‍ thank you for your response to my message. I am having 4 rounds of DC ( Docetaxel Cyclophosphamide).
I have heard about keeping hydrated as being one of the keys to not feel so horrible. I would love to hear about what fluids you felt helped you keep hydrated besides water.
thank you again, I will continue sharing my journey
Mammabear
188 Posts

My friend had docotaxol with the ice gloves. Done to protect small arteries and veins from chemo due to the risks and reduce neuropathy. They watch for frost bite so if you have excessive hand pain from the cooling let those chemo nurses know.

4 cycles will be tough but you can cross them off. Grow a new mane of hair and move on. The first is the scariest because you don't know what to expect. The others will be easier.

Let us know how you are managing.

@Jaspreet In addition to water, which is not my drink of choice, I drank something like Gatorade. Actually, I drank a no name version. I drank it to help with my electrolytes; however, when choosing what to get, watch the sugar content. You can find stuff that has little to know sugar.

cancertakesflight

+ Reply