+ Reply
Triple negative stage 1 breast cancer
Runner2!
5 Posts
I have been newly diagnosed with a triple negative early stage breast cancer. The surgeon said she got it all. No lymph nodes were involved and the margins are clear. I was presented with chemo just in case microscopic cells escaped. I am struggling with the idea of chemo and it’s side effects given that is supposedly been taken out
3 Replies

@Runner2! I was told by a nurse once, surgery removes the plant and treatment removes any seeds that may have escaped.
I was diagnosed with triple positive IDC, no lymph nodes involved after a mastectomy. I didn't need radiation but I did have chemo which included Herceptin.

@Runner2! It's always a difficult decision, especially when it is so called “optional”. You're right. You have to weigh the pros and cons of chemo and its side effects and the likelihood that your cancer might return. I would think that your oncologist could help you with this. The other part of the equation is your emotional well-being. Will you be constantly be wondering if you should have had chemo or can you be comfortable with the decision knowing that it made the most sense from a medical perspective (if that's the case)? Some people will want to do everything possible for that peace of mind. Others, like you, are more concerned about the side effects. Neither decision is wrong.

Ultimately, it's your decision. If you feel comfortable, please let us know what you decided.

cancertakesflight

Runner Girl
1849 Posts

Hello @Runner2!

I see you are getting loads of information to help you with your decision about further treatment.

In 2018 I was diagnosed with IDC, ER+ and HER2+. My only option was lumpectomy or mastectomy. I was told I would be having chemo, radiation, herceptin and tamoxifen. My cancer, because of the HER2+, was considered aggressive. I believe triple negative is also considered aggressive. I did all the treatment and I continued to run and work full time thru all of it.

We will be here to support you, whatever decision you make.

Runner Girl

+ Reply