+ Reply
@JMH questions to ask
JMH
3 Posts
My biopsy on my breast came back as cancer. I am wondering what questions should be asking the surgeon and what information he should have for me when I see him tomorrow?
7 Replies
Runner Girl
1554 Posts
Hello JMH‍ ,

I am sorry your biopsy came back as cancer. I'll provide you a few resources below.

For questions to ask:
https://cdn.cancer.ca/-/media/files/cancer-information/resources/publications/questions-to-ask/32099-questions-to-ask-en.pdf?rev=26f3c4a6d167438ca6180bab12fb0e91&hash=39C84E258A87131132C7205055DF449F

Breast Cancer understanding your diagnosis:
https://cdn.cancer.ca/-/media/files/cancer-information/resources/publications/breast-cancer/32064-breast-cancer-uyd-en.pdf?rev=-1&hash=BE1C2CFEA34539E53F8C268A4E4B80C6

Breast Cancer understanding treatment:
https://cdn.cancer.ca/-/media/files/cancer-information/resources/publications/understanding-treatment-for-breast-cancer/32077-understanding-treatment-for-breast-cancer-en.pdf?rev=6675da84986c4a108fd40a39f46ea012&hash=73BE0A42C5D736C55186774CA5DCF615

I hope some of the above information is helpful.

I was diagnosed with breast cancer in May, 2018. I was IDC, ER+ and HER2+. I had chemo, radiation, herceptin, tamoxifen and am on an aromatase inhibitor now. Some of the things I would ask are:
1. what type of cancer is it
2. is it hormone based, i.e. estrogen positive/negative
3. is it HER2+ or negative
4. what treatment is being recommended, i.e. chemo, radiation, herceptin, tamoxifen
5. when will treatment begin

Please come back after your appointment and let us know what is recommended. We will be here to go thru this with you. Knowing what type, hormone status, etc. will help you connect here with people who have had a similar cancer.

Runner Girl
JMH‍ You might be able to find out if your Surgeon is recommending a lumpectomy or a mastectomy. If it's a mastectomy, you might find out what type of reconstruction he recommends, if you are wanting reconstruction.
supersu
143 Posts
JMH

I was where you are now, about 13 months ago. I'm glad you found this forum to ask such important questions. I was dx'd with breast cancer Feb 2020 and had my first surgery consult in March 2020

I recall the sort of numb feeling I had going into the very first surgeon appointment -- it all felt surreal to me. I hope you have somebody to go with you today -- they can take some notes or just be an extra set of ears...even tho my surgeon was very clear and patient with me, its a lot to take in, and my brain just couldn't process it all---overload

my surgeon was the kindest, most informational health care provider I had ever encountered in my entire lifetime. I hope for you that you get a great person also

Runner Girl‍ has given you so much great information I cant really add to that except to say, no question is dumb....ask everything that you need to

good luck today
this is a place of support, info, shared stories and a great relationships
come back as often as you feel comfortable with

cheers & hugs
su

#newdiagnosis #surgery
JMH
3 Posts
So I had my first appointment with the surgeon. Your right in that you are overwhelmed with questions. We got a copy of the pathology report so I was able to call the nurse the next day with questions. She was very informative and sweet. I have IDC HER2+. They now do chemo first and then surgery here as they feel it is better at preventing reaccurance. I opted for a mastectomy as I want to eliminate any potential in that breast. Will have oncology appt soon and also be starting Herceptin( not sure if spelling) which I will be on for a year.
Runner Girl
1554 Posts
JMH‍ ,

I'm so glad you were able to connect with the nurse to get answers to your questions after being overwhelmed when discussing with surgeon. I hope you feel some manner of relief now that you have a plan in hand.

Have they given you a date to start chemo?

Runner Girl
JMH
3 Posts

@Runner Girl no not yet, a tentative date for end of next week for consult.

supersu
143 Posts
JMH
good for you for following up next day with the nurse
so great to be able to ask questions when they are 'fresh', and then you aren't left hangin' and wondering what the heck they meant!!!!

things can, (not always), change as you progress, so good idea to have a binder or something to keep all the paperwork and notepad together...then its always there for you when you encounter someone who can answer questions

sounds like you have a solid plan in place
that is a big deal to decide, so now you move forward
yeah

I hope your chemo goes well
let us know how you are coping

cheers & hugs
have a great weekend
su

#chemotherapy #newdiagnosis
+ Reply