+ Reply
Introduce Yourself
77Bronco
4 Posts
Hello Everyone,
i have had friends in the past with cancer, i have friends with cancer now and i was diagnosed with Pancreatic Cancer in fall of 2017, I had surgery April 2018 the body, tail of pancreas was removed as well as spleen. I have PNET cancer at the time stage 3 well differentiated grade 2. Neuroendocrine Cancer. I was on watch and wait after that. In 2020 it had metastasized into my liver. And now with 20 tumours I have been doing TACE treatments at Victoria Hospital in London. With COVID it has been scary going to the different hospitals for treatments. I had a TACE treatment in November and my second was January 12 2021. And i was released in January the 13th on a Wednesday. I then had a call from London Health to advise me on the day of my surgery i came in close contact with a known positive and would have to quarantine for 14days. This was very scary as the TACE symptoms mimic the flu. Im 4 weeks out now and no COVID thankfully. I have my next TACE treatment on March 15th. And I'm very concerned. With no vaccine, the new variant out there and my latest experience i have to wonder when cancer patients that have on going treatments will get the vaccines? I’m on the PNET site as well and thank you Peter for steering me here. All the best to you all. Dave
5 Replies
ashcon
1819 Posts
77Bronco
Hi Dave,
Welcome to this site. It sounds like you've covered a lot of ground so far with your cancer experiences. The scariest part sounds like it was your close brush with covid. No wonder you are worried about your upcoming treatment in March. Like you, I'm in SWO (in Waterloo), and also wondering about the vaccine rollout plan for this area, though I'm not in active treatment right now.
Covid, cancer treatments, and vaccines are widely discussed here, as I'm sure you'll see. Sadly, and no surprise, no one on this site is a doctor, nor does anyone here have any inside knowledge or influence on the vaccine rollout plan. Wouldn't that be nice if it were otherwise!

Have you checked out Cancer and Covid19 Webinars ? They may contain information you already know, but may also contain some things you may not know.

Wishing that things go safely and successfully for you next month.
77Bronco
4 Posts
Not far from me at all. I go to Grand River Centre and Dr. Gregory Knight is my oncologist.
ashcon
1819 Posts
77Bronco
I received my treatments at GRRCC, but just have follow up appointments at this time.
A very good friend of mine was treated by Dr Knight for stage 4 pancreatic cancer. This was 5 years ago and, can you believe it, this friend is still alive and doing great. He just left for his 4 month sojourn down south on his boat!
All the best to you.
Cynthia Mac
2928 Posts
77Bronco‍ , you didn’t say, but could your “close contact” have been with a hospital staff person? If so, things could be different before your next appointment in that many health care workers will have been vaccinated by then, if they haven’t been already. It’s something you can ask about when it gets closer to your appointment time.

That would be at least one of the two necessary layers to protect you, the other being having you and other high-risk people vaccinated.
77Bronco
4 Posts
Hello Cynthia

I believe it was the porter that took me down at 6am the day of surgery. He had just came into work and had the sniffles. I think even if they have the shot they can still carry the virus. Ideal yes getting the shot would be best. I did ask my radiologist about the plan and he said he thinks cancer patients are in the B group after health care and old age homes. Hopefully that is true.

Dave
+ Reply