Newly diagnosed Esophageal cancer.

Re: Newly diagnosed Esophageal cancer.

Posted by Brighty on Jan 3, 2021 12:10 pm

Tjphee‍  glad you got out a bit and you are getting some shakes into you!    Drink lots of water too.    That should help.      Continue  to keep me updated.   I'm doing good thank you!  Watching hallmark movies  and snuggling  with my kitty Vinnie.   He snores!!!!  Glad you have a supportive boyfriend.   When is your next appointment  with the oncologist?      
Help is out there. All you have to do is reach out.

Posted by DawnD on Jan 3, 2021 12:47 pm

Hi
My husband was diagnosed with Stage 4 Esophageal cancer in June. The Oncologist gave him a short life span.
He is turning around now. The chemo is shrinking the liassons.
It is so hard when you originally been told about your cancer but stay positive. The months/years the Oncologist gives you is only numbers from past studies. 
He drinks Boost, Ensure and Resource 2 to keep the weight on. 
Your dietitian will recommend what is best for you. Please stay in touch with me and send me any questions. Stay strong..you got this.

Posted by Tjphee on Jan 3, 2021 3:49 pm

Thank you for your response. Today I actually got Boost into me!  Thank you for sharing about your husband. This is tough going for all concerned.  I guess patience and waiting for tests results is next on agenda. That and getting used to new normal.  I’m glad Christmas is over. 

Posted by Tjphee on Jan 3, 2021 3:54 pm

Hallmark movies are so good. Tho I find myself jealous of all there good times.  This is just dumb. We have started the Queens Gambit on Netflix. Our tv is bad as we live in the country. We are trying hard to provide distractions. 

thank you 

Posted by Brighty on Jan 3, 2021 4:10 pm

Tjphee‍ actually  it's not dumb at all.  I used to feel the exact same way when my fiance  was going through  his cancer.    But it was also one of my  districtions.   Distractions are very important.      Hobbies...walks... anything .    Feel free to keep  posting.   

Posted by iamcatherine on Jan 4, 2021 8:58 am

Hello there,

Just wanted to reach out as I was recently diagnosed with stage 4 lung cancer just before the holidays. I am still waiting to meet with an oncologist for treatment so I can relate to your situation.  I told my closest people right away, as I knew it would be a shock for them also, I am 42 year old and never touched a cigarette in my life! I have to admit the first conversation was akward with some people, people don't know what to do or say, and I told them it's OK - I would not know what to say either if I was in their place. Once that first conversation happened, conversations went back to normal-ish and that is good. I have to say the level of love and support I am receiving from friends, family, colleagues is so powerful and overwhelming, I have never felt so loved - a blessing. I try keeping busy while waiting for treatment by talking walks (a savior), chatting with friends, making lists of things to do/organize when I feel like it. 

Gotta find joy and victories in little things!

Posted by Lacey_Moderator on Jan 4, 2021 9:36 am

iamcatherine‍ 

Welcome to our community! Thanks for sharing your experience so far. I'm glad to hear that your conversations have gone back to normal somewhat. 

This is a great place to connect with people who get it. Have you found our Lung cancer forum yet? Here is a link: Category Topics - CancerConnection.ca. I'd also like to introduce you to WestCoastSailor‍ and Kuching‍.

If you have any questions please let us know,
Lacey

Posted by justfiona on Jan 4, 2021 10:50 pm

Tjphee:
Thank you yes I have some Boost I am afraid to use it as last night scared me. All night long bringing up Phlegm.  I was only diagnosed last week so everything is new. Bin going to try the Boost for sure  

thank you 

I'm so sorry about your diagnosis. My 84 year old dad had esophageal cancer and brought up phlegm all the time too. He found it helpful to drink lots of water as it thins the mucous and then it's easier to get rid of. Even over the counter mucous relief was helpful (guafinesin). Also sleep with your head elevated and then the phlegm stays down longer (put pillows in between your mattresses at the head of the bed). Boost is a great idea and you can get the kind with extra protein or extra calories too, if eating is an issue. I helped my dad with symptoms for a year and we tried a lot of things. I hope this helps.

Posted by Tjphee on Jan 5, 2021 10:30 am

Thank you good idea about water tho I have to put some fruit juice with it. I’ve gone back to elevating pillows. Thank you for you ideas and I’m sorry about your Dad.  It is never easy is it? 

Posted by justfiona on Jan 5, 2021 6:40 pm

Tjphee:
Thank you good idea about water tho I have to put some fruit juice with it. I’ve gone back to elevating pillows. Thank you for you ideas and I’m sorry about your Dad.  It is never easy is it? 

Thanks Tiphee - no, it's never easy. I know there were some things that caused more phlegm for my dad. I don't think it's regular phlegm - I believe it's generated in the abdomen by acid, so there were some foods to avoid, for example, anything that would normally cause acid reflux. My dad's reflux medication was increased when he was diagnosed. He had an esophageal stent put in twice, but was too frail to handle the second surgery, largely due to his age. The first stent gave him great relief though, allowing him to swallow normally. Hopefully I can help you with more ideas. :) 

Posted by Tjphee on Jan 5, 2021 7:15 pm

Thank you to all for support. I finally called my family physician and explained we had no word. I hadn’t eaten in days and no one was talking. He had got the results of my CT & thought the surgeon would be calling. The cancer is at bottom of my esophagus there are some spots on my liver as well. He will request a consultation  with the endoscopy doctor and he sent a request to local cancer clinic and they should call soon. More to take in! I’m still numb.  

Posted by Brighty on Jan 5, 2021 11:09 pm

Thank you for updating us.  Tjphee‍ .  A lot to take in.   The spots on the liver could be anything.    They may send you for further  tests to determine what they are.    How are you managing with getting Boost and Ensure down?  Are you getting enough calories?  There's also 'Resource' and 'Two Cal'which are also shakes and they have more calories than Boost and Ensure.      Are you drinking water?   Please  keep us posted  the more you find  out.   Keep on top of those doctors until you are satisfied  with your treatment  plan and care.    We are behind you.   

Posted by Cynthia Mac on Jan 6, 2021 5:25 am

iamcatherine‍ , I see you’ve also checked in over in the lung cancer discussion. I’ll catch up with you over there.
“When the root is deep, there is no reason to fear the wind.” - Japanese saying

Posted by Cynthia Mac on Jan 6, 2021 5:58 am

Tjphee‍ , I’m glad you reached out to your GP. Even if the news has set you back a little more, you’ve finally got some word, and now he can have a “doctor to doctor” chat with the one who hasn’t called you back.

Regarding the water, have you tried other options to flavour your water? I find alternatives like Gatorade and vitawater to be too sweet, and Crystal Lite leaves a powdery residue in the bottom of my glass sometimes (and is sweetened with Aspartame, if I recall correctly). Currently I’m using Mio (sweetened with Sucralose), when my water “gets boring.”

Another thing I do is buy jars of pure cranberry or cherry juice at the grocery store and mix them with plain club soda. I mix them to the same ratio I would if I was putting alcohol with the soda, kind of a “mocktail,” if you will.
“When the root is deep, there is no reason to fear the wind.” - Japanese saying

Posted by law on Jan 6, 2021 2:22 pm

Welcome, Tjphee‍ to this sanity-saving, info-giving, a light-in -the -dark site full of warm and understanding warriors! Such a good place for you and your boyfriend to begin to find solace and hopefully lessen your 'unknowns'.
Although I beat tongue cancer and an inflamed esophagus after radiation, I can send you my support for your esophageal journey,  especially during this wacky COVID mess. It is a true vortex at times I am sure, yet people such as Brighty‍ have first hand experience as a caregiver to someone who traveled the journey you are on.
Phlegm? It's a tricky one.... hard to clear the throat, hard to swallow solids when the phlegm seems to clog the tubes.....I lost salivary glands, and now I am getting too much phlegm, which causes me to cough and then feel like my throat is shredding.....my cat gets quite concerned with my hacking so I give her way too many treats as a reward for her tolerance.
You are on the brave track and I sure do hope to read more about your state of mind and body as 2021 progresses !!
Drinking supplements such as Ensure or Boost, seems wise..... adding flavouring to water may make it easier for you to tolerate, too.
law