Newly diagnosed Esophageal cancer.

Newly diagnosed Esophageal cancer.

Posted by Tjphee on Dec 26, 2020 8:26 pm

Good evening. On December 24th my birthday, I received confirmation of an endoscopy results.  I go next week for CT scan. In what I’ve been reading there is not a good outcome. It was difficult pulling off Christmas. I wanted everyone to have a great day and said nothing. I feel so overwhelmed. 

Re: Newly diagnosed Esophageal cancer.

Posted by Brighty on Dec 26, 2020 8:43 pm

I'm so sorry Tjphee‍ !!!!!my fiance had esophageal  cancer  so please  feel free to be in contact  with me .    Do you have a treatment  plan? 
Help is out there. All you have to do is reach out.

Posted by Whitelilies on Dec 26, 2020 9:40 pm

Tjphee‍ Hello and welcome to our caring site.......Happy Birthday......
I am sorry for your findings......and yes more tests are on the way......I understand.
Brighty‍ She is a wonderful connection and will support you.
Here is another link:
https://cancerconnection.ca/discussions/viewcategory/65

The holidays are a difficult time when you **just** got a diagnosis.....feeling overwhelmed is "normal"....
Take things one baby step at a time....
A wise lady taught me.....to Immerse Yourself In Nature.....there are healing powers of simply being outdoors.....the sky, the colours, the air.......it will do you good.
Get on out !

Keep sharing....we are here for you.
Regards
Whitelilies

Posted by Tjphee on Dec 26, 2020 11:51 pm

Thank you for the welcome. So much going through my mind. I’m sure after the CT scan I will have a better idea. I’ve never been sick in my life. All of this is so new. I’m trying to stay positive but the struggle is real. I will keep in touch as I know I will need support and friendly ears. Thank you 

Posted by Essjay on Dec 27, 2020 3:05 pm

Tjphee‍ welcome to the community xx

Im sorry you had such a secret to keep over Christmas. Have you been able to share with your family now, so they can support you?

best wishes, Essjay
Triple Negative Breast Cancer survivor since July 2018

Posted by Brighty on Dec 27, 2020 6:22 pm

Tjphee‍ checking in..how are you feeling today?  

Posted by Tjphee on Dec 27, 2020 7:27 pm

I’m still trying to get my bearings. I am going through all kinds of emotions. Later this week I go for a CT scan to see what stage. I thank you for you support and keeping in touch. As it is Christmas Season I’m trying to hold it together 

Posted by Tjphee on Dec 27, 2020 8:45 pm

Essjay:

Im sorry you had such a secret to keep over Christmas. Have you been able to share with your family now, so they can support you?

best wishes, Essjay

Posted by Tjphee on Dec 27, 2020 8:47 pm

Essjay:

best wishes, Essjay

Posted by Tjphee on Dec 27, 2020 8:53 pm

Thank you for responding. I go for a CT scan this week and they will no more. I would like to give my sons and other friends more concrete info. My strong boyfriend today broke down he is also scared.  I rallied which is what a lot of us do and comforted him.  I actually felt better after. My sons live in BC and because of Covid not sure when I can travel. Somehow I feel I need to tell them in person.  I also have scheduled surgery on Jan 19 for a hysterectomy not sure if that is still a go.  I thank you for support as mentioned this is overwhelming. 

Posted by Boby1511 on Dec 27, 2020 9:17 pm

Tjphee‍ 
My heart goes out to you on such a difficult confirmation. 
Hope you find some comfort from this site and lessen the burden.

Posted by Tjphee on Dec 30, 2020 12:57 am

Thank you. Your kind words mean a lot. CT scan tomorrow then not sure what happens. I haven’t heard from a doctor yet seems odd.  I don’t know how to act or react. 

Posted by Tjphee on Jan 2, 2021 9:37 am

Last Friday went for CT scan now awaiting results. My endoscopy dr called said I cannot have my hysterectomy as I need 4 weeks before Chemo without anesthesia. I’ve waited so long for the operation.  Now it’s cancelled. He has only met me for the endoscopy and after I told him the way I found out about my cancer I felt was wrong. He then proceeded to advise me he is rushing everything for me and actually came into work on his holidays to get things started. I guess I should feel lucky? But I thought 💭 I may never have holidays. He said I may have only 3 to 6 months to live.   He also told me he wouldn’t sugar coat anything! I guess maybe a little empathy would help.  I wish everyone a good New Year and blessings to all 

Posted by Brighty on Jan 2, 2021 10:34 am

Tjphee‍  his bedside manner is horrific. How can he say you have 3 to 6 months to live when you haven't even received  the results yet? What is this based on?  

Posted by Essjay on Jan 2, 2021 1:36 pm

Tjphee‍ Im sorry you have such an insensitive doctor. He seems to be making assumptions before the scan results are in.

Hopefully they will be available very soon and a more reasonable plan can be developed that includes your hysterectomy.

How are you feeling today?
Triple Negative Breast Cancer survivor since July 2018

Posted by Tjphee on Jan 2, 2021 2:05 pm

Thank you for reaching out.  Today sucks!  I have been bringing up phlegm all day I want to eat nothing goes down! My boyfriend broke down crying cause he can’t make it better!! I am going out for a walk to stop the gloom!  I don’t know why the Doctor is being the way he is. I’ve met him once when I had my endoscopy.  I’ve never been sick a day in my life.  I so don’t want this to define 
me.  I thank all for their kind support 

Posted by Brighty on Jan 2, 2021 3:23 pm

Tjphee‍  my fiance had the same... bringing up phlegm.    Can you have Ensure and Boost at least? The oncology dietician will be able to suggest  things to eat for you thst you can get down and still keep getting enough calories.      I'm so sorry you are going through this.   Is there another  oncologist  in the same cancer center you can be transferred  to ? Someone with a better attitude  you feel more comfortable with?    You have every right to feel comfortable  and happy with your health care team.      

Posted by Tjphee on Jan 2, 2021 4:03 pm

Thank you yes I have some Boost I am afraid to use it as last night scared me. All night long bringing up Phlegm.  I was only diagnosed last week so everything is new. Bin going to try the Boost for sure  

thank you 

Posted by Tjphee on Jan 2, 2021 4:07 pm

Good day 

I agree lots of assumptions. I’ve never been sick a day. I honestly thought drs were kind. Because of Covid everything is on phone. I will demand going forward he only speak to me when someone is with me.  Thank you for listening 

Posted by Brighty on Jan 2, 2021 5:21 pm

Tjphee‍  please let me know how it's going with the food intake and if you were able to get in touch with a dietician at the cancer center.    He or she will come up with a plan for you. I don't want to overwhelm you too much because  I know  this is still new.  Know that  I'm here if you have any more questions  or need anything.     Let us know  when you get more information. 

Posted by Tjphee on Jan 2, 2021 6:25 pm

I was thinking because if weekend I would tough it out. I got the boost down so that helps. I’m not sure if I have to be referred to dietitian or not.  I saw the Queensway Carleton has a clinic so I may give them a call.  I am so new to this I just don’t know what if where to turn. The doctor said he would call with CT results as soon as they get them. The doctor gave me little hope but I’m nit done or even begun to fight.  I still have to tell friends and family.  Way too much to deal with

thank for listening 

Posted by JustJan on Jan 3, 2021 9:14 am

Tjphee‍ I am so sorry you find yourself here and I hope that you will find some great support here to help you. 

I hope you get the results of your CT scan soon and that a plan can be put in place for your care.

I hear you on wanting more information before discussing with family and friends. I felt exactly the same way. Part of it I think, is also coming to grips with the diagnosis yourself. It’s hard to deal with other’s emotions and upset when you are still
swirling.  I am glad you have a supportive boyfriend which is so important as you try to navigate this. Most cancer centres and hospitals have counselling available for patients and their significant others. I would encourage you to take advantage of it. They are used to dealing with cancer and all that comes with it. 

Please continue to reach out here for support. I will be thinking about you as you wait for your results.
Strength doesn't come from what you can do, it comes from overcoming the things you once thought you couldn't. - Rikki Rogers

Posted by SVG on Jan 3, 2021 11:09 am

Tjphee‍ 
I understand your fears my partner went through the same situation waiting for CT during covid shut down. She lives in LTC for other health reasons and was not allowed to see me unless I was taking her to appointments. We were scared as to what treatments she would get if any while living in LTC. She too was new diagnosed with esophageal cancer. Very scary stuff she is in a very positive situation now. We were dealing with the Hamilton Ontario EDAP clinic. They are absolutely the best as far as I am concerned because of course they took care of my Kate. The folks who care for cancer patients are the best in every part of this country. Please feel free to ask questions if you want. I/We experienced only the positive results and this site offered a lot of very helpful information at various crisis times. You are in a tough spot waiting for details and what your treatment will be is hard.  I agree with others surround yourself with every positive nurturing activity that you like. It helps. Take care

Posted by Brighty on Jan 3, 2021 11:48 am

Tjphee‍  just wondering how you are doing today? Thinking of you.   

Posted by Tjphee on Jan 3, 2021 12:04 pm

Thank you for asking.  I got some Boost into me last night. I was supposed to work but called in sick. Then the boyfriend and I went out shopping. I just felt down today.  I’ve never asked how you were doing please let me know if you would like.  I also bought some popsicles. Awfully phlegmatic today.  I felt it would be good to go out and it was. Funny I’m not eating but feel very full. Thank you again for reaching out