Pancreatic cancer

Pancreatic cancer

Posted by Chanpol on Nov 16, 2020 9:22 pm

Recently diagnosed with pancreas cancer . Done 9 treatments of chimo and need surgery ( whipple procedure ). Can anyone share past experience with this surgery ?

Re: Pancreatic cancer

Posted by Brighty on Nov 16, 2020 9:33 pm

Welcome Chanpol‍ !     Thank you for introducing yourself.  I'd like you to meet Laika57‍  whose husband had this procedure.     Under "forums" and "cancer types" we have discussions on Pancreatic Cancer where you can connect with others who have gone through the same type of cancer as you.       How are you coping?    Do you have support? 
Help is out there. All you have to do is reach out.

Posted by Laika57 on Nov 17, 2020 10:26 am

Hi Chanpol‍ , 
sorry you are finding yourself here.
there are some great support groups for whipple procedure patients and caregivers on facebook.
i can't really give too much advice here myself.
My husband has ben home a whopping two days since his surgery, and is now in palliative care... (the chemo caused heart and liver issues, exacerbated with recurring infections, in addition to sudden onset dementia).

You probably know the stats and my husband will be one of those that bumps someone else's chances up a bit...

not sure where you're located, but "they" say your chances improve hugely with a surgeon & hospital that handle this procedure often. Ask for an epidural for pain control during the first couple of days. It helps you be more alert and mobile, which speeds up recovery.
And pay attention to what you're eating, when, and what your reaction to the food is afterwards. You'll likely need pancreatic enzymes and insulin, if you don't already. Though the amounts may change. Hubby needed far less insulin post surgery - though that may also be caused by the more sensible hospital diet.

as you know, it is a very involved surgery, so, not wanting to be a doomsayer, but get your things organized, POA, DNR, a will, a list of recurring bills, passwords, etc... even if you "just" end up out of commission for a few months with something as "benign" as delirium, you want someone to be able to take care of things so they will still be there when you recover. 

best of luck!

Have you hugged your dog today?

Posted by Chanpol on Nov 17, 2020 9:18 pm

Brighty:
Welcome Chanpol‍ !     Thank you for introducing yourself.  I'd like you to meet Laika57‍  whose husband had this procedure.     Under "forums" and "cancer types" we have discussions on Pancreatic Cancer where you can connect with others who have gone through the same type of cancer as you.       How are you coping?    Do you have support? 

Hi Brighty , thanks for reaching out and thanks for the information. I' m doing pretty good i guess. It was quite the pill to swallow when i first got diagnosed but since then i've accepted the fact and life goes on ! Hoping for the best and getting ready for the worst. The chemo was not to hard on me as i hardly had any severe side effects; so that was a good thing . I have consultations with oncologists and surgeon next monday ;hoping for good news . When i saw them the first time the plan was :chemo , surgery and then more chemo . My wife and four grown up kids are very supportive and are taking very good care of me . I also have friends and relatives that keep close contact . 
 Thanks again .

Posted by Chanpol on Nov 17, 2020 9:37 pm

Laika57:
Hi Chanpol‍ , 
sorry you are finding yourself here.
there are some great support groups for whipple procedure patients and caregivers on facebook.
i can't really give too much advice here myself.
My husband has ben home a whopping two days since his surgery, and is now in palliative care... (the chemo caused heart and liver issues, exacerbated with recurring infections, in addition to sudden onset dementia).

You probably know the stats and my husband will be one of those that bumps someone else's chances up a bit...

not sure where you're located, but "they" say your chances improve hugely with a surgeon & hospital that handle this procedure often. Ask for an epidural for pain control during the first couple of days. It helps you be more alert and mobile, which speeds up recovery.
And pay attention to what you're eating, when, and what your reaction to the food is afterwards. You'll likely need pancreatic enzymes and insulin, if you don't already. Though the amounts may change. Hubby needed far less insulin post surgery - though that may also be caused by the more sensible hospital diet.

as you know, it is a very involved surgery, so, not wanting to be a doomsayer, but get your things organized, POA, DNR, a will, a list of recurring bills, passwords, etc... even if you "just" end up out of commission for a few months with something as "benign" as delirium, you want someone to be able to take care of things so they will still be there when you recover. 

best of luck!

Hi Laika57, 
  Im sorry to hear your hubby is not doing well , im keeping you in my toughts and prayers ! 
 Thank you very much for all the information , it is all very helpful.
 It makes me happy to see that you love dogs !