Hello from Quispamsis, NB

Hello from Quispamsis, NB

Posted by Maureen1 on Nov 4, 2020 6:17 pm

Hi all,

I'm 57 and was diagnosed with Invasive Ductal Carcinoma in September.  I had a lumpectomy in October and they took 4 sentinel nodes.  2 were clear but 2 contained isolated tumor cells.  I will be starting radiation in the next few weeks and as I searched information, I will also start Letrozole soon.

I spoke with someone from the Cancer Society and she put me on to this forum.

I lost my husband last year to Heart Failure and so I live alone, well, I have my pup with me at all times.  Living alone is not an issue until you start to google and look up things... then it can get overwhelming. 

I don't really know how this site works, so will end here.  My fears are the side effects of radiation and the hot flashes and or night sweats the medication will likely cause me.. (I have them now).  I was taking estrogen and progesterone to prevent them.  

I'm off work right now as I deal with this issue but am thinking I should try working part time.  Not sure how long that will last as I hear radiation will make me quite tired.

I am eager to connect with others who may have felt some of these things.

Thanks for listening, or reading :) 

Re: Hello from Quispamsis, NB

Posted by Wendy Tea on Nov 4, 2020 6:58 pm

Maureen1‍  Welcome! Yes it is hard to go through cancer on your own but I bet you get great puppy cuddles! I take tamoxifen as Letrozole did not agree with me.  My doctors suggest taking it at bedtime so that does help. You will meet some lovely friends here and you will hear from those who have had radiation.  I did not. 
I am so glad you met Brighty‍ .  Please reach out at any time and let me know how treatment goes please.

Posted by Essjay on Nov 4, 2020 7:04 pm

Hello Maureen1‍ - greetings from Manitoba!

I’m glad you found us, we can’t replace your husband but we can relate to your cancer journey and what you are going through. I had a lumpectomy in October 2018 for IDC.

I encourage you to take a look at the breast forum where many of the questions and issues related to breast cancer can be found, and I see you have posted a question about radiation under treatments and side effects

If you see a post of interest you can tag the author by typing the ‘@‘ symbol and the first 3 letters of their name. Options will pop up below and you select the name you want and it will turn blue and they will get an email to flag they have been tagged.

How are you doing in your surgery recovery? Anything you would like to ask?

Hoping today is a good day for you. best wishes Essjay
Triple Negative Breast Cancer survivor since July 2018

Posted by Maureen1 on Nov 4, 2020 7:09 pm

My surgery was fine for the first week. Then I became very sore for a few days but thankfully that has dissipated.  

I have good arm movement as well, so am feeling fortunate   😃 

Posted by cancertakesflight on Nov 4, 2020 11:47 pm

Welcome Maureen1‍ I am glad that you joined the site. Please know that you have a very welcoming group here and that you can say as much or as little as you want. As you post, you will quickly find out how many people understand what you are going through. You will also find a great variety of information. You may also notice that while there are a lot of similarities there are differences as well. For example, please keep in mind that not everyone reacts the same way to treatments.

I was diagnosed with Ductal Carcinoma in Situ (DCIS) and IDC in 2011. I had surgery, chemo and radiation. I refer to this as the party-pack of treatments. As for the hormone blockers, I took Tamoxifen. Even at the ripe old age of 50, I wasn't in menopause. I have read posts from people who have taken Letrozole, so they can share their experiences if you are interested; however, again, keep in mind that everyone is unique.  

Other than the time I took off work for surgery, I continued to work during my treatments. For me, I wanted to keep busy with work rather than having time to think about my cancer and treatments. This worked for me but doesn't necessarily work for everyone. I only mention this because it gives you an indication of how I felt during treatments. That's not to say that I felt awesome the whole time, but things were manageable for me. 

As for radiation, I was lucky enough not to suffer the fatigue that you mentioned in your post. I used to go to work right after my treatments. Fingers crossed, maybe you'll be one of the lucky ones. 

As Essjay‍ has mentioned, there is a wealth of information available to you on this site.  You also have the option of typing topics in the "Search the community" field in the top right corner, you can search for specific words, which may also help you find the information you need. 

It's great to meet you. Please ask us any questions you have. We are here for you. With this site you are never truly alone.  

You might also be interested in joining some of the groups on this site. There is even one for pet lovers. Select Groups at the top of the page and see if there are any groups that interest you. 

I would love to hear more about you if you are interested in sharing. Again, welcome.

cancertakesflight

Laughter is a lifestyle choice. www.laughterandcancer.com/blog

Posted by Maureen1 on Nov 5, 2020 6:01 am

Thank you.  I can already tell this forum will be very good for me.  

Posted by Whitelilies on Nov 5, 2020 7:06 pm

Maureen1‍ Hello Maureen and welcome to our caring site.......I am glad you felt comfortable to share your journey, with us......we truly understand.....
I have a different "journey/colorectal"....but I did have Radiation too......yes it made me tired....I tried to book my radiation in the morning, so that in the afternoons I could rest/nap when needed and be FRESH as a daisy, when my boys came home from school (none the wiser).
I was 56 on that fateful day of discovery....
same age/almost, as yourself......we are young at heart.
Keep sharing, we are listening.

Sending positive vibes your way....

Whitelilies

Lillian

Posted by Gigsy on Nov 8, 2020 6:34 pm

Hi Maureen 1. I just finished radiation 10 days ago and chemo in Aug. Yes it does make you tired but I think for me is was the added chemo that's still in my system that is also contributing to tiredness. Although I must say it's not as bad as chemo for tiredness. I'm starting to get a little red at the breast and hoping it doesnt get too bad. Dont get the night sweats anymore. Take care