Eastern Canada Connections

Re: Eastern Canada Connections

Posted by Dauntless on Nov 3, 2020 10:16 am

Yes, the band The Fables were great, their song Old StJohns is stilled played a lot in the Irish Bars here.
Darcy Broderick has opened three Irish pubs in StJohns and surrounding area.
Hello to PEI, another beautiful Island, been there many times.
So nice to be having my coffee and able to converse with others fighting this illness, feels less alone.
I find my friends do not want to talk specifics, treatments, side effects, ....they aren't comfortable, They all care, but placating not really what I need, though I do value their friendship, and it takes me out of my head space for awhile. My sons having a difficult time even though they are 46 and 38, as their mother is on chemo and my ex, their dad started hemodialysis last week. My mom used to say, '''It never rains but it pours"".
Hoping my nausea will finally settle this week, and I can eat a little more and get out for awhile.
Does anyone have chronic fatigue, and how do you handle and deal with that. It can be debilitating as well.
Good to hear from all that posted. It's how I start my day, coffee, computer, until I get myself showered and try and move around a do something.
Take care all,
Dianne (Dauntless)

Posted by Belinda on Nov 3, 2020 10:37 am

Good morning  Dauntless‍ :  a great way to start the day, coffee and processing what is In your head and heart as treatment continues.  Chronic fatigue is a side effect.  My best advice would be to listen to your body.  When you are tired - rest.  Some says I did t move too far from my lazy boy chair.  Friends and family do love and care.  I think there is a difference between sympathy and empathy.  Our family may have sympathy for what we are going through; but may not be able to empathize- they can’t understand truly the effects of treatment, mentally, physically, and emotionally.  Having this support group keeps you connected to all you can empathize what you are dealing with.

I will pray for gentle treatments and gentle side effects.  

Posted by Cynthia Mac on Nov 5, 2020 8:23 am

Dauntless‍ , as a daughter who gave care to her father over the course of his cancer journey, I can appreciate what your sons are going through. To have both parents sick at the same time is a double-whammy. My mom died suddenly in 2017, and Dad was diagnosed with cancer just months after.

”We kids” each handle things in different ways, and males tend to be a little more withdrawn/ less vocal. My hunch is that they’re concerned, if not scared, confused, and possibly in a little denial. Me, I was the pragmatist - I just dug in, researched as best I could, set up organization systems for his meds, a calendar for his appointments, and a book to record contacts, meds, symptoms, etc., and tried to keep Dad’s spirits bolstered. I don’t know your sons the way you do, so you’ve got a better idea of how to coax their thoughts out of them.

I, too, tend to start my day with coffee and visits here and to FB. We probably just do it an hour-and-a-half apart! I wish you a wonderful day.
“When the root is deep, there is no reason to fear the wind.” - Japanese saying

Posted by Trillium on Nov 10, 2020 11:02 am

Maureen1‍  -  Just in case you did not see this thread. There are many people from the East Coast here.

Wishing you the best
Judy

Posted by Maureen1 on Nov 10, 2020 6:42 pm

Hi from Quispamsis New Brunswick!

Posted by Natty on Nov 11, 2020 8:44 am

Hello, I’m from Montague , Prince Edward Island.

Posted by Dauntless on Nov 11, 2020 9:16 am

Good morning all you Eastern Canadians.
Saw the temps soar  in most of Eastern Canada but, was still pleased with our 14 degrees in StJohns NL'
I got out and "down to the River" yesterday again. The beautiful Waterford River. I walk or saunter 10 mins, sit and try to meditate for 10 mins, and then walk back 10 mins. Hoping to be able to do that as many days as possible, but, with chemo again on 20th, may be terribly sick again, so going now while I can. I find the soothing running water calms me.
I tried some of my old yoga moves yesterday, think I went too far and today in pain in back and buttocks. 
Going to enjoy the days from now till the 20th and go as much as possible as I am still having low 02 levels, and get quite dizzy at times and very SOB.
All my household chores have piled up, so going to tackle those as well.
My precious grandson and my family coming Fri night, ordering pizza.
Lunch with friends tomorrow, and dinner for a friends BD Sat night. Keep on plugging I guess when we can, and not feel bad when we just have to lie or sit till the chemo effects wear off.
Such is the life, but, I'm still able to enjoy bout 50% of my life, and feel like crap the other 50%, so I think thats a good percentage. I'll take it ,with Stage 4 lung cancer.
Hope everyone having a good day this Nov 11th, and remembering all who sacrificed for the freedoms we have in the greatest Country on earth.
Dianne

Posted by Lacey_Moderator on Nov 11, 2020 9:19 am

Welcome Maureen1‍ and Natty‍!  How are you finding the community so far?

Dauntless‍ - So good to hear you are embracing the good days between treatments. Sounds like a lovely morning 😊. Sounds like you will be in great company the rest of the week.

Posted by Maureen1 on Nov 11, 2020 10:29 am

Hi!

I'm finding this site very helpful.  I'm a bit slow on getting around the various forums, but I'm doing okay.  This site is user friendly, its the user, hahaha.

I will say that I no longer feel alone.  I'm sorry others are here, but I appreciate all of the discussions, etc.

Posted by NPS on Nov 12, 2020 8:20 am

Hello from Riverview NB, nice to see good representation from the East Side. 

Posted by Whitelilies on Nov 12, 2020 4:54 pm

Maureen1‍ Hello Maureen, and welcome to our caring site....we are here...we are listening....we are supporting.....we get it! (we got it too)
I love the photo of your dog....looks like he found a place to "dip" his mouth??
Welcome.....keep sharing......
I am on a different journey/same journey really.....colon cancer.....downtown train....

Welcome again....

Warmly,

Whitelilies

Lillian