Eastern Canada Connections

Eastern Canada Connections

Posted by Lacey_Moderator on Oct 27, 2020 12:35 pm

Are you from the east coast??? Take a second to introduce yourself below!

Re: Eastern Canada Connections

Posted by Cynthia Mac on Oct 30, 2020 7:38 am

Now, come on y’all. To quote one of my favourite maritimers, Cape Breton fiddler Natalie McMaster, “Don’t be shy, it’s just ourselves tonight.”
“When the root is deep, there is no reason to fear the wind.” - Japanese saying

Posted by Trillium on Oct 30, 2020 7:58 pm

I saw a post from a person asking if there was anyone from St Johns NL but I could not find it to reply. Most of my relatives are from Newfoundland.

Posted by A291ER on Oct 31, 2020 7:47 am

A291er here from Nova Scotia. Cold fall day here today. On weekend break from radiation therapy on lung....Have a nice Haloween everyone.

Posted by Kuching on Oct 31, 2020 8:39 am

Trillium‍ , I believe Dauntless‍ Is from St. John’s, not sure if that who you are thinking of?  

I spent a month in Twillingate, but that was a very long time ago!

Posted by Dauntless on Oct 31, 2020 9:23 am

Yes, I live in StJohns Nl, but a fishermans daughter and grew up in a small town.
Been looking for support groups in StJohns, but, haven't found any, even through the Cancer Clinic.
Does anyone have any experience with Carboplatin/Alimta chemo. My TKI stopped working, and now on chemo. Lordy, what a whomp, nausea, headache, rash, overall pain. Just wondered if anyone had same, and how long it lasts?
I am a retired nurse, but, this week has been a nightmare,
My best to all you Easterners, stay in touch. Sometimes I feel like I'm only one in StJohns in this situation as I haven't heard from anyone on here until now.
Dauntless

Posted by Whitelilies on Oct 31, 2020 11:03 am

Dauntless‍ Hello......greetings from Ontario......
I am sending you LOTS of strength......sprinkle of snow here this morning.
Off to walk with my sons......
Keep posting and sharing....we all care and listen and offer support.

warmly,
Lillian/Whitelilies

Posted by Sher49 on Oct 31, 2020 12:46 pm

Sher49 here. I am from southern NS living 1 hour outside of Halifax. Welcome to all east coasters, even though this is not the place you really want to be welcomed to. 

Posted by Sew On on Oct 31, 2020 12:55 pm

You enjoy you weekend break and hopefully you will be able to see some ghosts and goblins tonight.  I don’t know how many will be out this year because of COVID.

Posted by MCoaster on Oct 31, 2020 1:21 pm

Welcome from B C where I have a beautiful view of “the other ocean”.

Everyone here has been touched in one or another way by cancer and there is a lot of support, both given and received.  I certainly learned more here than I did from my otherwise supportive and knowledgeable g.p. There is also a wealth of credible information about other resources.  Also a really good place to vent should you need to!

Looking forward to reading your posts.

Mcoaster

Posted by Trillium on Oct 31, 2020 2:36 pm

Thank you, Kuching‍. 
Hello Dauntless‍ Thats terrible to not have support at home, my dear. I have a family summer home/cottage on the bay about 3.5 hrs north of St John’s. Was there all last summer.

You have found a really good support group here! I am a caregiver for my son and he was on 3 chemo drugs. He was given a cocktail of meds to take 30 mts to an hour before he had his chemo IV. These drugs prevented him from having nausea etc. Not sure if these drugs can be given for any chemo though. Try asking the question under the treatment section or in your cancer type section. If you have not asked already. 

I did find this link to the Canadian Cancer Society which has phone numbers for support groups in the different regions of NL. It says all support groups have been cancelled due to covid but maybe they have phone connections to meet others or do zoom meetings. Let us know if you get any results. It could help others to know too.

so glad to hear from the East Coast folks!

Posted by Trillium on Oct 31, 2020 3:40 pm

Kuching‍ I have yet to visit Twillingate. A whole month would be a great visit. Did you like it there?

Posted by Kuching on Oct 31, 2020 5:23 pm

Trillium‍  I loved it!  I was just hitch hiking around, but wanted to go there because of the song (Fogo, Twillingate, Morton’s Harbour, All around the circle​​​​​​).  When I got there, there was nowhere to stay.  Somebody called a friend who called a friend, who said, “Does she know how to wallpaper?”  So I ended up staying with a family and helping to wallpaper their whole house.  Then they wouldn’t let me leave!  Lovely people.

Posted by Cynthia Mac on Nov 1, 2020 10:31 am

Hi, A291ER‍ Thanks for starting this thread! Does your user name have something to do with military service? 

I’m a “Cape Breton wannabe” - born and raised in Ontario, but got homesick for Cape Breton the minute I left the island the first time.

Trillium‍ I have a very good friend who used to Iive in Twillingate. She had a fabulous spot by “the tickle” near where the dinner theatre is now. The last time we went to NL, we called a B&B from Gander, and they said “Fine, come on up.” It was early in “the season.” Well, didn’t we get to the place and find a sign on the door that said, “Please call [##] using the hall phone.” Flippin’ door was open!

Posted by A291ER on Nov 1, 2020 11:17 am

Yes I was in the 291 communications trade and did 4 tours of Alert nwt inuvik and masset b.c. along with a tour in states.

Posted by Trillium on Nov 1, 2020 12:00 pm

A291ER‍ - my dad was an Army man. That’s how we left the East coast by spending 2 yrs in Germany. How are you feeling today? 

Kuching‍ - what a great adventure! I hope to visit that area when I go in the summer.

Cynthia Mac‍ - Fogo Island and the French Islands of St Pierre and Michelon are on my wish to visit list.

Posted by A291ER on Nov 1, 2020 1:46 pm

Hi Trillium  feeling good today after finally getting the courage to share my diagnosis with my brother and sisters. Good to get it out and now hsve a larger support team. I served 20 years then 24 with commissionaires as 911 dispatch was a good go. 

Posted by Trillium on Nov 1, 2020 6:56 pm

A291ER‍ - my dad worked handling ammunition in warehouses for the majority of his last years in service. He was discharged with a medical condition that was caused by the handling of ammunition. He developed an unknown skin/blood condition. 

Great that you will have your loved ones on board. This is not a journey you want to travel alone, that’s for sure. I often have moments of feeling so grateful to have the love and support of family. There is nothing better than family ❤️ for me! 

Wishing you well!

Posted by A291ER on Nov 1, 2020 7:53 pm

Thanks  🙂

Posted by SpeedyStill on Nov 1, 2020 8:47 pm

Eastern Canada, where the history of Canada began.
Saint John my home town was the first incorporated city in Canada. The gateway to Canadian progress, opening up the Country to the West Coast.
Some Westerners can help with the history from the West to the East, my history is a little sketchy there.
What do people ask for, from away?
Send me up some lobster, King Cole Tea and other products I have forgotten that are not available or hard to find.
Dulse, Periwinkles, Shad Roe, Fresh Clams, Mussels, a box of salt cod, Fresh fish right off the boats and some I can't remember.
Saint John in the 1800's and early 1900's was a wealthy City and the center of High Society.
When I watched the Movie Titanic and the little girl was sitting with her mother all prim and proper, it reminded me of the stories my mother would tell of being just like that little girl when her mother took her out to tea parties.
My mother was born in 1912 catching the time when Saint John was still flying high.
Fortunately or unfortunately for me all the money was buried in time and changes.
Change was happening then as it is today and always will be.
One thing that is constant and that is change.
Saint John also played a part in the defense of North America during the First World War and the Second World War.
Shipping supplies in the first World War and Communications and Radar in the Second World War.
The Airport was in Millegeville where fighter pilots were trained.
In case you can't tell I am a Proud Canadian and Proud of my home City of Saint John New Brunswick.
And by the way my Grandmother was born and brought up in Newfouldland.
I have Newfie blood running through my body and Proud of it. Maybe that's where I get the great pleasure sitting around the kitchen table drinking tea and having a good time.
Also my humour and the enjoyment of comedy.
There is so much more left unsaid however it is past my bedtime.
Stay strong, fill your life with good memories, and don't forget about the person who laughed themselves back to health, a stretch but there is no harm in trying.
Speedystill 

Posted by Dauntless on Nov 2, 2020 7:01 am

Hi Speedy Still,
Here in StJohn's Nl this windy morning, trying to be speedy but had Caboplatin/Alimta chemo week ago and it whomped me.
Between the nausea, fatigue, crazy rash, itching ,burning, I am poisoned , and that to me is what chemo is.
I have been on several treatments, Tki's Immunotherapy, but this is rough.
I am being tested for another TKI, and pray I will be positive to be able to take Tagrisso. I know the side effects aren't great but this week has been debilitating.
When the leaves all blow off the trees outside, I will be able to see all the ships docked in the harbor as I live right downtown StJohns.
We have such a rich history as well.
I am so happy to have found this site, and I am on Team Inspire as well. Have learned so much from both sites.. Much more than any of the Health Care Professionals I have dealt with.
Thank you for sharing, 
Dianne

Posted by Moon on Nov 2, 2020 8:54 am

Hi,
I live in Paradise which is 10 minutes from St.john’s NL

Posted by Lacey_Moderator on Nov 2, 2020 6:58 pm

So nice to meet you Moon‍, Dauntless‍, A291ER‍ !!!

My mother is from NFLD- Pouch Cove

Posted by Cynthia Mac on Nov 3, 2020 8:37 am

Hi, Moon‍ - I’ve been to Paradise! (And Brigus, and Dildo, and Holyrood...)

Dauntless‍ There was a band in NL called The Fables back around the turn of the century - their lead singer was a man named D’Arcy Broderick and they did a song (actually an album) called St. John’s, and in the song, which is about heading home, there’s a line that goes, “There’s a good day coming when you’re lyin’ your head in St. John’s.” 

Lacey_Moderator‍ - I’m going to have to look up Pouch Cove.

Posted by Belinda on Nov 3, 2020 8:39 am

Good morning:  I live on Prince Edward Island.  I was diagnosed with Stage 1 breast cancer and on an aggressive scale.  I had surgery chemo and radiation.  Today I am in remission and have been cancer free for a number of years.  When I was diagnosed, I connected with a support group and sure helped me a lot as treatment happened, side effects and the empathy of others who had been there and understood.

I believe for anyone diagnosed, feeling connected to this group who offer support, kindness and the gift of caring is important.  Together, whether newly diagnosed or have completed treatment, it matters.