How did you feel when you were first diagnosed?

How did you feel when you were first diagnosed?

Posted by Lacey_Moderator on Aug 12, 2020 11:31 am

Share one word to describe how you felt when you were first diagnosed...was it shock, sadness, fear, anger, denial?

Watch our video to explore ideas for coping when your newly diagnosed.

Re: How did you feel when you were first diagnosed?

Posted by Runner Girl on Aug 12, 2020 1:38 pm

Great information Lacey_adminCCS‍ 

I remember well how I first felt - ANGRY!

Then that changed to scared, then determination to survive.

Runner Girl
Never stop believing in HOPE because MIRACLES happen every day!

Posted by frozenstar on Aug 12, 2020 3:04 pm

Disbelief...the Dr's mouth was moving, but all I heard was a buzzing noise in my head, flashes of words..chemo..radiation..surgery... it was very unreal.
and then came the fear...

Posted by Pokergal on Aug 13, 2020 9:21 am

Devastated then scared then determination to kick this in the butt! 

Posted by Ken Anderson on Aug 13, 2020 11:47 am

Unsurprised.

I'd done my research before the diagnosis came in, so I wasn't at all shocked.  My next questions were all about "OK, what are the next steps?".  Information + familiarity replaces fear.

-Ken

Posted by Carjac87 on Aug 13, 2020 2:04 pm

Nothing. I had no reaction or thought at all.
~Don't sweat the small stuff~ Jacquie

Posted by Brighty on Aug 13, 2020 2:14 pm

I didnt have cancer but I can  clearly remember the day Dan was diagnosed.    I had a full on panic attack.   I couldn't  breathe.   I called my parents  but couldn't get a single  word out.. just sobs.  They couldn't understand  a single word I said between sobs.   They came  over to see what was going on.  I got it  out between sobs.  They calmed me down somehow so by the time I saw Dan later that day I was able to face  him with a calm and brave face.  But my face was all red and eyes puffy so hed knew I'd been crying.    
Help is out there. All you have to do is reach out.

Posted by law on Aug 13, 2020 3:21 pm

When first diagnosed, I remember I felt CAVALIER...as if it was no big deal...just another challenge....but it was because I was informed my tongue cancer was curable.
Pretty surprising to all who know me!
Only the recovery after treatments was the hideous chapter.
law

Posted by orchid*lover* on Aug 13, 2020 8:35 pm

Lacey_adminCCS‍ Fear

Posted by Tilly59 on Aug 14, 2020 2:44 pm

I felt an odd sense of excitement.  My sister cried hard, but I have yet to cry about having cancer.  There have been some moments of fear.  Mostly a sense of numbness.   I wish I had a good long cry about it.  When I saw that the doctor had written on a form that I had a poor prognosis, I couldn't read it any further. I have stage 4b cancer with 2 to 5 years to live approximately.  It feels like my life has already been taken, although my physical life still exists.  I guess my reaction is unusual.

Posted by Whitelilies on Aug 14, 2020 7:35 pm

Lacey_adminCCS‍ 

My One Word = SHOCKED

I simply did not even think that a Dr can diagnose "on the spot"/see it so clearly.
Dr saw it all, clearly; and told me so.
I was alone. On the gurney.  In a blue gown.  Drowsy.   Bloated like a whale.    Dr could not even wait until my husband arrived.

HEY: I had lunch plans! I was starving........

Whitelilies

Lillian 

Posted by Jomilks on Aug 14, 2020 11:53 pm

Terrified. Absolutely terrified. 

Posted by Trishfw on Aug 15, 2020 10:46 am

Hi
i had a pretty good idea before I was actually told. Mameo, return trip for biopsy and ultrasound.  The waiting for results. Somewhere along the line someone told me(a medical Professional) they strongly suspected cancer.  A few days later I heard from my GP.  Confirmed.  That few days gave me time to start to process.
So for my single word at the time of being confirmed, I would say I had Resigned myself to the fact.
not that all the other emotions weren’t alive and functioning well,

One note, as I heard from nurses etc, and they didn’t know if I knew they would ask questions like.  Are you aware you have cancer, do you know about chemo.  On the Chemo question I didn't know I was to get systemic treatment.  That’s when I got scared.  Ears shut off.  Thank goodness I had my support person with me.  So if turning off hearing is an emotion I had that as well.

Im doing well in treatment. Celebrated 1/2 way through Chemo yesterday!  Only 3 more to go!

Posted by Iggy331 on Aug 15, 2020 12:09 pm

In one word, angry. After my daughters stroke my family had enough to worry about. Then to get the cancer diagnosis, it was too much. I was very angry for a long time. Doing much better now!

Posted by Rene on Aug 15, 2020 2:15 pm

When I found the painful lump, I had thought it could be a cyst or something, and never dreamed to HEAR the Dr's words, saying I'm sorry, but the results we have found, is that you have breast cancer. I sat frozen, shocked and didn't know which emotion should I have brought out, you know how some people react to breaking news, in different direction of emotions like wailing, or just stunned, mind is running 70 miles an hour with what's next? 

Theory that I was at 7.4 cm...I was in between ready to go ballistic, or wail out loud? I remained stunned while boyfriend mutters, what stage? It turns out it can be treated with chemo, surgery, radiation. The Dr then said, get started for the tests and that's when I walked the halls of the hospital with boyfriend, is, is this even REAL? Like it's a nightmare...After my 1st chemo, I became very angry and found myself very alone, no assistance with groceries, to checking in on me, string of confusion to symptoms I was getting. As of today everything is somewhat back to normal, since this COVID-19 had delayed my reconstruction surgery date...Fall is approaching, I am literally with prayers for all my brothers and sisters who are battling with cancer to stay STRONG, for I am trying to do the same...

I still have flashbacks to the breaking news and suddenly I am being booked for tests here and there. One of them I couldn't stand was the taste buds of that dye drink for the CT scan..Bleh....But I rather the technicians be able to spot any cancer anywhere else to be on the safe side, then be sorry it wasn't detected sooner. 

I look back and understood to how things progress from shock to deal with it, and say well, it sure wasn't fun chapter at all but very educative. Like Cancer was my teacher, also learned quite a lot from reading here, AMAZING caring Angles out there, which helped me keep balanced. Can't wait for the waves to COOL down a bit...

Have a great weekend, E1
Quinn

Posted by Dragonelle on Sep 14, 2020 10:58 am

Stunned...it was so unexpected .