New Members-say hello

New Members-say hello

Posted by Lacey_Moderator on Jul 27, 2020 3:04 pm

A big warm welcome to our new members! Take a moment to introduce yourself below.

Re: New Members-say hello

Posted by Jholmes on Jul 27, 2020 4:03 pm

Hi Lacey,
My name is Jess and I am a wife and dog mom from Ottawa, Ontario. I was married in November 2019 ans started my cancer diagnosis adventure in February 2020. I have a Myeloproliferative neoplasm of some sort (a family of blood cancer) and am awaiting a bone marrow biopsy in the near future to find out the exact type.

I am an avid knitter and sewist. I love cooking, baking, gardening and the outdoors.

I just turned 30 and am struggling through the process of planning my life while living with cancer.

Posted by Bill4socs on Jul 27, 2020 4:56 pm

My name is Bill and I was just diagnosed with stomach cancer, having my second endoscopy tomorrow to find out the extent of spread, etc. Worried to know what stage I will be classified in given the fact stomach cancer can go so long undetected. Then comes the subject of treatments and their potential side effects.

Posted by Lacey_Moderator on Jul 27, 2020 5:31 pm

Jholmes‍ 

Welcome! Congrats on your recent wedding. Sounds like it has been a whirlwind since. I'm glad you found our community, you're not alone in that struggle.

I invite you to check out our Young Adults group here. There are a couple recent discussions I think you could relate to. I'd also like to introduce you to alexisrj‍, Iggy331‍, and Emilycp‍ other young adults you can connect with. We also have a Leukemia forum where you may relate to some of the topics.

Was your biopsy delayed due to COVID-19?

Lacey

Posted by Lacey_Moderator on Jul 27, 2020 5:35 pm

Bill4socs‍ 

Hi Bill,

Thanks for telling us more about yourself. The waiting stage is a tough one for sure, it was a great time to reach out. Fingers crossed you have caught it early. 

We have a digestive cancer forum here. I'd also like to introduce you to Charlie1‍, Sswlynn‍. Yaro‍ who also have experience with Stomach cancer. 

Have you received much information on stomach cancer? We have some info on cancer.ca you might find helpful here: https://www.cancer.ca/en/cancer-information/cancer-type/stomach/stomach-cancer/?region=on.

What symptoms did you have?

Lacey

Posted by Nadian on Jul 28, 2020 3:44 pm

Hello there
My name is Nadine and my husband was diagnosed with breast cancer in March 2020. He had a mastectomy and is currently mid-way through an 8-cycle dose-dense chemotherapy regimen. This will be followed by another surgery to remove the remaining lymph nodes in his right arm and then radiation.  It has been a rough go for both of us and COVID-19 has complicated things. I am very grateful to have found this board which was recommended to me by my family physician when I told her I was struggling.

Posted by Lacey_Moderator on Jul 28, 2020 5:00 pm

Nadian‍ 

SO glad you found us too. Love the flowers in your profile pic. 

I wanted to tell you about our Cancer and COVID webinar series you can watch them here: https://cancerconnection.ca/webinars. Cancer is hard without having to deal with a global pandemic. I hope you get a chance to watch the webinars that interest you.

Was your husband's treatment delayed?

Lacey

Posted by Nadian on Jul 28, 2020 7:39 pm

Hi Lacey 
Fortunately Ian was scheduled into surgery quickly thanks to a very organized, proactive breast cancer surgeon.  Chemo was not delayed either.
However, many of the resources that would have been available to him (social worker, dietitian, nurse navigator) were not accessible because of COVID.  

Posted by Emie on Jul 29, 2020 11:28 pm

😀 Hi Lacey!
I’m Emie!  I was diagnosed with Stage 1 Ductal Carcinoma, invasive, HER2 positive.

My mammogram was in March 12th and further ultrasound the next day.  Biopsy to left breast April 1st.   Left breast lumpectomy April 22 and the sentinel lobe biopsy (no evidence of spread) on May 1st. These surgeries were considered non-elective and were booked quickly, during CoVid and once the latter results were in, I had phone consultations with the medical and radiation oncologist within a week.  

My radiation started June 29th and is now complete.  No further treatment was recommended based on the size of tumour, however, annual mammograms are being recommended. 

Its been a week and a half.  Quite honestly,  this cancer and treatment seems surreal- it’s hard to grasp. I’m not sure where I am emotionally in this journey- I’ve felt disbelief, shock, fear, sadness, confusion, anxiety, and acceptance;  as well as a deep appreciation for technology, and exceptional nurses, doctors and members of the cancer clinic. 
I am thankful that this cancer connection community exists! 

Posted by Peterpatch on Jul 30, 2020 12:15 am

There are some similarities in our Cancer path. I found out the end of February that I had to have a follow up mammogram, followed by needle biopsy and introduction to a liaison person at our local cancer clinic. The pathology report indicated Invasive Ductal Carcinoma. I was surprised to be booked for lumpectomy and sentinel biopsy April 16 th to be followed by 16 left breast radiation treatments. I finished radiation June 15. I am now a month on Tamoxifen with no side effects. I was wondering how is your skin? Mine was quite red but did not crack. I used Basal cream throughout and saline soaks helped a great deal. How are you doing mentally? I was lucky to have my cousin Cancer survivor and GP stress the importance of a positive attitude. I told my family that I was going to kick Cancer in the butt! I wish you well. This is an amazing site with so many caring people to listen.

Posted by TJH on Jul 30, 2020 9:29 am

Hello,
My name is Terri, I am a 42 year old wife and mom of an awesome 13 year old boy and 2 year old fur baby. 
I am new to this website and so far I am finding it very helpful to read through the discussions and topics. I was diagnosed with cervical cancer on May 28 of this year and I am currently awaiting a radical hysterectomy which is due to take place on Aug 24th.

Posted by hopper on Jul 30, 2020 4:49 pm

Hi 
My name is Anna.  During a routine mammogram, the technician thought she felt something in the last moments of my appointment. She marked it as 'incidental' and I was called in for a second mammogram and ultrasound July 13th which showed a lump less than 2 cm that couldn't be felt from the outside. They did a biopsy right then and there. To be honest, I almost didn't reschedule the first mammogram after being cancelled for covid. I thought, 'why poke the bear?'. July 16th I received the diagnosis of invasive ductile cancer. I have my pre admission appointment August 6th, the placement of the wire and a dye test August 10th and surgery August 11th. It was discovered early and is small. I will have follow up radiation but that is all I know at this point. Things have happened so fast I have had a whirlwind in my thoughts.  I have moments and waves while at the same time feeling that this is happening to someone else. BUT, I have many friends are praying and I am leaning heavily on my faith in God. I really believe He helped the first technician feel something she couldn't feel from the outside. Thank you for this forum and for all of you who share your stories. I have been able to read things here that have helped immensely in this journey.

Posted by Boby1511 on Jul 30, 2020 6:35 pm

Hi. I have sarcoma cancer. Surgery done chemo started. New growth found last week. Inoperable. Trying to cope with dying and waiting on what’s next and how fast. Cancer doesn’t seem to leave my thoughts for long. First diagnosis may 2020. I’m not if this site is for the dying too... I seem to have lost the fight.

Posted by Essjay on Jul 30, 2020 6:47 pm

Boby1511‍ you absolutely have come to the right site at .cancer connections.

Im sorry for your diagnosis with such a difficult to treat cancer. It must have been very hard to hear that your latest tumour is inoperable.

Have you found the sarcoma forum? While not everyone there will be in the same circumstances as you, they will likely be facing some of the same treatments.

There are a number of people on here living with metastatic cancer, and incurable cancers. I hope as you browse through some of the posts you will see how others are coping with facing an end to their life sooner than expected.

How are you feeling today? Is there anything you need help with?

best wishes Essjay
Triple Negative Breast Cancer survivor since July 2018

Posted by Boby1511 on Jul 30, 2020 7:18 pm

Thank you. I am feeling very alone. Everyone treating special making me depressed. 

Posted by Essjay on Jul 31, 2020 7:52 am

Boby1511‍ one of the hardest parts of having cancer is letting people help you. As someone who is independent and has always been healthy, I found all the fuss and exams, and questions hard. I hate the Questionnaire I have to fill out at every visit (I’m not fond of surveys), and I find it difficult to voice what I’m dealing with.

Please don’t feel alone - there is always someone on this forum who can respond, and I encourage you to post in the Sarcoma section.

A resource I found really helpful during my journey has been the psychosocial worker who provided therapy sessions at my cancer centre and also by phone. She was really helpful as I prepped for treatment, and through it. They know what you are facing and they can help you work through the practical and emotional things. For example, I was really worried about how my partner would cope while I was having treatment and we spent a whole session working out how to make his life easier. But another session was to help me with pain management from my chemo, and we’ve talked about things like ‘s anxiety’ and fear or recurrence and stuff like that. I encourage you to seek their services out - where are you being treated?

Best wishes for the long weekend Essjay
Triple Negative Breast Cancer survivor since July 2018

Posted by Boby1511 on Jul 31, 2020 9:12 am

Thank you. I appreciate the time you took to respond. Today not a good day.

Posted by Boby1511 on Jul 31, 2020 9:22 am

I too don’t understand the questionnaire... what is the point if I’m more depressed or less than the prior visit...  

Posted by Monica87 on Jul 31, 2020 10:54 am

Hi 
I’m Monica in August 2018 I got diagnosed with stage 2 Hodgkin's lymphoma while being 35 weeks pregnant. Had a large mass between my lungs that was pushing on my trachea so got scheduled to have a csection to get my baby out as soon as possible and start treatment, started 6
months of chemo 13 days post partum. In March 2019 finished treatment and in May got my complete remission! 
now 2 years later I’m definitely struggling with lots of feelings and still get tired fast and have not much energy. 

Posted by Boby1511 on Jul 31, 2020 12:15 pm

Wow. Great news. You had a tough one. Nice to hear.

Posted by Boby1511 on Jul 31, 2020 12:18 pm

The remission that is great news. I have the fatigue which is not likely to get better. My pain also going in wrong direction. You are very lucky. Hoping you and baby continue to do even better.

Posted by Cynthia Mac on Jul 31, 2020 1:01 pm

Hello, Jholmes‍ , from a fellow avid knitter, sewer and gardener! I am sorry for the purpose that brings you here, but glad you explained all these things in your intro!

My “laddie” has a sister out near Ottawa who had chemotherapy for a blood condition called amyloidosis a few years ago. I hope your treatment plan works successfully for you. 

Feel free to PM me if you want to chat about knitting or gardening, or if there’s anything I can do to help allay any concerns about your cancer journey.
“When the root is deep, there is no reason to fear the wind.” - Japanese saying

Posted by Cynthia Mac on Jul 31, 2020 1:16 pm

Hi, Monica87‍ , your thoughts about how you feel after treatment sound familiar — I’m sure I’ve read about others who struggle with their post-treatment “normal.” Sometimes there’s some survivor guilt, sometimes they feel like they should feel like their “old normal” and are frustrated that they can’t seem to get there, and sometimes it’s something else altogether.

You might find it helpful to begin journaling your feelings, possibly in tandem with a book that will give you some suggestions. You could start with the book Living Well after Cancer, which I found on the Australia Cancer Society’s website, or the After Treatment Ends page of the Canadian Cancer Society’s website. Personally, I’ve been journaling using the words of Louise L. Hay, who has written many books about affirmations, gratitude and how our thoughts shape who we are. Her books are available from Hay House Publishing. The link is to a search of her works, but Hay House also has books by many other authors.

I see you’re a mom of a toddler now, so journaling time might be at a premium, and if that’s the case, you may just want to start a bullet journal, something that will give you a short form way of sorting through the feelings you’re having.

Posted by Cynthia Mac on Jul 31, 2020 1:24 pm

Boby1511‍ , welcome to you, too. I hope you are able to find the right treatment for your own depression. 

What is it that has you down today? 

I found, many years ago, when I was having a dark time due to a reorganization in my work, that I had to change my own “internal dialogue” and to really observe how I chose my words. This was actually about the time I discovered Louise Hay, actually (I mentioned her in my last post), and I really latched on to her philosophy that “a thought is a thought and a thought can be changed.” I stopped saying things like “don’t mention it,” and “no problem” into positive statements like, “you’re welcome” and “my pleasure.” It sounds like such a tiny thing, but I can tell you it makes a big difference in our overall (underall?) mindset! I also encourage you to reach out for help, if you think you’ll need more than this simple little change.

Already, from your posts, I’ve seen that you have such encouraging words for others on the site, and I want to encourage you to turn that encouragement toward yourself, as well. You deserve it!

Posted by Boby1511 on Jul 31, 2020 2:08 pm

Thanks for the message. I’m struggling to get to acceptance. I’m terminal. Be months not years for me. My mind can’t seem to focus on anything else. I can’t seem to get out of my head and feel like I’m drowning in depression for the last couple weeks I’m going be healthy enough to enjoy my time left.