Just diagnosed with Rectal Cancer

Just diagnosed with Rectal Cancer

Posted by ShariM on Jun 30, 2020 6:34 pm

My name is Shari  and just turned 58 and I have been diagnosed with Rectal Cancer. My journey started a few weeks ago when I noticed bleeding and mucus. I knew something was not right so called my Dr. Right away. She told me to come in and see her the next day. I did and she was concerned and arranged a colonscopy the next day. Once he had finished the Dr  said straight out you have Cancer. Next day I was in for a CT scan. It shows a tumor 8cm x 8.6 x 8.8cm. 4 cm from base of rectum. Good news it has not spread according to CT scan. Yesterday I had an MRI. My blood work was excellent.Now I wait for the call with a treatment plan. I can't explain this but I hav this calmness over me and I have not freaked out. I am surrounded by friends who have or had cancer and my support group is truly amazing! They all have success stories and mine will add to those!!

Shari (In Vancouver)

Re: Just diagnosed with Rectal Cancer

Posted by Rayline on Jun 30, 2020 10:50 pm

ShariM‍ i am sorry for your diagnosis but really pleased that you are feeling calm and loved. This is a great site to get support and info. In cancer types you will see  colorectal And would be a good place to start. When I first started I read back many pages on the lung cancer pages. I hope you will share your treatment plan when you know. 

Posted by Brighty on Jun 30, 2020 11:31 pm

ShariM‍  welcome to the site.   I'm so glad you have such a great support system and a positive  attitude.   Have you met Whitelilies‍  yet? She was diagnosed  around the same age and will be able to walk you through the process and answer your questions.    Nice to meet you and let us know how you are doing.    
Help is out there. All you have to do is reach out.

Posted by Cynthia Mac on Jul 1, 2020 7:49 am

Hi, ShariM‍ , Welcome. I, too, want to commend you for your calmness, and hope it continues to be with you throughout the weeks to come.

Please come back and keep us posted about your treatment plan. In addition to your “real life” support group, there’s a group of people here who will be here to support you along the way.
“When the root is deep, there is no reason to fear the wind.” - Japanese saying

Posted by Whitelilies on Jul 1, 2020 8:56 am

ShariM‍ Hello
Welcome to this site....and I am sorry for your reason.

I'll have what SHE'S having !!! (the calm..........)
I too commend you, on calmness.  I am happy you have wonderful support! Yeah !

I hope I can support you too.....I will share, in brief, my journey, in the hopes that it helps!
I am 58 now too!!
DX was at 56.....on first colonoscopy, Dr found tumour. Yes CT scans, Yes MRI.....hint: you may get 1 or 2 MRIs.....#1 for your 'zone'.....I heard it is common for MRI #2 to check in Liver area too....I was never fore warned....and got scared; for nothing.  You MAY have another colonoscopy by your Surgeon:  as mine said" I don't like surprises!".  Your Surgeon may wish to pre-see things, to ensure all goes well on your surgery, if you need it, date.  My tumour was 5 cm from the verge.  Quite Down-Town.
I had radiation....and 2 surgeries.  I will "push hold button now".
Keep calm.
Keep strong.
Keep focused.

We/I are all here to listen, guide, help, and support.  And yup: I have been there/done that too!

warmly
Whitelilies

Lillian
in Toronto 

Posted by ShariM on Jul 1, 2020 10:33 am

Thank you for all the support. I feel the love! My surgeon ordered a half body scan when I did my CT to check my lungs my liver Etc. All came back good including my liver enzymes test. I forgot to mention  I had a colonoscopy a year ago and was told it was all clear. When I had this colonoscopy when he first looked at it he said it was very small. So from the outside you can't tell how large it is until you actually do a CT or MRI. Also my doctor mentioned the reason I can't feel it when I am sitting is the way it is situated.

It is interesting as I wrote down all the names of my friends who have or had cancer as far as I know and it is 18 people. It's interesting that we are all in Vancouver and all in the Airline Industry!

I have received a beautiful journal and a planner to write all my appointments down and I've also received a few books that have helped people through their Journey. I could not imagine going through this without this support that I have from my fellow cancer friends.

One day at a time! I am learning to meditate also. I can't go back in time and is what it is so next step is to fight this monster.  I lost my Mom to Cancer as she found out  to late as sheignored d her health. A learning lesson and always listen to your body! Especially women as our gut instincts are so strong!!

So when I hear my treatment plan  I will be sure to share with you. I feel so lucky to be in Vancouver for its Cancer treatment facilities!

Happy Canada Day!!💕

Posted by Whitelilies on Jul 1, 2020 6:46 pm

ShariM‍ Hello (again)
You EXUDE strength and calm.
Glad body "check" shows all clear....I guess it is good to NOT "feel it"/as you sit, etc.

Soon.....it will be "behind" ya !
Please chuckle.....

Lillian