New members- say hi!

Re: New members- say hi!

Posted by Mrow on Jun 8, 2020 5:16 pm

Re: New Members Say "Hi!"

I am 6 weeks out from my final chemotherapy for Ovarian Cancer. It was caught early, unexpectedly in the pathology report after my surgery for uterine cancer., which was also caught early.
I elected to have the chemo - the standard 6 cycles of Carbo-Taxol- because it gave me the best chance ensure there was no spread.  It took more out of me than I expected. I just took it day by day, and let my body and how I felt dictate what I needed to do. 
I'm dealing with the residual physical side effects;- stomach issues, neuropathy in my feet and hands and of course fatigue. Mentally, I'm learning how to live my best life
(inspite of Covid-19 too) and try to put the anxiety aside.  
I admire the strength and the generosity of the members of this forum. The comments are helpful and supportive. Thank you all!

Posted by Lacey_Moderator on Jun 8, 2020 6:27 pm

Mrow

Congrats on finishing chemo. Thanks for introducing yourself and sharing your wisdom. 

How is life after cancer feeling? What you expected? 

Lacey
​​​

Posted by INFINITY on Jun 9, 2020 2:43 am

Hello and take care!!!
I am a 7 year stage 3 breast cancer survivor.... my mom is a 20 year breast cancer survivor... we do not have the BRCA genes...  (9 years ago I had complained of breast pain ... after a mammogram and a consult with a local surgeon I was told I was too young, breast cancer doesn't hurt and don't worry about it... and I didn't worry about it ... two years later I went to my doctor to tell him I was pregnant and my breast still hurt... he sent me for a biopsy and I was at the cancer agency within two weeks... a month later I had a mastectomy on a baseball sized tumour with half my lymphnodes found cancerous and then chemotherapy began...  all while pregnant... My 40th birthday I was bald and pregnant... two weeks later I had a tiny / healthy baby boy.. we then continued on to more chemotherapy and radiation and tamoxifen... followed by a preventative mastectomy) 
I had a diep flap reconstruction on both right and left breasts last year ... last week I celebrated 7 years from my diagnosis by having my revision surgery)  I have never joined any online forums but realize I had a lot of positive amazing experiences despite the obvious challenges... I have met so many great volunteers along my journey... that listened and answered my questions... and helped cheer me on ...  I am always looking for information about neuropathy, scar tissue (cording), healthy eating, exercise, late effects, importance of nature on mental health, talking to kids about the journey, supporting cancer supporters (its a tough job!) ... I feel like this journey never ends ... I feel a responsibility to thank others, help others and be ready for my family in case it comes back (the fear of re-occurence does lessen a bit every year!)   I want to stay connected to courageous people battling, supporting, living with and surviving cancer ... it is hard sometimes for people to understand us or hard for them to  have difficult conversations... I have to understand the moments right now are what matter...Riding our bikes to the first day of kindergarten ... that was all I wanted for 5 years! I may not see my son graduate... but I have today...  :)  I was fortunate to have an amazing team of friends and family... And the most amazing spouse, son and dog!!! ...  FYI... My son is perfectly healthy... loves to read, ride bikes, play sports, draw, do lego, play piano...  I am grateful everyday... I have my son because they didn't find the cancer the first time I went in... everything happens for a reason!!!   This quote was shared with me when I was diagnosed by another cancer survivor... so true to this day... 
And once the storm is over.. | Storm quotes, Quotes to live by, Storm

Posted by Lacey_Moderator on Jun 9, 2020 8:56 am

INFINITY‍ thank you so much for sharing your experience. I'd like to introduce you and Reid

You were both diagnosed while pregnant. I hope you can connect. 

Posted by Elsie13 on Jun 9, 2020 10:51 pm

Bunnylee‍ , how are you and your husband doing now?  Is he having treatments at the moment?  Remember to take care of yourself, too!
In 2016: diagnosed with stage 2 ovarian cancer. Treatment: hysterectomy, chemo, radiation. Afterwards: No Evidence of Disease!

Posted by Cynthia Mac on Jun 10, 2020 7:37 am

INFINITY‍ - In the “there are no accidents” department, you sure came along at the right time! I’ve been reading Reid‍ ‘S story and not known how to support her (as I’ve never even pregnant and my only brush with cancer was pre-cancerous cells), so I’m really glad you’ve come along and hope you and she can connect.
“When the root is deep, there is no reason to fear the wind.” - Japanese saying

Posted by Mrow on Jun 10, 2020 4:50 pm

Hello Lacey,

I am starting to get my energy back, but it is not a linear progression. I've scaled back expectations and enjoy the things I can do and enjoy. I do take time to rest and not overdo it.  I have more focus and direction in choosing how I spend my time. Loving the better weather and puttering in the garden. 

Mary

Posted by A291ER on Oct 16, 2020 2:33 pm

Hi everyone, my name is Roger and have recently been diagnosed with stage 4 lung cancer, which has spread to my lower spine area, where three tumours have been spotted.
Today I met with my cancer treatment team and we went over a plan for radiation in the coming weeks. I am currently in tremendous  pain in back area, which I have medication to take the edge off. My cancer was first spotted by a routine cat scan when I went in emergency for lower back pain. I am in a positive state of mind and determined to put up a fight and will keep you all updated as I go through this. - Thank you for listening to me.

-Roger