Participant group for people at risk for lung cancer

Participant group for people at risk for lung cancer

Posted by Rayline on Nov 6, 2019 10:21 pm

A few years ago I heard of research group looking for participants who were at risk for lung cancer. I was quite excited as I thought it I would be the perfect participant as my mother and father both died due to lung cancer, I smoked for 20 years (quit 29 years ago). I tracked down the application and applied. I was sure they would want me. I was rejected,  not high risk enough.!!!  I was very disappointed. When I was diagnosed with lung cancer in March my first thought went to the research group, maybe it would have been found earlier. Oh well as my doctor said “bit of a drag ah”
please keep me in your thoughts this weekend, pet and ct scan.

Re: Participant group for people at risk for lung cancer

Posted by Cynthia Mac on Nov 7, 2019 9:00 am

I hope your tests go well, Rayline‍ (I’m not concerned about the results, not the administration of them - I’m sure that part will be fine.)
“When the root is deep, there is no reason to fear the wind.” - Japanese saying

Posted by ashcon on Nov 7, 2019 9:51 am

Hi Rayline‍ 
​​​​​​You are definitely in my thoughts.  
It is so great that you had an awareness of your risks and that you quit smoking all those years ago. 
It is unfortunate that you were declined for this study earlier, but no one could say definitively that, if you were involved,  it would have resulted in an earlier diagnosis. 
Many of us have "woulda shoulda coulda's" related to cancer. 
It's a nasty unpredictable beast. 
So when you have a diagnosis, you put your big boy/big girl pants on and do what you need to do to deal with it!

Keep us posted on your test results! 
---- "Nothing ever becomes real till it is experienced." ----

Posted by Rayline on Nov 8, 2019 12:40 am

Ashcon, I am a pretty positive person and I was just relaying my experience about the research group. I am dealing with my lung cancer in the best way I know how to. It was not good news I received when I was told I had lung cancer. But life goes on, thank you God. I’m working, exercising, walking hanging out with family and friends. I may have accepted it today not sure what news next week will bring. And I would wish everyone a chance of early diagnosis as it helps to minimize the destruction that cancer cells can cause to us. Also the sooner it is caught then you hear those wonderful words curable rather than incurable. And I know stage one can turn into stage 4 in a breath.
I will let you know test results and thank you for keeping me in your thoughts.
Cynthia Mac you are so kind and positive, I appreciate your posts😘