Help, I need some positive advice

Help, I need some positive advice

Posted by Pm on Mar 14, 2019 10:48 pm

Hi everyone.  My mother who is 80 years old was told that she has a mass on her right upper lobe of her right  lung.  She also had a nodule on her left lung that the doctor didn’t seem concerned with. She has COPD. They noticed a fractured rib in the scan.  My mom said she hurt her rib a few weeks ago but didn’t fo to hospital because they wouldn’t do anything with a broken rib.  She managed with pain medication.  Based on the information, do you think the mass and nodule are related.  Is there any chance that the mass could be benign.  Could it be spreading.  They said they saw nothing in her brain or other organs.  I have to stay positive for her. Please share your positive thought only please.  Thank you 🙏 

Re: Help, I need some positive advice

Posted by Cynthia Mac on Mar 15, 2019 10:15 am

Hi,  Pm (Hmm. Your username seems a little too short for tagging. Lacey_adminCCS‍ , can this be?)

Your mom and my dad are the same age, and have the same condition (COPD). I also have a neighbour who is now in her 70s who had a spot removed from her lung about 6 years ago.

I don’t think any of us here can know whether your mom’s spots are one thing or another, but I can appreciate you reaching out for answers to these difficult questions. 

It’s kind of important for you to take the positives you can from this, those being that this appears to be isolated to her lungs, and that you recognize the need to be positive for her.

Have they determined what your mom did to her rib? Was it a cough or a fall? How close are you to your mom, geographically? Having gone through this with Dad, I think it will help you to go to upcoming appointments with your Mom, if she’d want that. You’ll have the information first hand, and you can jot down notes from the apppointment for the two of you to review after.

Every case of cancer is different, but I can say that more can be done in the medical field today than could be done even 10 years ago. If I recall correctly, my neighbour had a lobe removed, and with Dad, they were able to take out just the two spots they found on his one lung. I can also advise that some spots on a lung can be caused from scarring — either from pneumonia or another severe respiratory occurrence. That may be why the doctor is less concerned about the one spot.

If positivity is your goal, please avoid researching your mom’s condition on-line. There’s a lot of hokey, inaccurate information out there! That being said, the Canadian Cancer Society website and other reputable medical sites might have more info for you.

You’re welcome to come here at any time for support. 

Re: Help, I need some positive advice

Posted by Lacey_adminCCS on Mar 17, 2019 8:01 pm

Cynthia Mac‍ 
​​​​​​
Yes usernames must be three characters for us to tag them!