New Members!

Re: New Members!

Posted by Lacey_adminCCS on Mar 17, 2019 7:58 pm

Thanks everyone for taking a second to say hi!

Please let me know if you need help navigating the site! 

I look forward to getting to know you all better! 

Lacey

Posted by Acecard on Mar 18, 2019 4:55 am

Im so happy i found yall here, im 58 years old , i just had a biopsy three weeks ago after having a x ray at the VA clinic 5 weeks ago, , the x ray showed a tiny spot barley noticeable till i had the cat scan a month ago that showed a spot in my right lung a little bigger than a half inch. I went back 3 weeks ago for a biopsy. I received the biopsy results 15 days ago, the doctor who called me from the Veterans Hospital told me the biopsy was positive for cancer and he was refering me to Tri West a company that schedules appointments for veteran's care outside of the VA ,im still waiting on an appointment with a oncologist here in branson mo , the VA doctor told me i should start kemo therapy as soon as possible and he made me a appointment to see him again in 4 months , i had a chest x ray last August that showed nothing , over a half inch in 7 months ? I've had a couple other nodules that they have been monitoring for several years,  he told me surgery was probly not an option with me having severe COPD , ive been on oxygen for 2 years ,2 liters continuous, I've not said anything to anyone other than my wife as of yet, i have four daughters from my previous marriage ages 41 , 35 , 34  and 29,  i dont know if i should wait till i see the oncologist to say anything to my girls , i have been living with my 89 year old father here in his home in branson mo. For 15 months, he has dementia, it has been a strain on my marraige with me living here taking care of dad and my wife in Arkansas, we do see each other about every month , i dont know what to expect when i see the oncologist here, ive read post here  mentioning pet scans before kemo,  will i be able to care for my father while doing kemo ? Im at a loss really what to expect and what i need to prepare for , any help would be greatly appreciated,  Thank you all for letting me ramble on  here .

Posted by ACH2015 on Mar 18, 2019 7:59 am

Hi Acecard‍ 

You have a lot on your plate with looking after your father and now your own health issues.

I think it's pretty common for us to want to shield family from our health issues. I don't know why we do it, I know initially I did it myself, and then decided to let family know as much as I did as information came available.

There is nothing wrong with letting your daughters know that you are undergoing further tests and have been referred to an oncologist for treatment as you have been determined to have cancer. I am sorry you find yourself in this situation.

You and I are about the same age. I am putting myself in the position of your daughters when I say that I would want to know what is going on with my father sooner than later. No sense in waiting, I believe in letting family know at the outset. I also know when I was diagnosed with cancer, it took time for me to process and accept my situation before I could share it.

Your question about being able to continue looking after your father while you are on chemo. First, let me say how commendable it is for you to have put yourself out there as his caregiver. I know first hand how challenging it is dealing with Alzheimer's disease.

Chemotherapy has many potential side effects. Fatigue is very common among st many of us. You will need rest, sleep and your body will dictate how able you are to carry on during treatment. At this time, I suggest you need to put greater effort toward your own health and needs given the circumstances. Its tough, and that includes looking out for your fathers needs here as well.

You mention you are a Veteran. Do your benefits provide for home care beyond yourself? Other family members, in home support or a care facility may be the options best to seek out. Your situation may also require hospitalization or increased care while you undergo chemotherapy or other treatments.

Below I have copied a link for you from the American Cancer Society. Like its Canadian Cousin, its full of good reliable information and resources.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwi_kv7Ez4vhAhUGca0KHdW-BeIQFjAAegQIARAC&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.cancer.org%2F&usg=AOvVaw3EFdMEajalEE_Ca2f7PVZd

This link is specific for you to find support and programs in your area. or call 1 800 227 2345.

Search for Programs in Your Area

I hope this helps, to find the answers for you, your father and family move forward.

Keep well

ACH2015

Posted by Cynthia Mac on Mar 18, 2019 8:37 am

jens‍ And Minus2‍ , I had to learn this the hard way, too. Apparently my Dad had “picked a date” to resume smoking after his lung surgery. I was very angry, but the only person that hurt was me. Dad did all the right things, was an almost exemplary patient then, bam, he did the worst possible thing he could do for his condition.

Jens, I think Minus2 has hit it on the head - my Dad, too, has outlived his father (by nearly 20 years - Dad’s going to be 80 this year and his dad died at age 60), and, in Dad’s case, Mom had just passed away when he got this bout of cancer, and it all comes across as though he’s in no great rush to prolong his life after losing his partner of 58.9 years.

If you can have a good, wholesome conversation with your Mom, she might be able to let you in to her world so you can understand a bit better what’s going through her mind, and if you can’t, you might choose to set up an appointment with a cancer worker at your hospital. He or she might have some insight that will help you through this part of the journey.

RickG‍ , you are an awesome “off the cuff” writer, and your lovely Judy is so very fortunate to have you! I wish you both well as you navigate this new, challenging chapter in your life together.

Acecard‍ , your condition sounds a little like what my father had - a spot on the right lung. Dad, too has COPD, but apparently not as severe as yours, and they were able to operate. He also had chemo (following surgery). They did his PET scan beforehand to make sure there was no other cancer (plus an MRI - a PET scan doesn’t read the brain clearly enough). As to whether you’ll be able to care for your Dad during chemo, it’s difficult to say. Dad did well, but they never got his chemo dosage up to 100% - they kept it at 80% because of his white cell count. He was largely able to care for himself, but I stayed with him the day of his chemo, and a health nurse came out the day after to check his vitals. That being said, I don’t know which chemo meds they will put you on or how it might affect you, so I would recommend that you put a contingency plan in place in case you need to make a quick trip back to the hospital for attention around your own treatments. ACH2015‍’s advice, as always, is good - this is a time to look after your own health first. 

To anyone I may have missed, welcome to Cancer Connection. I’m just on my way to a meeting right now — I’ll check back in later.

Posted by MDM13 on Mar 18, 2019 10:26 am

ashcon‍ I was curious what was being discussed about HIPEC in Canada lately. Decided to join and answer a few questions. Also, even though the doctors say I’m doing so well being NED all this time, the thought of a recurrence still lingers. 

Posted by Lacey_adminCCS on Mar 18, 2019 10:48 am

MDM13‍ 

Glad you decided to join. Many people join looking for info about HIPEC. It would be great if you could share more of your experience with us. You can click Forums-Cancer Types- and then choose the type of cancer you had.

I'm glad you're doing well. You're definitely not alone with your thoughts of recurrence. I hope you find it helpful to read about how others cope.

Nice to meet you here,
Lacey

Posted by jens on Mar 23, 2019 9:53 pm

Cynthia Mac:
jens‍ And Minus2‍ , I had to learn this the hard way, too. Apparently my Dad had “picked a date” to resume smoking after his lung surgery. I was very angry, but the only person that hurt was me. Dad did all the right things, was an almost exemplary patient then, bam, he did the worst possible thing he could do for his condition.

Jens, I think Minus2 has hit it on the head - my Dad, too, has outlived his father (by nearly 20 years - Dad’s going to be 80 this year and his dad died at age 60), and, in Dad’s case, Mom had just passed away when he got this bout of cancer, and it all comes across as though he’s in no great rush to prolong his life after losing his partner of 58.9 years.

If you can have a good, wholesome conversation with your Mom, she might be able to let you in to her world so you can understand a bit better what’s going through her mind, and if you can’t, you might choose to set up an appointment with a cancer worker at your hospital. He or she might have some insight that will help you through this part of the journey.

RickG‍ , you are an awesome “off the cuff” writer, and your lovely Judy is so very fortunate to have you! I wish you both well as you navigate this new, challenging chapter in your life together.

Acecard‍ , your condition sounds a little like what my father had - a spot on the right lung. Dad, too has COPD, but apparently not as severe as yours, and they were able to operate. He also had chemo (following surgery). They did his PET scan beforehand to make sure there was no other cancer (plus an MRI - a PET scan doesn’t read the brain clearly enough). As to whether you’ll be able to care for your Dad during chemo, it’s difficult to say. Dad did well, but they never got his chemo dosage up to 100% - they kept it at 80% because of his white cell count. He was largely able to care for himself, but I stayed with him the day of his chemo, and a health nurse came out the day after to check his vitals. That being said, I don’t know which chemo meds they will put you on or how it might affect you, so I would recommend that you put a contingency plan in place in case you need to make a quick trip back to the hospital for attention around your own treatments. ACH2015‍’s advice, as always, is good - this is a time to look after your own health first. 

To anyone I may have missed, welcome to Cancer Connection. I’m just on my way to a meeting right now — I’ll check back in later.

Posted by jens on Mar 23, 2019 10:00 pm

Thank you Minus2 for the insight, much appreciated! 

Posted by DimplesIDC on Apr 14, 2019 12:20 pm

Hi there - I just made my first post in the Introduce Yourself forum.
I chose my username DimplesIDC - because I've always had a dimple when I smile, but recently I found a dimple in my breast that wasn't so sweet.  It turned out to be Invasive Ductal Carcinoma :(
No palpable lump, just a dimple - and that was my warning sign.
I look forward to giving and receiving support with this community.
Noticed a dimple on self-exam - March 8/2019 Mammogram & Ultrasound - March 12/2019 Core Needle Biopsy - April 2/2019 Diagnosed with Invasive Ductal Carcinoma - April 11/2019

Posted by Cynthia Mac on Apr 15, 2019 11:12 am

Hi, DimplesIDC‍ . I saw that post and the response from Minus2‍ , which was so perfect, I didn’t even need to chime in!

I just want to say that you’ve found a most supportive place. There is a group for breast cancer that you can join - unfortunately, it’s one of the most active groups: fortunate in that there’s lost of support, but unfortunate that this cancer is so prevalent!

This is a safe place to talk about your feelings and your experiences. There are many people (men and women) who have had BC, and you’ll meet some of them as you go along. I’m here because of being a caregiver to my Dad, who had lung cancer 18 months ago.

Posted by Sharon F on Apr 15, 2019 11:47 am

Hi. My husband has lung cancer. Tumour on his brain and spots on his lung. He has Chemo today, which is hopefully his last. We are hoping this can switch to immunotherapy. This site is helping already. I have tears in my eyes and can't wait til I have time to explore the site. Sharon F

Posted by ACH2015 on Apr 15, 2019 12:17 pm

Hi Sharon F‍ 

Sharon, Welcome to this wonderful site. I am sorry you had to become a member, however - the support, knowledge, sharing and sense of community are just some of the benefits of membership!

I am glad to hear your husband's chemo treatment has progressed toward a possible transition to immunotherapy.

There are so many helpful and beneficial Forums and Groups here to join in on to share and learn.

Please remember your husband has cancer, and that affects you and other family members as well.

I have had cancer myself, and have been dealing with treatments, recovery and recurrence since 2016. I'd like to offer you a link form the Canadian Cancer Society it talks about coping when you have cancer.

http://www.cancer.ca/~/media/cancer.ca/CW/publications/Coping%20when%20you%20have%20cancer/32127-1-NO.pdf

The link below is for you. Its good information for you as a caregiver. You need to look after yourself in coping and finding strategies to keep you healthy in mind and body as well as you both navigate this cancer experience.

http://www.cancer.ca/en/cancer-information/cancer-journey/if-you-re-a-caregiver/?region=on

We look forward to hearing from you soon.

Keep well and keep in touch.

ACH2015 - Andy.

Posted by DimplesIDC on Apr 15, 2019 8:35 pm

Cynthia Mac:
Hi, DimplesIDC‍ . I saw that post and the response from Minus2‍ , which was so perfect, I didn’t even need to chime in!

I just want to say that you’ve found a most supportive place. There is a group for breast cancer that you can join - unfortunately, it’s one of the most active groups: fortunate in that there’s lost of support, but unfortunate that this cancer is so prevalent!

This is a safe place to talk about your feelings and your experiences. There are many people (men and women) who have had BC, and you’ll meet some of them as you go along. I’m here because of being a caregiver to my Dad, who had lung cancer 18 months ago.

Cynthia Mac‍  thank you for your note.  The one piece I didn't mention in my post but will now that you mentioned your dad, is that my mom was diagnosed with Primary Lung Cancer just 2 weeks before my diagnosis.  Her prognosis is good, and she is scheduled for her lobectomy this Wednesday.    It's been a bit of a whirlwind for the whole family to have us both hit with this in the last couple weeks.  I would welcome any advice you have in helping your dad through his situation, as that's top of mind for me too.  
Noticed a dimple on self-exam - March 8/2019 Mammogram & Ultrasound - March 12/2019 Core Needle Biopsy - April 2/2019 Diagnosed with Invasive Ductal Carcinoma - April 11/2019

Posted by Cynthia Mac on Apr 16, 2019 7:56 am

Oh, my goodness - it’s astounding at times, the tests some families are put through! One of my best friends is going through something similar in that her Mom had a recurrence of cancer and her son was newly diagnosed, meanwhile her dad’s heart condition required attention at the same time.

You mention the whole family is reeling — how big is the family? Are they all rallying around you? Who’s going to be your primary caregiver, and who will be your mom’s?

My best advice is to get organized. One of the best things you can do is to set up a google calendar and share it with the family. I colour-coded all of Dad’s appointments so I could see at a glance, on whatever device I had in my hand, what my own commitments were and what I had on the go concerning Dad.

To burn off the anxiety of the waiting period between knowing you have cancer, and not knowing all the details about it, again, organize. Mundane tasks can help distract us, so go through closets, prepare a few meals ahead, for days when you get in late from an appointment, vacuum the house to within an inch of its life, clean out the garage - that sort of thing. Some of these tasks are things the whole family can pitch in with, which has the added bonus of making memories. An afternoon making perogies, or meatpies can be a great distraction! Although, with your Mom’s surgery coming up so soon, this advice might be a bit late.

When Dad went through chemo, I found a crafting box and labelled it up with his medications - I put an outline of the pill’s shape, and when he needed to take them (the day before, the day of, etc.). For the one pill taken “as needed”, I just put the whole bottle into the large slot in the box.

I also set Dad up with a specific notebook for his health care, so he’d know where everything is - what medications he takes, when all his appointments are (he’s not “google ready”) and what happened at those appointments - I even had a tab for him to record symptoms that didn’t fit in the little booklet the cancer centre gave him.

For supports, use the groups here, and don’t be afraid to seek out the help of the support desk at your local cancer centre, and other programs like the Look Good Feel Good classes, if need be.

If you have any other questions, let me know.

Sharon F‍ , welcome to the site - we have groups for lung cancer and for caregivers, and we also have a private group called Ladies’ Retreat. We are huge advocates of self-care for caregivers, often using the analogy of putting on your own oxygen mask before helping others! 

We always want to know how group members are doing, so whenever you’re able, keep us posted.

Share with your friends: