Coping with the day to day anxiety

Coping with the day to day anxiety

Posted by Incureable on Oct 6, 2018 9:28 pm

Irishlad here:  Just diagnosed with stage 4 colon cancer after emergency operation to remove my lower colon. Now I have a colostomy and the cancer is spread to god knows where and I have been told it is a stage 4 incureable cancer.  Wow I am so disorientated and anxious.  I am running in circles to try and keep my sanity.  Help Any suggestions? \mike

Re: Coping with the day to day anxiety

Posted by cancertakesflight on Feb 6, 2019 8:01 pm

Incureable‍ . I'm sorry to hear what you're going through. When you last posted you didnt know where your cancer had spread but you knew you were stage 4. I can only imagine what anxiety you may be experiencing. We all deal with a cancer diagnosis differently but there are some basics that are the same.

Only you can decide how much you can deal with at a time before you feel overwhelmed. If one day at a time is still too much to deal with only look at an hour at a time. You can only really deal with the here and now. I understand that it is not easy to do for anyone. Based on your post date you will have more information and some time to adjust. Please let us know how you're doing. We would love to hear from you. Perhaps ACH2015‍  can share some of his thoughts and wisdom

Cancertakesflight

Posted by ACH2015 on Feb 7, 2019 6:58 am

cancertakesflight‍ 

An older threat that Mike and I talked about some time ago, and a good intro for a check up:

Incureable‍ 

Mike, Last we heard you were undergoing chemotherapy and were 25% completed the treatment.

Those of us that have undergone the process know that it can be a draining process in many ways. I hope you are managing well, and can get in touch with us once up to it.

Keep well

ACH2015 - Andy.

Posted by SpeedyStill on Feb 7, 2019 4:16 pm

It is true that each one of us deals with the anxiety in different ways just like every ones journey is different. It is the unknown that we all think about.  All the thoughts that keep racing threw our heads.  I have found that if I keep my mind busy I  will have less time to think about myself. The things that I do are listen to music and here don't restrict yourself to one type however make sure the music you chose is uplifting.  I read books I like historical fiction  but reading is emercing  yourself in someone else's life which takes you away from your own problems.
You might say that this sound like my sister Sara who is 76 and hasn't been sick a day of her life.  
Unfortunately I am a 71 year old male who was diagnosed with Lymphoma  Dec. 2009 had 6 aggressive doses of Chemotherapy which worked.  This July I was diagnosed with! Kidney Cancer and right now they are just monitoring it's growth.
My granddaughter just arrived
Best Wishes
SpeedyStill

Posted by Cynthia Mac on Feb 8, 2019 10:47 am

Hi, SpeedyStill‍ , of course, having grandchildren drop by is also a great way to keep your mind off your worries!

Posted by SpeedyStill on Feb 8, 2019 8:23 pm

I have been extremely fortunate to be able to spend time with both of my grandchildren a 14 year old girl and a 6 year old boy.  I started spending more time with my granddaughter  after I recovered from my 6 chemotherapy treatments in 2010. Then after my grandson was born I had time to spend with him. Retirement after my long term insurance ran out was one of the best decisions I made.
This past year and a half has been more difficult my wife of 44 year moved out and is now living with her mother. I have been dealing with depression and pain for several years. This past year the pain has been getting progressively worse. I am sure it is due to the Kidney Cancer that I was diagnosed with in July.
I am taking lots of medication and the only way to get to sleep is to take sleeping pills.
All this makes it hard for me to continue to enjoy my grandchildren.
I am a fighter so I am not giving up tomorrow is another day and I will keep pushing forward.
Best Wishes SpeedyStill 

Share with your friends: