Let's discuss the first questions you had when diagnosed

Let's discuss the first questions you had when diagnosed

Posted by Nicole_admin on Mar 25, 2015 10:17 am

When you or a loved one was diagnosed with cancer, you likely had a lot of questions. Finding the right answers to your questions is important- those answers will help you make decisions that are right for you. You may have had questions relating to the type of cancer, treatment types, fertility, prognosis, or second opinions.

There are many different questions that you may have had so let’s discuss, what were the first questions you had when diagnosed?

0b168453d99acc48c6095c5c9bcf380b-huge-ap

Re: Let's discuss the first questions you had when diagnosed

Posted by Windancer on Mar 25, 2015 11:20 am

What did I do to get this?

Terry
"Never Give Up, Go Around, Go Over, Go Through but Never Ever Give Up".

Posted by PaulP on Mar 25, 2015 2:09 pm

My first hint was a PSA of 300 during a routine test followd with a bone scan with 30+ metastases.
Even then I was not  officially diagnosed  as having prostate cancer. I was told that I would have to wait for a few months for a biopsy to confirm cancer before anyone could do anything about my cancer.
My first question was: What are they waiting to help me? I was so busy fighting for treatments that I had no time for any other questions.
PaulP

Posted by deafone on Mar 25, 2015 2:55 pm

Why was this not picked up on mammogram/ultrasound I had.  If  I had not insisted on biopsy we would  not have found it for another year! 

Posted by Beaver on Mar 25, 2015 2:58 pm

How will this affect my family? What kind? Prognosis?
Answers:  It really worries them and that is my main worry. Lymphoma in the liver - surgeon had only seen two in his lifetime. Can't say but I am in remission and in chemo maintenance for next two years.  Comments:  I feel really great.  Chemo side effects were next to nil.  Count my blessings.  Live with it.  Keep busy mentally and physically.  Enjoy life.  Be positive.

Posted by dragon1sp on Mar 25, 2015 9:34 pm

In Dec, i had a cough that would not go away and I had a nasty fall at work, I got an xray . I was told I had a hole in my lung . I got a scan with radio active stuff, was told it was a mystery as to what was causing this hole in my lung. In feb. I got a broncyscopy, told i had sqaumas cell carsinoma on my lung . did a pet scan . was told I needed surgery. That realy scared me. I looked at all the sights on surgery and side effects, when i was getting my gown on for surgery I could not go thought with it, I could not handle the thought of beening cut up because of cancer, Everything was happening to fast that i got depressed and lost the will to survive. But i looked into radiation to see if that would cure this type of cancer, so now I have had my first treatment. I now have hope to live a longer life. I quess having cancer is not the end of the world if you find the right treatment for yourself .

Posted by northernguy on Mar 26, 2015 12:52 pm

My firs questions were is it curable ?  After that was
how and what do we do first? 
do
we

Posted by nancy180 on Mar 31, 2015 9:38 am

I was diagnosed with a tumor at the GI juntion in my esphoagus. First thing I asked was
"why can't you just use a laser and zap it off?"  That got a good laught from the surgeon .
However, I believe those days will come.

Nancy

Posted by Blazin on Apr 2, 2015 3:14 am

Well let's see. I didnt ask how long or what treatment i would be getting or even if it could be cured. If you can believe my first question was Am i going to lose my hair, yes that was it i think i shocked my wife,kids, doctor and nurse. Yep that was it. If you look at my profile picture you can see why LOL

Posted by Kiki on Apr 2, 2015 10:11 am

My first question was: "How bad is it?" I was alone, just me and the doctor. Left the doctor's office right away, sat in the car for about 30 minutes, shocked. Wanted to cry, did not.

Posted by thewenceslaos on Apr 2, 2015 12:38 pm

My name is Chavez-Michele, I am 69 and was diagnosed after my prostrate biospy on March 2th 2015.
I really did not think of any questions at the time as i was still at the "taking it all in"( what my doctor was saying) and hearing about my options.
after talking with my wife, we both have decided to go with the removal of the prostrate,  and  we will be attending the info session on the options on April 7th, in Calgary. At that time i will be asking questions in regards to the procedure and the post care and what I should expect. 

Posted by Summer on Apr 4, 2015 10:55 pm

Hello, I have been diagnosed with invasive lobular carcinoma and just had my first chemo treatment the day before yesterday. Just looking for any information from any one else with this form of breast cancer?

Posted by freetobeme on Apr 5, 2015 12:11 pm

I was diagnosed with invasive lobular carcinoma back in July. Had mastectomy end of July (one breast). Did 2 rounds of chemo (was supposed to do 6) but got a blood clot in the arm it was going into. Stopped chemo after that point but started on blood thinning meds (tinzaparen, then Warfarin). Did 16 cycles of radiation (completed Dec. 31 of 2014). During my journey was diagnosed with kidney cancer (solid mass on left kidney suspicious of renal cell carcinoma) Dr. said 95 percent cancer). Had partial nephrectomy in February with the pathology showing NO cancer (was a rare tumour - metenephric adenoma). Have since stopped warfarin & don't take any other meds and now consider myself cancer free. Felling marvellous.

Posted by Handy60 on Apr 6, 2015 2:49 pm

I started with a doctors visit for urinary problems , PSA about 15.7 , next the first urologist and another PSA about the. Same . The next was the prostate biopsy in August 2013 .I received the results in October .I was shocked and a little stunded at the results , just seemed unreal that it was actually cancer and not just enlarged like a lot of men over 50 .  The doctor recommended the surgery option because of my age and other facts . I was not keen on surgery as I really did not do well near hospitals , white coat syndrome but the surgery was done dec 2013 . 

Posted by Springtime on Oct 9, 2015 4:38 am

I kind of knew when I went to my family doc.  I had a indent in my left breast - it wasn't noticable unless I raised my arm over my head - but then it was very noticable.  When I showed my doc he sent me for a mammogram - I could tell by his eyes that he knew it too though.  After the mammogram - they did an ultrasound - I spent the first of many hours in a waiting room.  People came and went.  I stayed where I was trying to read a magazine and not really taking anything in.  I sat in the waiting room for (well it seemed like forever).  Then after everyone had left they came and got me - said they would have to do a biopsy - this girl came in - like it was her mission in life - she seemed angry and took the needle biopsy - done.  My doc called me on my cell phone while I was at Costco with my boyfriend at the time to let me know it was cancer.  

I don't remember what my first question was - there were lots of questions after - but at first it was kind of shock.  

Posted by Springtime on Oct 9, 2015 5:10 am

My boyfriend at the time had asked me to move in with him - before the diagnosis.  After the diagnosis - he bought me a huge bouquet of flowers - stunning.  I thought - I am so lucky - he is being a rock.  Then the rock crumbled - into dust - but kept blowing in my eyes - he left.  Within 10 months he got engaged - then broke up - in those 10 months I did my six rounds of chemo and 31 of radiation and my lovely lovely granddaughter was born.  He wanted to come back together.  He has done so much for my family and has been there for us since, through my father's illness and death - but I can't even mention the word cancer around him.   He walks away - literally.  Just walks away.  Goes to get the recycling or do the laundry without a word.  Done.  We can talk about sports or the kids, or his work or sometimes my work.  

Posted by Springtime on Oct 9, 2015 5:14 am

And really - most of the time I don't want to talk about cancer or fear of recurrence or odds either - that's something I'll deal with if and when necessary - but ...sometimes - it did happen.  It is real.  

Posted by Springtime on Oct 9, 2015 5:28 am

And he told me at one point that a doctor told him he may have testicular cancer.  He said he walked out of the room and never went back.  ???  He did tell me that.  I know he helped a neighbor move a dryer and had some pain after - so thinking, well, may be a torsion sort of thing and go away? but you should follow up - I'm telling him  to follow up, while I'm bald and sick, etc. And he's telling me things with his fiance Lisa are either really really good or really really bad - men always confide in their exes don't they?  Or is it just me?  Then he honestly puts in more effort than any man alive - he really really put himself out there - and I feel somewhat crazy... sorry for the post.

Posted by Springtime on Oct 9, 2015 5:46 am

Stage and Grade I would have questions about.  And the signficance of each.  I think they were different on different reports.  I'll have to dig up the copies that I do have.  I do know "family hisory" was completely wrong on the report I saw = okay, understandable - the doc didn't really focus on it - but, if someone else reviews it - it may look like I am inconsistent or a 'poor historian'.  I know it doesn't matter - but it kind of does.

Posted by Springtime on Oct 9, 2015 5:51 am

Kind of makes me wonder about the stage and grade thing too - if the report is inaccurate re family history and one report says stage 2, another says stage 3, I mean I guess they know what they're doing right, but they are just doing it fast because they have to.  Think I need to watch the conference on dealing with anxiety lol.

Posted by northernguy on Jan 14, 2016 2:14 pm

I had been going to a medicentre doctor and for over a year they were testing me for an infection.  I first met my new doctor and twenty mins later I had an appointment for a ultasound.  Should The medicentre doctors not have tried more tests as my symtoms were the same and yet same tests which to me know were giving the Cancer a year to grow due to either lack of interest in checking further or lack of knowledge about types of Thyroid cancer.

Posted by LucyM on Feb 4, 2016 9:07 pm

Hi.  I was totally shocked, never had symptoms, went for regular physicals, worst day of my life.

Posted by jenelda1 on Jun 17, 2016 1:32 am

I was terrified when I got the call (last August) from the Cross Cancer clinic...I didn't even know my files had been referred to them due to a miscommunication from the assistant at the surgeon's office.  Not only that, my cousin had just passed away in May, and I was actually house sitting for her husband when the call came.  The first thing that came to me was "be careful what you wish for".  I had prayed for God to let her live, and to pass her burdens onto me...I know that's stupid, but at the time I had been going through a lot of emotional crap and was in a bad place.  Anyways...turns out I had the cancer long before this all happened with my cousin...but the irony of me having cancer while she was dying from her cancer, and praying to take her cancer away was kinda how my life seems to go.

When I finally saw the oncologist, she basically said "this is what we suspect you have, this is what we will do for surgery, and possibly (and they use that word to trick you ;) since they know that's what comes after surgery ) chemotherapy and radiation" 

I actually had no questions...I think I was too numb at that point..the only thing I thought to ask was how long till the surgery would be scheduled.

It really hit me when I went back to the oncologist after my surgery...and she told me I had stage 3 endometrial cancer.  The ONLY thought that went screaming through my whole body was "OMG!!! STAGE 3  WHAT THE HELL....EVERYBODY KNOWS STAGE 4 IS TERMINAL!!!!!"  All I could think of was that I was 1 stage away from terminal (translated in my brain as being dead)

Thank God my BFF was with me to hold my hand....I couldn't breathe ...THIS was officially the second worst thing that ever happened to me...(the first is a whole 'nother monologue)

Thankfully there was an RPN there to help...she held my hand, and rubbed my back and got me a pill to calm me down.  Once I could breathe again......the first question I had was...."How do I tell my estranged 17 year old daughter that there was a pretty good chance I was gonna die?" (she had been through so much losing all of her grandparents in the space of 2 years...the last one the same day we were in a major car accident)

That wonderful RPN (Nurse RedPants I call her) explained to me that I wasn't going to die...but to think of the treatments of 1) the surgery got all the cancer they could find and that all the cancer cells appeared to be contained-meaning the didn't find anything outside of the tumors) and 2) the chemo would be the mop that cleans up any of the "little buggers" that might have gotten away and 3) the radiation was like the disinfectant spray.  She has a way with words, Nurse RedPants does!

Well that was 10 months ago...my CT scan showed no new abnormalities (which made me giggle a little....if only my "abnormalities" showed up on a CT scan haahaa)
March 23/2016-Day 1 of 1826-the magical 5 year mark...I have nerve damage and issues associated with the chemo drugs...but that's OK.....cause I got to tell my kid I wasn't't going to die (not yet anyway)

I'm glad I found this site...I haven't really connected with anyone other than my family members who've lost their people to cancer...so Thanks for having this place to pour out my story and to be able to see that there are so many other people who are as scared and lost and confused as I am

Cheers
Jen

Posted by Kayjay on Sep 9, 2016 11:42 am

I was told yesterday that I had Uterus cancer this doctor was very blunt than said she would send all my files to another doctor than said sorry and than bye and walked out the door?  I sat there for a few moments well all this sunk in? I still don't really know what just happened or what is going to happen I guess I sit and wait for some other doctor to call me?

Posted by Fergies on Mar 16, 2017 6:57 pm

My first question was how is this possible? I took steps to insure that I had a healthy colon by having a colonoscopy three years earlier. At this colonoscopy I was told they removed one small polyp and the lab found it to be harmless. The Doctor told me that I would not need to be tested for another 10 years. Three years later I have a full blown tumor that is bleeding? Did he miss something?