Septic shock and cancer

Septic shock and cancer

Posted by CB77 on Oct 14, 2020 8:59 pm

My dad has been fighting pancreatic cancer for 2.5 years. 6 weeks ago he went to the hospital in septic shock and now is bed bound and can’t get up. I’m frustrated because 3 days before he went into the hospital his doctor asked him if he wanted to be admitted for some TLC as he didn’t look well... He wouldn’t choose to admit himself. Anyways, he is unable to sit up in bed, he has pressure sores and I feel like is loosing hope. I don’t know where to turn as we feel like the doctors are almost giving up on him. He wants to get up but doesn’t have the strength. It’s not the cancer that has done this it’s the septic shock. Anyways if anyone has any tips or suggestions of anything???? 
thank you

Re: Septic shock and cancer

Posted by Wendy Tea on Oct 14, 2020 11:27 pm

CB77‍  Welcome.  I am sorry your dad is struggling.  Are you working with the oncologist,  the surgeon,  or the family doctor or the entire team? Is there someone new you can reach out to and see if they can do more? Gentle requests for extra help might work. Please don't give up. Let me know what happens. 

Healing takes time and opportunity. Wendy Tea

Posted by Laika57 on Oct 15, 2020 6:09 pm

CB77‍ it's a long road. Hubby was septic and bundles of antibiotics later, they tell me he is clear of infection, nevermind he isn't capable of getting out of bed by himself anymore... they were going to send him home, but another infection, and now living circumstances have prevented that. (Thank goodness)
there are beds with alternating inflating air cushions that prevent sores.
At this point i would ask if rehab is an option (apparently hubby isn't mentally capable enough to qualify, but they wouldn't tell me that until i finally had a face to face with his doctor (fat chance with current visiting restrictions...))...
good luck!
Have you hugged your dog today?

Posted by CB77 on Oct 15, 2020 10:20 pm

We’ve only been dealing with the doctors at the hospital right now. Originally they said he’d be moving to rehab but now they say because he isn’t up and moving on his own rehab isn’t an option. I guess I’m just feeling frustrated that it seems like nothing can be done for him. We didn’t really know what to expect from septic shock and how long recovery would take. We just assumed that once the infection was under control things would get better.