Being sick months after chemo - anyone had this

Being sick months after chemo - anyone had this

Posted by gcomputes on Sep 14, 2020 10:45 am

Hello all,
My sister has been off chemo for about three months now. She is being sick almost every night - always in the evening and she has lost about 30 lbs in 2 months. She gets chills as well. The doctor said at first it might be a virus but now they have no idea why she is still being sick. I’m terrified that they are missing something? Has anyone had these symptoms after chemo? She has had both MRI and CAT scan and they show the cancer in pancreas has shrunk so it doesn’t even show. They did say cancer in lymph nodes has gone from 1.3 to 1.7. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks 

Re: Being sick months after chemo - anyone had this

Posted by Shawrett on Sep 15, 2020 8:38 am

Hi gcomputes‍ 
Im not sure if this will help; but I have pancreatic cancer, which was surgically removed. I underwent 5 months of chemo and then they switched the chemo as they have found some in the liver. After switching my chemo, I got a side effect (neuropathy) which I told the doctors about. He said it was not the new chemo but a side effect from the last chemo and that it can sometimes take a month or more for it to come out of your system.

So this may be a side effect but not showing up till later you could ask the doctor if that’s a possibility. I hope that she’s OK. Ask as many questions as you can and explain to them what is happening in detail. I’ve had to push with my brothers help with the doctors to get answers.

Jo

Posted by Lacey_Moderator on Sep 15, 2020 9:22 am

gcomputes‍ 

What does the Doctor recommend she do? Will she have follow ups with them? Can you get a second opinion?

If you are still concerned it might be helpful to continue to advocate to find an answer. 

Thinking of you,
Lacey

Posted by gcomputes on Sep 15, 2020 11:31 am

Thanks for the replies. The dr said they have no idea why she is being sick.... She is to call in a few days and see how it is. I was just wondering if others had gone through this.

Posted by Lacey_Moderator on Sep 15, 2020 11:57 am

gcomputes‍ 

I hope she gets some relief soon. 

Thinking of you both,
Lacey

Posted by gcomputes on Oct 6, 2020 6:02 pm

As I suspected the cancer is back - there is a bigger mass in the pancreas..  They are doing a scope of the digestive system leading to her pancreas tomorrow. She starts chemo next Tuesday. We plan on having a quiet Thanksgiving lunch for her. She is mentioning that she wants her granddaughter to have her rings..... This is so hard to go through. I am grateful to have a place to reach out to.

Posted by Brighty on Oct 6, 2020 6:10 pm

I'm so sorry gcomputes‍ .  My heart goes out to you.   Sending  you virtual hugs.
Help is out there. All you have to do is reach out.

Posted by Lianne_Moderator on Oct 6, 2020 7:13 pm

gcomputes‍ 

I am sorry to hear about your sister's latest update.  I am sure it is difficult to hear her talking about giving things away too.  Glad you know that you have a safe space here and we will support you in any way we can. Please continue to reach out as you need.

Hugs

Lianne

Posted by gcomputes on Oct 6, 2020 8:08 pm

Thanks 

Posted by Cynthia Mac on Oct 8, 2020 8:18 am

gcomputes‍ , I’m sorry to hear about your sister, and I wish that each of you are able to find your peace in this. It is hard.

As much as you are able, try to help your sister when she starts to express her wishes in this manner. If you are able to make notes for her that she can sign and date, or if you can do a recording of her words, it could be helpful to the family in the future.
“When the root is deep, there is no reason to fear the wind.” - Japanese saying

Posted by gcomputes on Oct 8, 2020 9:04 am

Hi Cynthia,
A recording is a great idea. Her grandchildren - twins will turn 4 in December and being able to hear her voice would be good for them as they get older. 
Thanks Gloria