Cellulitus on legs and feet - has anyone had this wth cancer?

Cellulitus on legs and feet - has anyone had this wth cancer?

Posted by gcomputes on Apr 2, 2020 5:34 pm

Hello,
I hope everyone is staying at home and safe. My sister is having problems with cellulitus on her legs and feet. She has been on antibiotics for over three weeks and now they are trying antibiotics through iv. With the covid 19 she is refusing to get it done at the hospital. They are doing home care.She is finding this very painful and this week she wasn't able to have her chemo because of the infection. Has anyone experienced this?
Thanks Gloria

Re: Cellulitus on legs and feet - has anyone had this wth cancer?

Posted by MCoaster on Apr 2, 2020 8:34 pm

gcomputes‍    Hi Gloria.   Left a couple of contacts you might try on your Public Wall.   Good idea to post here though as you reach more members.
Margaret

Posted by WestCoastSailor on Apr 2, 2020 10:01 pm

gcomputes‍ 

Hey Gloria, it's been awhile. Sorry to hear that there are complications in the time of Covid. As I recall your sister's case is really complicated by a number of factors. There are side effects from treatments that can cause swelling and make it difficult to manage. Are the doctors well aware of the complexity of her case, ie that she is an oncology patient as well?

This might be an occasion to make sure that there is a pharmacist involved in the case management to help cross-reference drug interactions. Sometimes internists managing an infection aren't communicating with the oncologist who is managing the cancer.

Home care nurses are pretty good at sorting this out. The few that I'm acquainted with are being run off their feet trying to keep up with the demand for out of hospital services. It's another example of shortage of resources. So make sure that the nurse knows about the various other things that are going on.

There may be other things the nurse can suggest  to relieve pain and speed recovery- movement, massage, elevation of limbs. Check with her.

Let us know how things turn out.

Angus
My story: http://journey.anguspratt.ca

Posted by gcomputes on Apr 3, 2020 9:03 am

Hi Margaret and Angus, MCoasterWestCoastSailor‍ 
Thanks for answering. We will see how the iv treatments work. She is to go for chemo next week if the infection is getting better. Her voice seems really hoarse and she tells me she has a cold. It could be from smoking which she is doing even more these days.Her sons don't want her going out at all so she is just by herself. She had just given up her car and was starting to take the town bus which at least got her out. Now the boys don't want her even doing that. This is a crazy time to go through with the covid, then add the cancer on top..