+ Reply
Second re excision to clear margins
Mona123
9 Posts

I was diagnosed with a small grade 1 stage 1 invasive ductal carcinoma in October, had a lumpectomy in November. Tumour had grown a twin in the meantime (multi focal), and almost doubled in size. Pathology came back with positive margins from a large ductal carcinoma insitu that we didn’t know about. Went back for a re-excision after Christmas. Margins are still not clear-uggh! I was given a choice of another re-excision or mastectomy. I chose the re-excision next week…smaller procedure and faster recovery, and I’m hoping that third time’s the charm. If it comes back positive again (!), then I’ll get a mastectomy. Anybody else have a similar story? This is sure hard on my mental health!

2 Replies
Theduck
12 Posts

@Mona123
Hi Mona. My story is similar to yours. I had a knee replacement in 2020 and had a biopsy on my left breast just before the surgery. Found out I had dcis and had my first lumpectomy a month later. Biopsy on mass showed more dcis spread out like grains of sand. Another biopsy on the breast in January showed more dcis. In February I had a triple lumpectomy (yes triple). Biopsy on those showed a miniscule spot of invasive ducal carcinoma. Enough was enough and I had a mastectomy soon after. I opted for reconstruction with a reduction on the other side at the same time. The expander was very uncomfortable but I got my implant in February last year. Much more comfortable even if I have somewhat lopsided breasts. My husband got diagnosed with prostate cancer as soon as I was recovered so my journey with cancer continues. You will get through this whatever you decide. Stay positive.

Mona123
9 Posts

@Theduck sounds like you’ve been through so much already! Sending positive vibes for your husband. Thank you for your kind words. Such difficult decisions. If this third one doesn’t work, I’ll be opting for mastectomy too. As you said, enough is enough.

+ Reply