+ Reply
ER+ Breast and Thyroid cancers
mitymite
40 Posts

Hi there, looking to connect with anyone who had ER+ Breast Cancer and then subsequently diagnosed with Thyroid Cancer (or Thyroid first, then Breast cancer).

Thanks in advance and hope everyone is having a good day :)

7 Replies

@mitymite
Hello. I did a quick search and found that @TR2 has listed possibly having both. They may not have been on the site for a bit but hopefully if they see this they can share their experience. Is there something in particular you are wanting to know about?

Lianne

mitymite
40 Posts

thanks @Lianne_Moderator mainly I am wondering how common this is, as the data do point to increase (1.5 - 2x) risk for one cancer after that other, if estrogen receptor positive.

Dx stage 1 ER/PR+ ductal carcinoma in 2018, now waiting results on highly suspicious thyroid lump. (TIRADS 4c)

Essjay
2100 Posts

@mitymite I found this paper which looks useful

@mitymite
I understand. I personally knew of one person who had both but I am not in touch anymore. As for myself, I had breast cancer in 2010 and have had my thyroid being monitored the last 2 years of a “potential” tumour

Lianne

mitymite
40 Posts

thank you @Essjay I have also seen that paper. :)

mitymite
40 Posts

@Lianne_Moderator it sounds like a similar situation.

Apparently the smaller thyroid nodules are even more difficult to biopsy (than breast nodules) to get a reliable diagnosis. So I am waiting for MRI or repeat u/s in 6 months, whichever comes first within our stressed-out health system.

I guess what I'm really interested in is the estrogenic effects of tamoxifen, which is blocked in the breast while on that drug, but could contribute to thyroid cancers.

@mitymite

Yes - this is why I have not had a biopsy yet - I was told the needle point would be larger than the suspected tumour.

Your last note might best be explained by your oncologist but you could try reaching out to our cancer information helpline at 1-888-939-3333 and see if they have that kind of information.

Lianne

+ Reply