+ Reply
Article - Vaginal Estrogen Therapy May Increase Risk of Recurrence in Breast Cancer Patients Treated With Aromatase Inhibitors
Runner Girl
2894 Posts

Those of us on AI's know that they dry us out. Now there is evidence that vaginal estrogen therapy may increase our risk of recurrence.

“In patients treated with VET and adjuvant AIs, we observed an increased risk of recurrence but not mortality. For early-stage BC patients receiving adjuvant AIs, vaginal estrogen therapy should be used with caution.”

https://www.cancertherapyadvisor.com/home/cancer-topics/breast-cancer/breast-cancer-recurrence-vaginal-estrogen-therapy-aromatase-inhibitors/

5 Replies
Mosi
215 Posts

@Runner Girl
Another great article giving us food for thought. I remember being told a year ago that even with BC prevalent in our family VET would not be a problem for me. I hesitated filling the Rx and within weeks found my lump.

BellaBlue
45 Posts

@Runner Girl
Thank you for the article. I only wish that the researchers would further differentiate their findings by the B

BellaBlue
45 Posts

@Runner Girl
oops accidentally hit the post button 😂. I wish they would differentiate their findings by bc type and treatment. They list this in the characteristics of the patients but not the results. It is possible that the women who experienced recurrence had a higher risk of recurrence regardless of the use of VET. It does show an increased risk with AIs over other hormonal treatments I’m not disputing that, but suggesting differences in lifestyle and diet may play a role and not consider the grade, size, or dispersion of the tumour seems odd to me.

Runner Girl
2894 Posts

@BellaBlue
I think what the point of the researchers is that if you are ER+ and you are taking AI's you probably shouldn't be using VET. It makes sense because the whole point of taking an AI when you are ER+ is to get the estrogen out of your body so adding even just a little bit seems risky.

Essjay
2051 Posts

@Runner Girl @BellaBlue so many unknowns in this journey and new knowledge coming all the time for example, new tests that can better predict the risk of recurrence in hormone positive breast cancer are just becoming available. These are the kinds of things that will help with the decision making, and help More women have a better quality of life.

I use VET - for bladder and vaginal health and because without it I wouldn't have a sex life with my partner. We tried all the lubricants and they just didn’t cut it for me. My cancer was triple negative and my risk of recurrence is 25% and of course a recurrence can be different hormone status. I’m not on AIs so that obviously makes a difference, but I found a gynaecologist who has experience of treating breast cancer patients (my oncologist recommended her) And we had an informed discussion about the risks and benefits. And that’s the important point - are there more benefits than risks? Everyone is different, one size doesn’t fit all.

Thanks so much for sharing xx

+ Reply