+ Reply
custom made breast prosthesis?
P.River
4 Posts
I can't find a breast prosthesis match in Calgary. Had a terrible experience at Compassionate Beauty, where they claimed there were no other options than the amoena brand they carry and persuaded me to buy a prosthesis in a different size and shape than my remaining breast, which I will never use. I am now looking into a custom made option and found several companies in Toronto. Does anyone have good or bad experiences re: custom made prostheses to share? Can you recommend a company in Toronto or out West?
5 Replies
Mosi
117 Posts

@P.River I had a difficult visit to this Calgary business as well and went online. I phoned several companies because I knew I would be a tough fit. I have lost weight and want to gain it back so I almost needed a prosthetist that would change with me. Or really inexpensive ones that I could order in more than one size. Mastectomy Lingerie in Hamilton was incredibly helpful. I was so excited when I got boobs in the mail. Foam boobs where I could adjust the stuffing, silicone boobs, boobs with beads in them for swimming. It was really a very happy event in what should have been a depressing chore. Good luck with your search.

S2020
1085 Posts

@P.River & @Mosi (Tagging isn’t working for me again so I hope you still see this.)

Until you find prosthetics that are comfortable and suitable, I wanted to mention Knitted Knockers Canada, a volunteer group that provides knitted or crocheted inserts for your bras.

https://knittedknockerscanada.com

I know women who have been very happy with the fit and comfort of these free inserts.

Mosi
117 Posts

@S2020 Thank you for that suggestion. I have heard the weight of the prosthetic is many womens’ concerns so that seems a great alternative. Love the name knitted knockers 😁

P.River
4 Posts

Thanks. I am sorry that you too had a difficult experience at the store in Calgary, but glad you found a solution. I am thinking of flying to Toronto to have a breast made. Knitted knockers are better than nothing, but I would like a long-term solution that looks and feels more like a breast. I like the idea that the custom made ones are shaped to the chest wall and scar site too and have nipples. It would be very expensive and there are no guarantees that they work better, just my wish to have faith, which renders me vulnerable. So, Im trying to draw on others' experience.

Thewasp
57 Posts

@S2020

im a huge fan of my knitted knocker. I got an amoena prosthetic breast and I’m not thrilled with it. It’s too hot even though I got one of the newer models with cooling gel. I mostly use the kk. Great group of volunteers who knit them.

+ Reply