+ Reply
hysterectomy vs ovary removal
sun46
96 Posts
am scheduled for ovary removal in the middle of June. My cancer is estrogen driven so wondering on peoples thoughts on a hysterectomy vs just the ovary removed. Are there markers or things or tests to see invite benefical. Can't remember what onco said but I read that a hysterectomy will reduce cancer reoccurrence. or whatever. thoughts?
3 Replies
JustJan
1629 Posts

@sun46 neither my triple negative breast or ovarian cancers were estrogen/progesterone driven. When my ovarian cancer was discovered there was no debate that everything needed to go. When they are removing you ovaries are they also removing the Fallopian tubes? Most ovarian cancer starts in the Fallopian tubes and it is becoming the standard of care to remove them as well. My understanding that the estrogen blockers have the potential to cause uterine cancer so having a full hysterectomy would remove that risk. Your gyne oncologist is the best person to give you all the pros and cons of either scenario In your specific case.

sun46
96 Posts

@JustJan thank you for your response. i will ask my onc next appt.

P.River
4 Posts

I chose a total hysterectomy (uteris, servix, fallopian tubes, and ovaries) and am now 4 weeks out from surgery and feeling great. My cancer is highly estrogen receptive and I was left with a positive margin after my mastectomy, so I went for the most effective method for blocking estrogen and my cancer's ability to grow: removed ovaries and an aromatase inhibitor for postmenopausal women. I am 47, so closing in on that part of life anyhow. Being on the inhibitor significantly increases the risk of endometrial and ovarian cancer and I had fibroids and a history of cervical cell changes too, so the decision was clear to me. I prepared with pelvic floor physio and attend to that post-op too. The result is great, I feel lighter and more comfortable now. The first week of healing is rough, so make sure you have support for 1-2 weeks if you go for a full hysterectomy.

+ Reply