+ Reply
muga scan
sun46
82 Posts
Anything to this?

as well, I had an injection in Saturday and since then finding my hands are shaky or trembling thruout the day. I got a call jnto nurses line but anyone experience this.
14 Replies

@sun46 Are you saying that since getting the injection for the Muga scan, you have been having shaky hands? Or is the injection for something else?

I've had MUGA scan's and had no problem with the scan itself. Administering the radioactive dye can be done 2 ways. First way is to inject the dye directly into the vein and wait the appropriate amount of time before getting the MUGA. Second way (which was the only way that worked for me) is to remove some of my blood and mix the dye in the syringe, wait the appropriate of time and then inject the blood/dye into my vein. The first 2 times I had the MUGA done I had to go back and get it redone.

Essjay
1955 Posts

@sun46 the MUGA was easy…an injection of radioactive tracer a couple of hours beforehand and then you lie on the bed while the machine moves around you. I nearly fell asleep (I was exhausted with anxiety)…the tracer is out of your body within 24-48 hours…

Hope you get a call back xx

sun46
82 Posts

@Buffythevampire, got the muga scan this week, after 1 round of chemo, do they yo these after each round? i had an an injection for wbc on Saturday and had trembling hands since then as it was a steroid and if it affect my bp as well. awaiting a call from tge nurses line, that's all.

Mammabear
292 Posts

I remember falling asleep in a muga and they stopped it because my heart rate dropped so low they thought there was a problem.

Never had shaking hands after.

Can't remember how often I had a muga, not every treatment but perhaps every few months.

I did also go across the border for gas when I was radioactive (forgot) and don't recommend it. I set off all 4 lanes at Pt Roberts crossing (BC) and had to go inside while they scanned my car and then they got out the geiger counter and showed the ‘new guy’ how to use it. Right out of a movie where I could hear it going off as they were approaching me down the hall. I thought - the hospital said I was ‘safe to be around’ but I didn't feel very safe as it was making a racket indicating I was indeed radioactive.

Hang in there. This too shall pass.

@sun46 No the MUGA's do not get done after every treatment. They did one before I had any Herceptin to find out what my heart looked like without any of this medication. Then I think it was done every few months. My heart contraction changed slightly but not enough for them to delay Herceptin.

The injection that you are talking about, is it Grastofil? It's to help prevent infection and not fun giving yourself an injection.

elle29
1207 Posts

Hi Buffy Really they took some of your blood and mixed this with radioactive fluid ?Its sounds unheard of and bizarre for a clinical medical environment ?

elle29
1207 Posts

I had this done b4 surgery with radio active fluid too about 30 minutes . It’s to check your heart ! Mine was strong . So they are checking your heart after each chemo treatment to see what ?

A) the MUGA is to check your heart muscle system function ?

• u have a pre-existing heart ❤️ condition ?
  • you are living with a weak heart ?
  • or protocol , side effects indicate this to be done
supersu
1102 Posts

elle29:

Hi Buffy Really they took some of your blood and mixed this with radioactive fluid ?Its sounds unheard of and bizarre for a clinical medical environment ?

@elle29 it really really does sound rather strange, doesn't it!?

@Buffythevampire is exactly right. sometimes a better ‘tag’ is made when the sample is taken from the body, and then reintroduced after the lab does its thing.

there are a few procedures in nuclear medicine that involve this type of protocol!
I always wonder, who was the smart cookie that figured all this stuff out. ha ha

cheers
su

#nuclearmedicine #muga #heartfunction #chemo

@elle29 I think the most common method is just to inject the radioactive dye into your vein. But in my case they didn't get a clear picture and had to do it the other way. Take blood out of me with a syringe and put the radioactive material into the syringe. Wait for it to mix then inject the blood/dye back into my arm.

elle29
1207 Posts

Yah I have to reread this post again about mixing live blood with ? Tag what is meant by that . I never even deciphered what tracer was or marker was implanted for what presurgery ?

elle29
1207 Posts

Thnx Buffy for explaination how to be tagged or marked . Finding out through my younger friends there in certain illness ongoing in Sweden Russian etc with forth wave of vax given to me . However for his Apt. being cooped to stay in.& cooped up .

Calling perhaps needed now or. Ke'Afternot know fromt of the sink, or here in space trying to blow outdoor kept new in. Doing this equipped not my times being in doing

SMAC
7 Posts

I used to be a nuclear medicine technologit’s (person who performs the mUGA). It should not be the cee as use of your symptoms

SMAC
7 Posts

Yes- this plies to all nuclear medicine procedures, including mUGA and bone scans. if you do need to cross the border a sort period after the test, the clinic can give you a note.

SMAC
7 Posts

It’s very common practice. There are didferent ways To do it. Sometimes they draw the blood sample and take label the blood cells with the tracer outside of the body and then re-inject, sometimes they give an injection to prepare the blood cells and then 15 minutes later inject the radioactive tracer into the bloodstream. It all depends on the protocol at the facility

Tracer is the radio active component in the injection. It can only see the blood and where it travels, so you can’ t see muscle unless. they are looking at your ejection fraction or more specifically hoe well your left ventricle is pumping blood to the rest your body. This is done Firstly,to make sure your heart is strong enough to withstand chemo in the first place and two to make sure that after you’ve started receiving chemo that there’s no changes to your heart function

+ Reply