+ Reply
zoledronic acid
Aud
8 Posts
Anyone have any input on this drug or similar for bones while taking letrosole? I’m nervous of yet another drug .
14 Replies
Runner Girl
2449 Posts

Hello @Aud

I'm going to tag @Essjay who has experience with the Zoledronic Acid.

Runner Girl

jocrawford
11 Posts

I have my last Zometa injection on Jan 26. I'm also on Letrozole (coming up on my 3rd year of what will be 10). I would usually feel lousy a few hours after the injection and the next day. Kind of like having the flu. It only ever lasted about a day. I hope your reaction to Zometa will be mild too.

Essjay
1731 Posts

@aud I only tolerated 3 doses of zoledronic acid due to side effects. I’m not on an AI though.

I believe @Kims1961 is on both and may be able to share her experience

Kims1961
2188 Posts

@Aud Great question - thanks @Essjay for the tag.

Thankfully I found the zoledronic acid treatments not that hard to manage. They were every 6 months, with minor side effects for me ( mild bone aches/headache - Tylenol managed them well)

Now Letrozole was another story for me! I was on and off it for a year - until I was just switched to Tamoxifen. I tried to manage Letrozole but the side effects were too challenging.

How is the Letrozole for you?

Sending you positive energies! Kim

Aud
8 Posts

I’ve only been on the Letrosole for 2 months. Not too bad yet, hot flashes occasionally. Thanks for your experiences.

Hellen529
20 Posts

I’ve been on anastrozole for almost six months with no side effects and I’ve had one zoledronic acid infusion again with no side effects. Hope this helps. Good luck 😉

Viva
41 Posts

I have been on Letrozole for 2 months with minimal side effects. Over half done my radiation treatments right now. No problems there at all - yet. I do start the Z acid in a few weeks so this post is of help to me too. I was sent to a Dentist the other day in preparation of the Z acid. Which I found very confusing as I was just at my own dentist for a cleaning and check up. I am so grateful I did. I guess your jaw bone cannot be disturbed once on the Z acid. You can have fillings but no extractions. Anyway I had a molar pulled that had been annoying me but my own dentist had said to leave it. It was a very good decision to have it removed and am so thankful I went. Now I’m ready for Z acid every 3 months for 2 years.

L.A.R.K.
4 Posts

I have not personally experienced taking the drug Zometa, but online they claim it is administered by IV every 6 mos. for 3-5 years. My dr. is supposed to discuss me having this treatment. It sounds really good about what I have read, but it is yet another drug my oncology dr. may prescribe for me if I agree to take it.

Hezz
102 Posts

I've been on Anastrazole for 2 years (of 7-10) and had 3 Zometa infusions with a 4th coming up soon. The first infusion I got very dizzy (prob due to low blood sugar) so they don't infuse quite so quickly anymore to be on the safe size. I often feel a bit flu-ish the rest of the day and the next day. Nothing too bad at all. Good luck with it! If you can manage the AI and the infusions it's a statistically good plan!

Hezz :)

@Aud

I am taking both Zoledronic Acid and Letrozole currently. I was very tired and had joint pain when I first started Letrozole but now my body’s got used to it and feeling a lot better.

i only had one infusion of Zoledronic Acid so far. A friend of mine who’s also on it suggested I ask the nurses to administer it slow (twice the time) and I felt fine during the infusion and for the rest of the day. However, I woke up in the middle of the night with chills and fever. It knocked me right out for a day. I even went to get COVID tested because the symptoms were pretty bad- worse than when I was doing chemo. I am hoping it’s just a one off since I am scheduled to be on it for 2 years. The thing thing is it only lasted a day. :-)

hope it all goes well for you!

MBC
4 Posts

I had my first zelodronic acid infusion on January 13, started Letrozole on the 14th and Ribociclib on the 18th.

So far, so good. No side effects. Maybe it’s too soon to tell though.

I hope you have a similar experience.

Shora
24 Posts

Hi @Aud

I had my first treatment of zoledronic acid in November, which I'm scheduled to have every 6 months for 3 years.

The evening of the treatment I had a bit of a headache but it didn't last long. I was fine until 4 days later when I got clobbered with flu-like symptoms, which apparently isn't uncommon. I had a low grade fever and all my joints ached, especially in my hands, and I was on the couch under a blanket for a few days.

I told my oncologist about this and he suggested that I double up on my calcium supplements for four days before my next treatment and four days after. Hopefully that will help prevent it next time.

Good luck!

Shorra

Aud
8 Posts
Sounds like everyone has a slightly different outcome with this. After a lengthy discussion with my oncologist nurse practitioner, I decided to not go ahead with it. I’ve done everything else, surgery, chemo, radiation, hormones, and this seemed like the risks outweighed the benefits for me. This may not be everyone’s case I know. I feel good about my decision and if it turns out to be a mistake later, I’m ok. I just want to start back living with as few side effects as possible. Best to everyone on your journey.

@Aud Thanks for sharing your decision with us. I'm glad to hear you consulted with your health care team and made the best choice for you.

All the best,

Lacey

+ Reply