+ Reply
Herceptin
Thewasp
6 Posts

Hi everyone

i posted a few weeks ago but was waiting for my follow up surgery appointment to post more. I had a left mastectomy last month and after a few issues , I’m healing up nicely. My surgeon told me that I’m ER+ and HER2. He told me the tumour was 3 cm and the margins were clean. There we’re no signs of cancer cells in the sentinel node. He was very positive about my prognosis with chemo and Herceptin. My question….is Herceptin covered by OHIP? It isn’t covered by my retirement benefits.

Thank you to all who originally reached out to me. I’ll figure this tagging out.

8 Replies
Runner Girl
2320 Posts

@Thewasp

I did a quick search and it seems you meet the criteria for having Herceptin in Ontario. You might want to call the cancer care line at 1-888-939-3934 and ask them the question. I'm in Alberta and I had no issues having Herceptin for my treatment. But each province handles it differently.

Runner Girl

Thewasp
6 Posts

@Runner Girl thanks for getting back to me. I’ll contact them tomorrow.

DarleneH
20 Posts

Hi @Thewasp ,I am on Herceptin and live on Ontario and yes it is fully covered by OHIP. i have experienced no side effects with Herceptin. You will likely have to take it for 18 months once you start chemo.

Mee
68 Posts

Hi @Thewasp ,

Like @DarleneH stated, Herceptin is fully covered by OHIP. I also live in Ontario, am a senior, and have 11 Herceptin IVs so far (of 18 every third week) the first 6 were combined with chemo (thank goodness that's finished with!!!). No side effects from the Herceptin! Hang in there!

Thewasp
6 Posts

@DarleneH……thanks . That’s comforting to know. I’m waiting for my oncology consult. My surgeon says that all the people with my cancer and type, are on Herceptin at some point.

Thewasp
6 Posts

Thanks @Mee. I’m nervous about starting chemo and what it will be like. But it’s good to know the Herceptin is covered.

Mee
68 Posts

Hi @Thewasp ,

Not going to lie - the chemo was very challenging and I'm so glad that that portion of the program is finished for me. There are lots of posts on this forum about how to manage the side effects of chemo. The only thing I will add is to be kind to yourself and listen to your body. If you are tired, rest and if you have a bit more energy, then do something but don't overextend yourself. Take it one day (or sometimes even one minute) at a time, and you will get through this too!!! We don't know how strong we are until we are confronted with a challenge. You are strong! You will survive!

Thewasp
6 Posts

@Mee…thank you for this. I was feeling overwhelmed today with what I know will be difficult times ahead. But everyone here is making me feel that i can do this. I meet my oncologist is December. I have an echo in a week. I think it’s because I’ll be on Herceptin and I’ll need my cardiac function monitored. anyways it’s scary but I’ll get through it.

+ Reply