+ Reply
Hematoma
BellaBlue
8 Posts
Hi everyone! I'm new here and had my lumpectomy early April. I had some significant bruising, enough that the home nurse suggested I go to the ER. My breast was huge like a cantaloupe, even though they took out two 9 cm portions. My surgeon advised me to keep it still. The bruising is healing slowly and it has reduced in size somewhat, but it is still larger than my other breast. When I do things like chores it swells a little bit. Did anyone else have swelling that lasted this long?
10 Replies
BellaBlue‍ I don't remember if I had any swelling when I had my lumpectomy but I do remember the bruise. Initially I had a lumpectomy then had a mastectomy (same breast). The bruise was bigger with the lumpectomy then the mastectomy.
County Girl
27 Posts
BellaBlue‍ i had a lumpectomy exactly a year ago today. I had a 3 cm lump removed. I had a huge hematoma after surgery. The surgeon explained that I had more blood in my breast than they expected so I bleed much more than normal which caused the huge hematoma. The breast was extremely bruised and much larger than normal. I had to go to the surgeon weekly for a few weeks and he drained blood from it. He explained that he didn’t put a drain on it because if it drained too quickly when it healed totally the breast would have a huge dent in it where the lump was. It took a couple of months for the bruising and swelling to go down. A year later the breast is much smaller than my other one but it’s healed very well. I still have scar tissue in the breast that has shown up on MRI’s which they have checked with ultrasound after. Today I’m going for a mammogram and I’m sure they will be concerned about this scar tissue and they probably will do another ultrasound to check it to ensure it stays the same size or gets smaller. Time will heal the breast. Hope this helps.
BellaBlue
8 Posts
Thank you County Girl‍ My surgeon would not drain it because of the risk of infection. I'm glad to hear that it will eventually be alright, Although with two 9 cm sections removed, I expect it will be much much smaller or non existent. I wonder why didn't they just remove it so I could avoid radiation?????
chrys21
119 Posts
Hi BellaBlue
i also had a large lumpectomy - and significant swelling and bruising afterwards. I couldn’t fit into any of my bras for a few weeks at least and then it started to go down.
Then I got cording which I had to go to physio for. Supposed to be less common with lumpectomy but I had a big lumpectomy. I’m not sure if it was the physio or my own home stretching that got that under control but it subsided after a few weeks.
Now I’m in radiation and on Day 1 I began swelling - back to my original pre-surgery breast size at this point! The doctor said it was a breast infection. A week of antibiotics with no change so now they are saying it appears I’m more sensitive than average to the effects of radiation.
I also had a large part of my breast removed. I’m a B cup and had 80x70x24 mm section removed.
A few times since surgery I’ve wondered if I should have waited for a mastectomy and still wonder if it might be better for me to go back and have a completion mastectomy. I was told this was an option.
I’m hoping things will settle down after radiation.
Best of luck!
County Girl
27 Posts
BellaBlue‍ i also wondered sometimes why I didn’t go for the mastectomy when I had to make the decision. When I had to decide between lumpectomy or mastectomy it was last year during the beginning of the pandemic in a lockdown. I wasn’t able to talk to anyone about options other than my surgeon and he would only give me the pros and cons from a surgery prospective and he wouldn’t recommend one over the other. I had to rely on the internet for women’s perspective of which option to choose. I realized I wasn’t ready for a mastectomy so I chose breast conservation surgery (lumpectomy). I have large breasts and always wanted breast reduction so now I got my wish on one side. Lol. I have been referred to a plastic surgeon to have the other one reduced to match my new one. I really like the size of my new one so I think I’ll be happy when it’s all done. I am not planning on it but if I was to have a reoccurrence I will opt for double mastectomy. I hate being lopsided. lol. Radiation was easy with no problems, you’ll probably be the same. Positive thinking goes a long way.
Look to the future and be happy with the decision you made. You got this. 😀
BellaBlue
8 Posts
Hi chrys21

Oh no! I hope you will be alright, all of this is hard enough without complications added to the mix!
What is cording? I still have some hard spots, but they feel more like lumps under where the bruising was the worst; I'm hoping they will soften up.
chrys21
119 Posts
Hi BellaBlue

here is a good link from Alberta health that describes cording. I wasn’t told about this after surgery but knew about it from this site so I recognized the signs. Regular stretching cleared it up.

https://www.albertahealthservices.ca/assets/info/cca/if-cca-axillary-web-syndrome.pdf
BellaBlue
8 Posts
Thank you chrys21‍ , I will watch out for that!
JustJan
740 Posts
BellaBlue‍ I hope you are finding the swelling starting to lessen and that you are feeling more comfortable.
Jomilks
33 Posts
Sounds like hematoma are more common than I thought! I had a partial mastectomy on the breast that tried to kill me and balancing surgery on the other. I developed a hematoma and infection on the cancer side. Actually thought it was just an infection until my plastic surgeon squeezed my breast and all this blood came pouring out. Thought my poor husband was going to pass out. All this to say, the cancer side was bigger than the other for awhile. Then had radiation and now it’s the other way around!

I also developed cording and moderate lymphedema and was referred to a physiotherapist. She showed me how to do lymphatic massage and massage on the scar tissue. Made a huge difference for me.

Wishing you all the best.
+ Reply