+ Reply
PT2N1a
Cathyb1
22 Posts
Hi all

Can anyone help me out here.
I had an appointment last week with my oncologist . He showed up 2 hours late and rushed me.
he basically said your getting 6 rounds of chemotherapy and sign this.
I have so many questions, I meet him again March 4th. And I will refuse to leave until I have more answers
But I want to do some research here
can anyone help with with the subject line
What stage is my cancer etc

thanks
11 Replies
chrys21
67 Posts
Cathyb1
I’m sorry you experienced this and I know how you feel. This was my experience at my surgery follow up - I had a 4 min appt. I was also just given a copy of my pathology report and was told there wasn’t time to discuss it.
Every appt I had with my surgeon felt rushed. I haven’t felt seen or heard through this process - though I do feel I received excellent care with diagnostics, biopsy and the surgery itself.
I am really hoping things are different with the radiation and medical oncologist. I’m sorry I can’t help you with your question, just wanted to express empathy.
Cathyb1
22 Posts
chrys21
Thank You
It really is such a worrying time and I hoped we would have a little compassion from doctors.
My oncologist made me feel like I was just another number, to him I am but I really needed more time.
I am seriously debating if I will even have chemotherapy
the effects on my body are scary
Hopefully we will both have better appointments in the future
Take Care
Carhy
Catherine6666
123 Posts
Cathyb1

Did you get copy of pathological report? If you want ladies to help, I think you need to post key info in the report, so ladies with similar situation can share their experiences.
Cathyb1
22 Posts
Catherine6666

Hi
Yes I have my pathology report but not sure what information to post here
CCC888
73 Posts
Hi Cathyb1‍ ,
I am not any medical professional. Just based on the below links I guess your stage is in between stage I to stage IIA. But of course only your oncologist(or medical team) is able to give you the actual stage.

http://www.bccancer.bc.ca/books/Documents/Breast/Breaststagingdiagram.pdf
http://www.bccancer.bc.ca/health-professionals/clinical-resources/cancer-management-guidelines/breast/breast#6-3-Early-Invasive-Breast-Cancer

*** copied and pasted from the above link for early Invasive Breast cancer ****
3.0 Early Invasive Breast Cancer (T1T2NON1: T3N0)

******************************************************************************************

http://www.bccancer.bc.ca/health-professionals/clinical-resources/cancer-management-guidelines/breast/breast#6-5-Locally-Advanced-Breast-Cancer

******** copied and pasted from the above link for locally advanced Breast cancer ****

5.0 Locally Advanced Breast Cancer (T3N1: Any T4: Any N2N3M0)

The definition of LABC varies across different randomized controlled trials. The Canadian Consensus for the definition of LABC is (pan Canadian consensus, Locally Advanced Breast Cancer Network):

• T3 or T4 tumours with any clinical N status,

• any size tumour (T) with N2 or N3 disease

This is consistent with the MD Anderson definition of Stage IIB or Stage III disease6
*******************************************************************************************

Nix
67 Posts
CCC888‍ That is a staging breakdown from 2016, in 2018 the practice of using ER/PR status and HER2 status in addition to T/M/N status as part of staging was started. This helps take in to account the characteristics of different types of breast cancer for more accurate staging (i.e. someone with triple positive BC and someone with triple negative BC with the same TMN info actually have very different needs in terms of aggressiveness of treatments etc, the updated system tries to capture that). From my understanding staging is now a much more complicated process.
Littlebeth
16 Posts
Cathyb1‍ There is a good description of staging and treatments on the American site:

https://www.cancer.net/cancer-types/breast-cancer/stages

Cathyb1
22 Posts
LilyBethNix

Thanks guys 😁
CCC888
73 Posts
Hi Nix‍ , thanks for your response.
Yes, when my SBC was diagnosed in 2018 I read about the changes in staging no for breast cancer from my siblings in U.S. I also had some questions to my oncologist at that time on the staging. I am not any medical guys. I remember he told me that was why some doctors chose not to communicate with patients in the staging no. He said in Canada what I needed to know was "my primary 10 years ago was stage IIIA, grade 3. I have MBC, in the early stage of stage 4, triple positive, treatable but incurable."
I also see the ASCO recommended staging no changes has not been included in the BC Cancer Agency link. I am not any medical guy. I think it is either outdated or it is like what we see from the documents which are posted to the link. Staging status,TNM, cancer type is more concerned rather than the staging no 8-)
Nix
67 Posts
CCC888‍ - My mom has ER+ MBC diagnosed in 2017 (primary stage 1 diagnosed in 2008). She has had no progression since diagnosis. I hope you are doing just as well as she is! Thank goodness there are so many treatment options for any combination of ER+/PR+/HER2+ BC!!
CCC888
73 Posts
Thank you Nix‍ ,
There are a few anti-HER2 agent has been put to market in Canada. But BC cancer agency (currently) funds only 2 lines of anti-HER2 therapy Herceptin and KADCYLA. After that, chemo only. Pretty SCARY. Cross my fingers and legs I hope the Herceptin + Purjeta can keep my cancer at bay as long as possible.
+ Reply